Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » When you disagree do you also disrespect? Or are they independent of each other? Why?

When you disagree do you also disrespect? Or are they independent of each other? Why?

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

I've given up arguing with a certain type of people, I feel like I've argued enough with them that I could kind of sniff them out. Others, I'll give it a go, I feel like I still have some arguing energy in me to do so. Happy Thursday to you too, Rosie :)
      March 23, 2017 11:41 AM MDT

I don't mind discussing differences of opinion as long as it is civil, polite and free of insults. That's how we learn about things we didn't know. But I don't argue. What is the point of it? Discussion is an exchange of information. Arguing is often an exchange of veiled insults. Not my cuppa tea. Of course what you mean by arguing and what I mean might not be the same thing m'dear! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday nl! :)
      March 25, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

I disagree a lot but try very,very hard not to disrespect; unfortunately people seem to interpret otherwise
      March 21, 2017 5:24 PM MDT

Semantics is always going to be at play. It is inescapable. In addition to that some people have "hot buttons" that we unknowingly push. That's the gamble we take when we open our mouths and say what we think. Thank you for your reply.
      March 23, 2017 3:09 AM MDT

• Hi RosieG,

For me, I may never even tell the person I disagree with them; I try to listen/understand, because that helps me develop my own approach. And as we dialogue they can prolly figure out for themselves my position.

I found this saying yesterday from the philosopher Spinoza, and I saved it because I like it very much: "I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them."

I also appreciate very much Tom Jackson's discussion of the changing meanings of respect.
      March 21, 2017 5:37 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Virginia and Happy Thursday. I say "I disagree with thee" and let it go at that. I never engage in battles/fights/arguments.  I just say what I think and listen to what others think and thank them for their time. I'm here to learn and engage in civil conversation.  I'm not interested in negative pursuits. Just communicating at a level that is polite. If I disagree I ALWAYS say so Virginia. If I agree I say that too. Different strokes m'dear! :) As for ridicule I engage in that a lot vis a vis politicians. Why? Because they so often are guilty of doing/saying the ridiculous the only appropriate response is to ridicule them. When Kellyanne  Conway speaks about "alternative facts" which means LIES isn't that ridiculous? When Sean Spicer insists that crowd sizes are much larger than we KNOW they are isn't that ridiculous? So I ridicule. Again different strokes m'dear! It's a weapon I use often as needed and sadly in my judgment it is needed more and more as we move on into the future. :( I scorn much of what certain politicians do/say. I bewail and berate and begrudge. Such weapons are directed at Politicians who are supposed to serve the interests of we the people but don't.  They tell us what we want to hear so we elect them and then they service themselves and the rich/powerful and we are just detritus they leave behind. SIGH. :(
      March 23, 2017 3:19 AM MDT

• I try to be respectful when I disagree with someone, unfortunately some take disagreement as a personal attack. I've had several discussions with people on a subject we do not agree on, some have kept it civil and some have gone ballistic. 
      March 23, 2017 3:03 AM MDT

I often simply say "I disagree with thee" and move on.  Why? Because it saves time. I don't enjoy going over the same thing with the same person on the same level every time they show up. It  is frankly very boring to me to do that. So I don't. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday Karen. I avoid those who are loose cannons and "go ballistic". I have no time for them! :)
      March 23, 2017 3:22 AM MDT

I can disagree without being disrespectful. Main thing is to talk about the topic and not the person.
      March 25, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c.
      March 25, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

If I disagree with someone and they take it as disrespect, I would tend to think I am the one being disrespected.

If I am only respected because I agree with the individual, then I am a sheep and deserve no respect at all.  I am not an indentured slave to someone else's opinion.
      March 25, 2017 9:26 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      March 25, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

• I think that's pretty good Sharonna.
    I think that if you are in a place where you are liked and agreed upon by most, then you have become a conformist and part of the mass.
    And then you might as well just follow.
    When I find myself standing alone, or with a tiny group, then I know im right.
    You know Sharonna, 
    I've.been thinking about this today quite a bit. 
    I wasn't sure if I was thinking right.
    I think this is quite a revolutionary thought.
    Thanks
      March 25, 2017 1:01 PM MDT