Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » For What, And How Often, Do You Use Your Food Processor?

For What, And How Often, Do You Use Your Food Processor?

Are there cooking projects for which a blender or a mixer just won't do the job?
If you were just one person, but do enjoy cooking, would it be worth it to get one?

I am finding certain recipes can really get gummed up in the blender, and too thick for the mixer also; just wondering other people's experience...

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

Never had or wanted one.
      March 21, 2017 11:57 AM MDT

• Thank you Bozette, that is pretty much where I have been for 72 years now...
      March 21, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

• My Cuisinart food processor and my spice mill are my two favorite appliances.  I used to try and make hummus crushing the chickpeas with a bottle used like a pestle.  Inefficient and messy.  Now in the processor I can make wonderful hummus with little effort.   I use the processor to grind my own curry powders. 
      March 21, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

I have a blender /chopper combo that I really like. I can't find a link, but it's made by Ninja and I think it was around  $75. It doesn't do all the fancy slicing and dicing like some of those processors do, but I am pleased with it. The blender is great, makes excellent smoothies and margaritas! 
      March 21, 2017 12:04 PM MDT

• Thank you SavvyA, I will look on Amazon, maybe your Ninja or something like it is there...
      March 21, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

I love Ninja products. If I didn't already have the blender I have now I would get one of those.
    I do have a Ninja  slowcooker that does everything and I use it all the time.
    I have a pork roast in there right now.
      March 21, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

• Good question!
    I bought one a while back, and for about a week I use it for everything, I was looking for stuff, any food stuff to throw in there, and, you know, process it.
    Then that was it!
    This is my food processor now.
      March 21, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

• That is SO funny, thank you Lago!
      March 21, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

• Yes, especially the attachment that you sorta put big pieces into like a whole potato, and then  push it against the rotating blades,  you know what I mean?
    I was actually looking for things to push thru it.
    There was something strangely satisfying about that.
      March 21, 2017 1:31 PM MDT

• It slices! It dices! It chops!  Not so good for hummus and dips though.
      March 21, 2017 2:16 PM MDT

• I don't know whistle I can go very fine with my knife. 
    I can puree an onion, using only my knife. 
    Just saying. ).
      March 21, 2017 2:22 PM MDT

• Hummm. If you can make hummus with a knife that would be impressive.  BUT!  It must be creamy, spreadable or dipable, no lumpy nonsense.
      March 21, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

• Hmm 
    OK
    Maybe not that fine.  )
      March 21, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

• Become part of the process... hahahahahahaha. Lordy.
      March 21, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

i dont use them at all, i dont like to cook, i just microwave
      March 21, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

• Thank you, Pearl!
      March 21, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

• I have one sitting on some shelves in the garage that the ex bought years ago but I've never used it lately. Last time was about five years ago when I made Oysters Rockefeller. I've found that a decent blender will do the same job unless there are big pieces you want really fine like the fennel I used with the oysters. I think it's more of a person's preference myself. My processor is just gathering dust now.
      March 21, 2017 12:40 PM MDT

• Best way to prep for bubble bags IMHO.
      March 21, 2017 1:20 PM MDT

• That is what I am afraid will happen if I get one!
      March 21, 2017 1:25 PM MDT

• I misplaced mine a while ago and wasn't able to find it till now. I see that Lago slipped in one night and stole it. I don't blame him: it does everything.
      March 21, 2017 1:05 PM MDT

• Ha ha, it's a universal blender you and Lago have then!
    Thank you Didge.
      March 21, 2017 1:27 PM MDT

We have an Oster food processor. It does everything the old grater did (Grating carrots etc. was becoming a bit too hard) So whenever my wife is making anything with grated, or chopped vegetables I get to do them with the food processor.  For bread crumbs just put the dry bread in the processor with the blade in the bottom, and presto, breadcrumbs. 
    She uses it about twice a month as she cooks carrot cake, and grates cheese for spaghetti, makes a lot of casseroles
      March 21, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

• THAT is very helpful, Maurice...I do find that I just skip recipes now that require grated vegetables or cheese, or some such thing...so your experience is a point in their favour!
      March 21, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

Slices potatoes for scalloped potatoes, and it will mix dough for pies or cakes, but we don't use it for that as she has a big mixer for that. Any vegetables you want sliced it will do. On some fancy models you can adjust the thickness of the slices.
      March 21, 2017 2:01 PM MDT