Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Engaging in conversation with those who refuse to listen to you and TELL you what you think and mean is useless so I don't. You too?

Engaging in conversation with those who refuse to listen to you and TELL you what you think and mean is useless so I don't. You too?

I don't CARE what they think. They don't listen to me any way. They have preconceived ideas that cannot be changed. Why bother talking to them? I stopped. It feels good. :)

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

I'm with you. This sounds like one of your previous questions.
      March 21, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

• We all care about what others think, regardless of what we say.
    I say that a lot, but I know it is not true.
    No?
      March 21, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

Hmm.

Where does their attitude differ from what you just presented in your question here? I've read somewhere previously that you say you want to understand the why... why others have chosen the way they have. Now how do we truly get an understanding of those different from ourselves?

To try answer my question myself; to my beliefs we won't get to understand where others come from, how they judge and make their decisions unless we have a dialogue with each other. Now, dialogue means to a higher degree also listening to each other with an open mind. Aren't we prepared to do so, we might as well drop selling the illusion that we truly want to understand the other. It becomes shallow and will be nothing but empty words.

I wish you a happy Tuesday. :-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 23, 2017 8:02 AM MDT
      March 21, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

There are certain barriers I have to understanding certain people. I am incapable of understanding racists/bigots/homophobes/misogynists/rapist/murderers/cheaters/thieves/liars/haters. That takes away millions of people from my "understanding" banquet/bouquet/smorgasbord. I have NO WISH to understand them. NONE. ZERO. ZILCH. So when I say I want to know the why it is always qualified. It does not iclude those whom I shall never understand nor do I want to try. So be it. I am very limited SH . I admit it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      March 23, 2017 7:27 AM MDT

I will agree there will be some among your mentioned list that will be hard to ever understand, although the understanding from where they come might be helpful when looking for understanding of our society and how some of these people are capable of looking at the world through their eyes. I am no way saying they are right, or are doing right. Operating with such lists is in my mind very limited and closed minded as well. It won't help tearing down the barriers and create a better understanding between you and them. In some cases, some of those you mention might even be good people, that was caught at a time in the wrong spot. As for others, you won't know for sure unless you talked with them first. Last but not least, you might fall into the trap of prejudging others by decoding their words wrongly. It happens all the time out there, and I have seen examples of it inside here. I have done so myself too, and I have been on the other end at other times. This is the outcome if we don't try to meet each other with an open mind. The hatred will be fed by such behavior and some will feel it justified because of this. I don't understand why you ask your questions if you don't want to understand the answers/replies given in respectful manners, although not in line with your beliefs. Who do aim at with your questions? And what do you believe to get from the replies if you only want to see a fragment of them? Don't we need to know the world first, before we can try change it? Well, all this is just part of my reflections based on your OP and your comment back for me. To me understanding isn't the same as accepting, but merely a way to understand where people come from, and how they can see the world the way they do. I believe some of our politicians would do better against someone like Trump had they showed such curiosity towards the citizens at an earlier stage. What frightens me is I still do not recognize that the Democrats have learned from their last lesson. I still see no change in attitude or methods. This is the really scary part. Well, this got way longer than thought, I apologize for that... it's only, I see so  much pain, but also so little efforts in really trying to make a change, and change is needed. Hate/anti-hate/ignorance/whatever name you want to call it won't make a change at all of what we see today. Nada. Zilch. Not one single person will be influenced by it in any positive way. I wrote my original reply a few days back, which is why I will once more wish you a happy day, Thursday it is.
      March 23, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

OK
      March 21, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

How is "OK" in response to "you too"? I am asking you to tell me what you do under the circumstances I outlined. Unless I am missing something.
      March 23, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

i dont like to talk to people like that either
      March 22, 2017 2:44 PM MDT