Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you like Citizens United---that corporations are people with First Amendment Rights?

Do you like Citizens United---that corporations are people with First Amendment Rights?

I'm listening to the hearing of the Supreme Court Justice nominee, Neil Gorduch. This question has come up many times. 

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

No.  I believe that this was one of the worst decisions by the SCOTUS.  This practically guarnatees that our "elected" officials will be those who raise the most money, not those who are the most qualified.
      March 21, 2017 2:14 PM MDT

@Spunky, thank you! 
      March 21, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

• I haven't learned as much about it as i should but it seems to give them advantages without  costs
      March 21, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

@Ozgirl, thank you! 
      March 21, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

• :)
      March 21, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

• Overall I think the notion of corporate personhood is preposterous.  I also think it's wrong and a disservice to the actual citizens  that a  government even creates  them in the first place.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 22, 2017 12:31 PM MDT
      March 21, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

March 22, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

Such foolishness, corporations are 'people'.  The concept is so preposterous, IMHO.
      March 21, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

Yes. Corporations being people is essential to protect the rights of the stockholders (i.e. Real people).

The problem is not that corporations have rights, it's that corporations are not really criminally punished when they step out of line.

We should treat corporations more like people. We need the occasional corporate execution to act as a deterent. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at March 22, 2017 12:03 PM MDT
      March 22, 2017 12:00 PM MDT

• We should treat people like people and things like things.  Especially government manufactured things.
      March 22, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

Corporations are not things. They are groups of people that engage in enterprise together. That group of people is collectively a person.

All we have to do is make sure that they get punished just like a real person would when they act criminally. They usually just small fines that are no deterrent.
      March 22, 2017 1:02 PM MDT

• Corporations are only people if you redefine the word.   They are not citizens,   not humans, they are non-living things.   It's a group of people, not a person.
    The stakeholders don't get to have extra rights because they are part of one.

" They are groups of people that engage in enterprise together. That group of people is collectively a person."

Then why do corporations hate communism?
      March 22, 2017 1:30 PM MDT

Well of course they do. Communism would lead to their destruction. Corporations are based on property rights. Communism rejects property rights and allows the state to consolidate all wealth. It's a thief.

The team work of a corporation is completely different from communism because corporations operate on voluntary cooperation. Communism is an authoritarian collectivism that you can't leave.

Corporations also don't have delusions of equality between people. Corporations are based on competition and meritocracy. Obviously certain people contribute more to a corporation than others and therefore deserve to benefit more. The far left are delusional and feel entitled to an equal share when they did nothing. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at March 22, 2017 2:07 PM MDT
      March 22, 2017 1:54 PM MDT