Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If Kitchenaid sexist because of pink appliances? Some think so. You?

If Kitchenaid sexist because of pink appliances? Some think so. You?

Posted - March 22, 2017

Responses

• I just read the small print. 
    And there are liberals in the world who want to put a stop to this lunacy? What's it all coming to.
    (do you know how hard that was for me to come at that with a straight face).
      March 22, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

No, a lot of women happen to like pink. If you don't want pink then just look for a different color. People just look for things to be offended by, I swear!
      March 22, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

Yes, I agree pc overload.
      March 22, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

Dang. They are so sexy it should be a violation against TOS bring the picture. It should not be allowed anywhere outside the adultMug. Even these pink apples will be more suitable inside the main room... ;-)

March 22, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

Personally I do like the color IF I needed a Kitchen Aid appliance I would get the pink. 
    What is on the apples? Chocolate?
      March 22, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

Chocolate, yes.
      March 22, 2017 11:27 PM MDT

• There's nothing wrong with offering pink appliances. Calling it "for women" though is what makes it ridiculous. As if all women have taste that horrible. 
      March 22, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

I actually love the color.  So some of us do have that taste.  The "for women" is because they are donating a portion of sales to breast cancer research.
      March 22, 2017 10:38 AM MDT

seems like it from those pictures
      March 22, 2017 10:38 AM MDT

I like them.
      March 22, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

• I'd say it walks a grey area in the grand scheme of the debate.

There's a lot going on with the statement.  Is Kitchenaid's slogan based on the color alone or is it the color chosen for Breast Cancer awareness and the "for women" tag chosen because it donates some small amount to a women's cause?  

Honestly I think the more problematic thing here is a corporation preying on people's empathy to a cause and marketing "virtues".  The BS that they are compassionate to a plight when really they are preying  to sell and profit.  If they really cared they would just donate instead of making a "Look at me and how good I am" spectacle out of it. Long story short, if they had that virtue ALL color sales would go to the donation and it wouldn't be used as a sales pitch.   Not to mention anything to do with the Susan G. Komen association is a farce to begin with that takes donations for breast cancer research but has been repeatedly found to do little for research or the cause with that money.  They are shady as hell and mostly just serve as  PR group for businesses to attach a cause to their products.  They have a horrible track record of using the funds properly.

I would also like to hear opinions on whether or not if the unbalanced focus on breast cancer over cancer as a whole is sexist?

Am I being sexist on my polls because I choose to us a pink Vs. out of the cultural association? I'm not asking out of confrontation, but I would like outsider perspective on that one.
      March 22, 2017 11:43 AM MDT

I agree regarding businesses use causes as a marketing tool.  (Much like giant corporations taking stances on social issues, imo.)  

I'm not familiar with that particular organization, but many "charities" actually put far less to the actual cause than many think.  

Regarding your polls...I didn't even notice the pink "Vs." on the one or two I have responded to.  
      March 22, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

• I'd also argue that the pink association doesn't mean female inferiority so calling sexist is somewhat a leap.  Culturally annoying, but not de facto sexist.
    Generalizations and stereotypes are still distinct from sexism and racism. 
      March 22, 2017 12:32 PM MDT

Agreed.  Personally, I think manufacturing things in pink to market them to women (tools and guns, for example) is stupid, but that's just me.  
      March 22, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

• Me too.   I really don't appreciate it. 

One that really pisses me off is the pink guns.  Bright toy colored guns as a whole do as well.   I'm not one to tell someone they can or cannot do or have something,   yet when you take firearms to that kind of style and fashion statement it doesn't look like a gun any more I think you aren't taking it seriously. Nickle and chrome plating is silly to me too but it still isn't toy looking.
      March 22, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

Exactly!  The pink tools crack me up, and if a woman wants to buy them, that's her call.  As a woman who has made her living using tools, though, I've never cared for them.  
      March 22, 2017 12:56 PM MDT

They chose pink because it is the color used by breast cancer charity group in the UK....I don't remember the name but it is not SGK. Personally I don't donate to SGK because of their support for Planned Parenthood. But pink is the color for breast cancer, if anyone sees a woman with a pink ribbon, we all know it means breast cancer.
    I don't have a problem with a business picking a product and using it for charity. They don't have to donate anything so whatever they do is a good thing.
      March 22, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

• Well the pink campaign and association was created by the SGK.

I withdraw my  statement as a factor about it.  Honest mistake.

I dislike  virtue signalling as a character trait and especially hate it when a company does it.  It's using charity for selfish reasons and doesn't deserve a pat-on-the-back because of that.
      March 22, 2017 12:38 PM MDT

• This is a tough one.
    If this is just part of a campaign to raise awareness for breast cancer I would think it is not sexist.  I mean that's the color of their ribbon thing.
    On the other hand, if we go by the definition of sexism as it relates to stereotyping based on sex, it would be hard not to see it as a blatant attempt from the company to.use sexism to sell their product. 
    On the third hand, aren't all marketing ploys that target women specifically sexist? 
    What about cleaning products commercials, showing a happy housewife moping the floor. Are they exist? Good question.
      March 22, 2017 12:24 PM MDT

Marketing uses what works.
    Pink has definately been established as the breast cancer color.
    Humor and sex sell....
    Do you think the sexy Mr Clean Super Bowl commercial was sexist? Showed a woman attacking her man after watching him clean (She was seeing Mr Clean....)
      March 22, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

• Yes
      March 22, 2017 12:52 PM MDT

I just considered it funny. Actually was one on my top SB commercials this year.

So it is sexist towards the woman or the man or both?
      March 22, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

• He wasn't attacking her husband because he was cleaning, she did because she pictured him as an athletic different man doing a sexy dance. It portrays housewives as sex craved women who would lose it at the sight of a dancing man wearing spandex. It also says that if you're a man, cleaning, and short and fat, you're not man enough to do you woman unless you're the guy she's imagining. 
    You're right, tho, it is funny. But it is still stereotypically sexist. 
      March 22, 2017 6:19 PM MDT

• OH MY SOUL.....

Then everything ever to do with sexuality is sexist.   This isn't gender inequality in that commercial.   Sexist means a belief one gender is better or deserves more rights than the other.   SHEESH.
    Sexism exist so why try and make it up where it doesn't?

This is starting to sound like the call people  "ze" instead of he and she BS.
      March 23, 2017 12:25 AM MDT

• You think? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 23, 2017 8:00 AM MDT
      March 23, 2017 4:55 AM MDT