Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » FACEBOOK. A peep show for perverts?

FACEBOOK. A peep show for perverts?

A 15-year-old girl in Chicago was sexually assaulted by 5-6 men/boys as people watched on FB. No one reported it. They just viewed it. At least 40 were alleged to have watched. I always wondered what the FB appeal was for over a billion people. I've read about internet bullies on FB who stalk and attack and have driven some to suicide. Now we find it is also a place one can watch crimes being committed in the comfort of their homes. Amazing the progress we have made in technology. Too bad we haven't made similar progress in ourselves. Our ancestors used to gather in the town squares and watch hangings. Before that they watched beheadings.  A few also watched "witches" being burned alive. Before that they gathered in arenas and watched lions devour human beings. Before that?  I supposed watching a young girl being raped multiple times isn't as bad as watching a snuff film  or other murders. I suppose one could call that progress. :(

Posted - March 22, 2017

Responses

i think the people that do nothing are worse than the pervs sometimes
      March 22, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

Pervs are everywhere, including on innocent-appearing websites. The internet draws them out because of its anonymity. They thrive under the guise of free speech and are enabled by facilitators who provide them a platform.

Better to call it regress than progress.   
      March 22, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

You'd think with the advances in  the quality of electronics there would be a concomitant advance in the quality of those who use them. I know what you're going to say Louie. "Not necessarily". SIGH. Thank you for your reply. I don't know  how old you are m'dear but many decades ago in New York City I believe a woman was being raped and was screaming for help. People heard and saw from their apartment windows and did nothing to try to help her. They just observed. I never forgot that. Now horrors like that are available in your own home due to the folks who post it. To brag about it? I know they're sick but what does that say about those who watch and do nothing?  Nothing good. :( Happy Thursday Louie! :)
      March 23, 2017 2:09 AM MDT

Good and bad everywhere, not just FB and FB has zillions who use it wisely and safely, harming no one; nowhere's perfect not even here.
      March 22, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      March 23, 2017 2:10 AM MDT

• It's a very sad reflection of the times we live in.  We seem to have become desensitized to violence but I think this is pretty low.  If they know that 40 people watched this and did not report a crime in progress then I hope they can trace those people.  What a horrendous thing to happen to a young girl who will never be the same.
      March 22, 2017 11:47 PM MDT

I mentioned this in my reply to another respondent on this thread Yogafan and I'm going to bring it up to you as well m'dear. Many decades ago in New York City a woman was being raped and screaming for help. People in the surrounding apartments heard and watched and did nothing. I don't know how many of them there were! Oh! I just remembered her name. I think it was Kitty Genovese or something like that. It could have been before your time since I don't know your age. That has always haunted me. Now some crazy lunatic people commit crimes and film them and post them on the internet! Are they proud of it? What is it that those who watch and do/say nothing get out of it?   Are we becoming less human over time? Less caring? Less involved with one another? It is very disheartening. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday. I wondered about that too. How did they KNOW how many watched? Did the watchers brag about watching it?  SIGH
      March 23, 2017 2:17 AM MDT

I believe it inspired a lot of research and papers on "the bystander effect" - if you care, look it up; my daughter was studying it for psychology.
      March 23, 2017 2:19 AM MDT

Thank you for your comment.
      March 23, 2017 2:33 AM MDT

The notorious Kitty Genovese murder-rape has found its way into the culture in such varied forms as TV shows, movies, novels, short stories, pop music, the stage, True Crime articles, and, as Daydream mentioned, into textbooks on psychology. There's only one problem with all of this - IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Yes, Kitty Genovese was murdered and raped but the ensuing public hysteria over bystanders doing nothing was a media creation - by the New York Times, no less. Fifty-two years after the crime, the Times printed a retraction calling the original article "grossly exaggerated".

For those interested, read the Wikipedia article on the events.

In no way, does this detract from the horror re the FB story as noted by RosieG. It's just a matter of setting the record straight on one of the most famous crimes of the 20th century. 

Sometimes FAKE NEWS is actually fake, not made-up fake as some claim today.   
      March 23, 2017 6:00 AM MDT

Thank you for the historical correction Louie. I appreciate it.
      March 23, 2017 6:08 AM MDT