Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Family » Dumb vacations?

Dumb vacations?

Why do parents insist on dumb vacations?  Driving across half the country to look at a hole in AZ, or going to some fake village where people dress goofy and speak like jerks?

Parents are stupid.

Posted - March 22, 2017

Responses

My vacations, or holidays are fabulous, my kids have said so - I always did what I knew they wanted, castles, mines, sea, Venice.
      March 22, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

• Can I come to the next castle vacation?
      March 22, 2017 6:18 PM MDT

• A "hole in AZ"? C'mon. 

While your point on parents' choices of vacations not being the choice of their offspring is solid, lets not lose perspective Of natural wonders. It might be worthwhile to consider who does all the work to make vacations happen in the first place and be glad they actually elect to take their ungrateful brats along. 

March 22, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

• Well, you're right it is a natural wonder.  It is natural to wonder why we are looking at a big hole.  If parents want to go look at a hole fine! They can go look at the stupid hole and leave their ungrateful brats at home. Who can be grateful for a dumb vacation?!   Their brats wouldn't be ungrateful if they weren't dragged along on a dumb vacation! And if parents are unhappy about working to provide for their kids they shouldn't have become parents. 
      March 22, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

• Be sure to beg for no more vacations. Ever. No doubt a load will be lifted from parents no longer feeling compelled to enrich their spoiled children's existence. Not to mention how much better their own experience would be traveling without insolent whiny babies with no respect for their efforts. Who needs to force actual experiences and family memories when you can just plug 'em in and leave 'em home. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 22, 2017 11:10 PM MDT
      March 22, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

• Their efforts would be respected if they were better efforts.  They spend heaps of money on dumb vacations when everyone would be much happier with a movie and pizza.  And we wouldn't whine about traveling to see our grandparents.  They have a nearby hole to look at which one can also swim in. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 22, 2017 6:01 PM MDT
      March 22, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

• I was speaking in general terms to avoid singling anyone out. That said:
    I will make mention that it is amusingly consistant that anyone obtuse enough to call the Grand Canyon a "stupid hole", would find pizza and a movie preferable by comparison.  

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 22, 2017 11:10 PM MDT
      March 22, 2017 6:27 PM MDT

• If you are unhappy with pizza Chinese will be ok. 
      March 22, 2017 6:37 PM MDT

• The dumb vacations are the ones I remember fondly from my childhood . Driving in an ugly as' station wagon to place called storyland with some giant dud mascot in a jacked up bunny  costume that was scary as faak' no rides , just weird crumbling bunch of statues from kids story's weird park :)...then sleeping in a cheap motel  that had no pool... so myself and family played in swamp out back and caught frogs . Dumb ,,but memorable and fun :) when I got a bit older ( over ten is older) and my mom remarried we flew to disney world  once a year  ... don't really remwber a thing about those trips ... Except the hell on earth called "it's a small world " ride.

March 22, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

• If the vacation was memorable and fun it wasn't dumb.  Your description reminds me of the Goosebumps tale, "Horror Land". 
      March 22, 2017 6:13 PM MDT

• It was kinda like a horror land :) was weird as' place all run down ... I love memory of  it .... Just meant at time seemed like shizzity  dumb vacation .... But it's one of my favourite memories... Trips to Florida and Vermont that should be good memories, unmemorable..... For me.
      March 22, 2017 6:17 PM MDT

• I went to Ben and Jerry's in VT. 
      March 22, 2017 6:21 PM MDT

• I went there too:) my moms boyfriend had a time share in Stowe :)
      March 22, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

• A Stowe Away?
      March 22, 2017 6:38 PM MDT

• Lol :) Stowe , Vermont :/ But I'm guessing you're being  facetious :p

March 22, 2017 6:42 PM MDT

• Leave Vermont where it is.  No need to Stowe it anywhere. 
      March 22, 2017 6:44 PM MDT

• You're punny ;p
      March 22, 2017 6:46 PM MDT

• No way! If it wasn't for those I never would have seen my little sister get trampled by a herd of deer fawns at Marineland. 
    Never watch my sister scream crying from watching the cowboys at FrontierTown.
    Missed out on scaring my sister into a panic  by dragging  her to the haunted houses in Niagara Falls.
    Never seen my sister yet again being trampled, this time by reindeer, in the petting zoo  at Santa's Workshop in North Pole
    Laughing at my sister getting pounded on by bumperboats at Enchanted Forest.

March 22, 2017 6:04 PM MDT

• Deer at Marineland?  We're they some genetic mutation?

Did your sister ever have turn about to laugh at you?

I bet someone got a lickin'.
      March 22, 2017 6:15 PM MDT

• For some strange reason they had a petting zoo with deer.   Marineland actually sucked other than that.  It had little to do there and you had to walk a barren sun baked hell for what seemed like miles. The whole time engulfed by Asians that wanted to take pictures of everything.   I do mean EVERYTHING.   It goes to figure that she was the one who wanted to go there. 
      March 22, 2017 6:22 PM MDT

• Maybe you slipped into the afterlife.

Why did your parents surrender to you sister's request?  Boys, especially if older, should be making such decisions. 
      March 22, 2017 6:27 PM MDT

• Not in my family.   It was 50/50 on that kinda stuff.  I was indifferent to the idea of going,  but none of us were all that impressed.
      March 22, 2017 6:33 PM MDT

• I went that same Santa's work shop I think cos just over border .... Did you go place called frontier town too? Is close there :)
      March 22, 2017 6:19 PM MDT

• YES!!   You took the train and it gets held up.  Then there is the shoot out in town after you get off.   I loved it, my sister had a mental breakdown thinking it was real until the actors got up and calmed her down.
    We stayed at this motel with a giant pirate ship to play in. I remember making a ring at Santa's Workshop. Good times!
      March 22, 2017 6:28 PM MDT