Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Element 99
Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Family » Dumb vacations?

Dumb vacations?

Why do parents insist on dumb vacations?  Driving across half the country to look at a hole in AZ, or going to some fake village where people dress goofy and speak like jerks?

Parents are stupid.

Posted - March 22, 2017

Responses

• I Remwber that place so well :) Was Summer between grade one and two I went :)I know that cos I really did write  a little book about in grade 2 :) on computer time in hall ... Was about robber on train ... only thing I Remwber was he walked up to me saw I was chewing gum .... Asked me if I had some for him  share with him .... So I swallowed my gum cos I was terrified :( that's what book was about :) lol sure I still have it somewhere :) I'll take pic show you sometime :) I Remwber shoot out too ... Just lady on horse ...: white dress ... Blood .... Blurry memory  :)
      March 22, 2017 6:37 PM MDT

• lol....  I remember it very well.   Closed down early 2000's
      March 22, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

• Did the Santa work shop close down too? I know they are in same area  cos did on same road trip ... The Santa work shop was dumb ... I think .... Cos no memory much about that.  
      March 22, 2017 6:53 PM MDT

• Nah that's still open.    I remember the ring and reindeer but not many other specifics.  Both were on the same trip exploring the Adirondacks so Lake Placid, those places, and Old Forge kinda fight for memory space.
      March 22, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

• I see :) Remwber go there day after frontier town and not impressed. Just remember see Santa and Mrs Claus and a candy shop.... Is that in New York State then yeah? proximity to Alex bay? I kinda forgot about till tonight :) I wanna find my book though cos I Remwber my about the author was lame as' think said favourite Colour red ... And someting amount my cat that died :) lol :)
      March 22, 2017 7:08 PM MDT

• FrontierTown is the highlight of those two for sure.

Not really that close.  Somewhere around 2hrs.
      March 22, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

• Oh :) maybe was on way home then.... I just kno for sure same road trip second  day .... Holy faaak!!!!Which park had rain dance? I Remwber do rain dance with Indians ... Now called native Americans .. Athens it rained and park shut down ... Know now was coincidence ... But I really thought I made it rain... That's frontier town one?
      March 22, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

• Yeah! :D  
    It's all coming back.  I don't usually get this nostalgic while sober.
      March 22, 2017 7:28 PM MDT

• Ha! I'm sober too :) I had honestly forgot the rain dance till just few minutes ago....that was frontier town , for sure :) I did  dance with my dad ... Then , honestly few minutes later pour rain. I was ugly cry after  .... Cos I really thought I did and ended the day .... I was happy that day :) remember walk by big walls with cannons  beg my dad go back dance again with me  to fix it :) was one day I really remember we all happy and I was sure I fooked it up .... Cos dance ;)
      March 22, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

• That's cute, then sad. 
      March 22, 2017 7:40 PM MDT

• It's neither really :) lol :) I honestly forgot that part of that day till tonight .... Just remembered  train and robber and girl in white dress with blood ... I'm happy I got that other memory back :) 
      March 22, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

• Cool beans.
      March 22, 2017 7:50 PM MDT

• Ahhhh!?? lol :) 
      March 22, 2017 7:51 PM MDT

•   March 22, 2017 7:57 PM MDT

• You told me a shut up!!!!! At least in my language ;) 
      March 22, 2017 7:59 PM MDT

• I just noticed that....
      March 22, 2017 8:05 PM MDT

• Lol you did :) just read your whole answer :) I LOVED THAT PLACE!!!! And train get held up on by guy with bandana over face ....I wrote a book about it in grade one :)
      March 22, 2017 6:21 PM MDT

Most of my childhood vacations were in Scotland because that's where my grandparents lived. Every time I had a break from school, that's where i would go. Then my grandmother had a stroke, and my mother wanted to be closer to her, so, we moved up there. That's the point it no longer became a holiday destination, it became a residence instead. I lived there for 3 years. I look at pictures of Scotland now, and even look at my own pictures of Scotland from that time, and it's spectacular beauty of green countryside, rivers, rocky hills and woodlands is breathtaking. But back then I didn't notice it. Or I didn't care about it. 
      March 22, 2017 7:51 PM MDT

Adults can be stupid too....we went to west rim, Grand Canyon last June, Hualapai Ranch, it had nothing but one or two shacks and a guy with a pistol who allowed us to shoot on some funny board...later at eagle point, 3 red Indians in their traditional costumes were swaying relentlessly...as if they were puppets.....we paid $100 ...for the trip of course the saving grace was the skywalk.
    I had read so much about Beverly Hills, so when we visited LA, we paid $100 again for a bus ride to that place, all famous actors live in fortified houses....sheer waste of time and money.
    In San Diego we again paid $100 a ticket for a jungle safari....nothing worth that amount of money.
    we learnt our lesson, we avoid these tour buses and go on our own nowadays;)) This post was edited by Veena.K at March 22, 2017 7:54 PM MDT
      March 22, 2017 7:54 PM MDT

• I never went to any frontier village or Santa's Workshop or whatever, but I loved visiting Yosemite and Mt. Shasta and King's Canyon. Seeing natural wonders is something everyone should do. 
      March 22, 2017 8:38 PM MDT

• I've heard all the "why did we have to come heeeeere" complaints and yet they laugh and hash over the smallest details of the trip.  They remember the exact spot where we had to stop to let little brother out to pee the restaurant that had "Jesus Is Lord" on the bottom of the sign and when we got inside beside the menu "Prepare to Meet Thy Doom" it's in Arkansas if anyone wants to try it and the Dr Pepper museum which I can only say don't ever bother going to.  You just can't buy memories like these.

March 22, 2017 11:23 PM MDT