Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Communication » The media took a break from covering its favorite subject and focused on the terrorist attack in London. Will it always be thus?

The media took a break from covering its favorite subject and focused on the terrorist attack in London. Will it always be thus?

It's very sad that it takes death and injury and terrorism to get folks refocused on something else/someone else, if only temporarily. A tragic break from 24/7 sameoldsameoldsameoldsameold. I wonder how many other "tragic breaks" are being planned right now for other places in the world?

Posted - March 23, 2017

Responses

In news, Bad News sells, bad news that affects you indirectly sells better, bad news that affects you directly sells best.  Good news does not sell well at all.  (Why? I cannot say.  People seem to enjoy being pessimistic.)
      March 23, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

Years ago on Answerbag I asked a question about  "why not have a TV news channel that only reports GOOD news"? Something like that. The consensus was "no one will watch". I thought that was shocking. You just corroborated it. I'll tell ya Maurice sometimes we just "run away" to TCM. Turner Classic Movies. There are no commercials so you can escape the daily cacophony of awfulness and cocoon yourself with a movie. There are no "breaking news" interruptions. It doesn't matter if you've seen the movie before. Anything to stop the awful noise!  "Breaking News' is never nice/positive/splendid/happy.Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      March 25, 2017 5:54 AM MDT