Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Communication » People LISTEN to many things. How much do they actually HEAR? How much of that do they really UNDERSTAND? How do you know?

People LISTEN to many things. How much do they actually HEAR? How much of that do they really UNDERSTAND? How do you know?

Posted - March 23, 2017

Responses

• I worked in the medical profession for a while and my office was next to the psychologist.  He told me they make couples repeat back what the other one said because they only absorb half of what they hear. 

I think in my husband's case it's probably more like 25%.  He has the ability to tune out anything his brain doesn't want to hear especially bickering children standing within two feet of him.

March 23, 2017 9:31 PM MDT

The ability to "tune out" can save one's  sanity at times though m'dear. I think it is a great skill to have but of course the downside is if you are the one being tuned out it's not so great! Thank you for your reply. I think that psychologist was very smart in doing that.  I believe we truly think we hear and get and understand what others say and react to that when maybe we missed the point entirely! And so it goes! Thank you for your reply Yogafan! :)
      March 24, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

• My husband would agree with you about the sanity part.
      March 27, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

Thank you for your comment.
      March 28, 2017 6:59 AM MDT