Active Now

Randy D
Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Family » Why are parents so difficult to please?

Why are parents so difficult to please?

Parents say, "A job worth doing is worth doing right."   But when I take this advice and skip a chore I find not worth doing they're angry.

Posted - March 23, 2017

Responses

Maybe they still expect you to do it, you just don't have to do it right. Also, I don't remember my parents ever saying that..
      March 23, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

• Then why do it at all?
      March 23, 2017 6:49 PM MDT

Because it's better than not doing it at all, I guess.
      March 23, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

• Leave it go long enough and they'll do it themselves honoring the aphorism, "If you want a job done right, do it yourself."
      March 23, 2017 7:42 PM MDT

• That has nothing to do with being difficult to please. The saying means that with any job you have to do, you do it right. Meaning, the chore you skipped should have been done right, not ignored. Plus, they told you to do the chore not ignore it.
      March 23, 2017 6:41 PM MDT

• The snappy little quip states that a job worth doing is worth doing right.  The corollary is that a job not worth doing should be done right. If it is not worth doing right why bother at all?
      March 23, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

My parents said "If you are going to do something, do it right". Now if they told me to do something...I was supposed to do it therefore it had to be done right.

I tell my kids what the Bible says: Whatever you do, do it as into the Lord. This post was edited by my2cents at March 23, 2017 6:56 PM MDT
      March 23, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

• Sparrows and lilies don't toil, why should I?
      March 23, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

If you don't work, you don't eat.
      March 23, 2017 8:07 PM MDT

• The sparrows don't sow, yet they eat.
      March 24, 2017 5:39 AM MDT

You seem to have a natural talent for finding loopholes often included in ancient maxims---They're probably not so hard to please, they are just a little frustrated by your ability to cut through the bovine excrement that are usually a part of such aphorisms.  
      March 23, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

• Learning to kick aside the poo is part of philosophy.
      March 23, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

Seems strange to me that you don't get it.
    If you have a chore to do 
    you do it. Don't like it
    and don't not like it.
    Just do it if it is your duty 
    and responsibility.
    .....Let not the chore matter
    Be in a happy peaceful state of mind
    no matter if cleaning toilet
    or playing music.
      March 23, 2017 7:22 PM MDT

• This sounds like some nonsense from "Chop Wood, Carry Water".  One would also need to define the concept of "duty".  And the "Don't like it and don't not like it"?  Spurious double talk.  And I was in a peaceful state of mind before being asked to do the chore disrupted it. I  should have been allow to pursue my peace in peace. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 23, 2017 7:37 PM MDT
      March 23, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

Well personally I try to do everything I do well, and perhaps that's what your parents meant, albeit that they said it clumsily and lazily by using an old expression that probably doesn't translate well these days. Unfortunately we sometimes have to do things we don't want to
      March 24, 2017 5:02 AM MDT

Perhaps they are trying to prepare you for life! After you leave home, you will have to provide for yourself. The normal way is to get a job and earn a living. When you get a job, you have to do as the boss says, or get fired. The people who get ahead are the ones who approach every task as a task worth doing right. After you make lots of money and are independently wealthy, you can decide what and how to do things.
      March 24, 2017 10:53 AM MDT