Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » How do you feel about this?

How do you feel about this?

Just saw a news story out of North Carolina.  A jewelry store changed up their billboard which is located over an interstate, with a new marketing campaign.  It has upset a number of people who are insisting the new advertisement be taken down.  

Is this another example of our society becoming too PC?  Or should the sign be removed because it incites violence against women?

What do you think and why do you feel this way?

Here's one link to the story:

http://counton2.com/2017/03/24/north-carolina-billboard-sparks-plans-for-protest/

Posted - March 24, 2017

Responses

• Sigh. Again you're missing the point.
      March 24, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

• Remember the soccer player that faked an injury? And even though the video was clear, the fans continued to argue?
    It's sorta like that. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 28, 2017 1:22 PM MDT
      March 24, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

• yes.
      March 24, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

Thank you for you input Lucia.  I actually think your hardware store "ad" is pretty funny.  But, then again, I'm not a Christian.  In thinking about it, I do think the big difference would be showing a person in physical pain as opposed to what is on this particular billboard.  I can see how some people might think throwing rocks might look like it promotes violence toward women but TBH, it never entered my mind upon my initial view of it until I heard the woman organizing the march talking about why she was upset.  My personal view is that I think it's a very clever ad that people have read far more into than what was originally intended but, since that can of worms was opened, it would be in the best interest of the community to remove it.
      March 24, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

• That's interesting, Harry. My intilal thoughts were quite the opposite, and I'm still not clear about the clever part. I think the verb is too aggressive - in whatever context - to be seen as harmless. If a man daid to me 'I'm gonna throw this at you, woman' I might look askanced. 
    I'm still curious about the caveat 'sometimes'. 
      March 24, 2017 10:11 AM MDT

It is not physical "throwing" anything at anyone. 
    Just as if someone complains about a someone trying to fix a problem by "throwing money at it"  again no one is physically throwing dollar bills at the problem. 
      March 24, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

Lucia, maybe it has something to do with context in differing countries?  m2c brought up one of the first things I thought of when I saw the ad.  I didn't think anyone was going to literally throw gem stones at their significant other but that they would "give" it to them.   I mentioned it in my post to WW further down.  We say "throw money at a problem" to make it disappear.  We don't literally mean throw your money but just pay whatever it takes to get the problem resolved.  Do you have that phrase in UK?  Do you also use the word "rock" as another word for a gem stone like we do?  It's hard for me to imagine anyone actually throwing anything at another person, much less something that is of such great value and has been specifically purchased with the intention of presenting it to the person they love.        
      March 24, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

• It's nothing to do with 'linguistic misunderstanding', Harry. I just don't agree. ) 

March 24, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

Fair enough.
      March 24, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

• How bout a diapers advert...

"Sometimes it's ok to change your old relatives. Buy Depends. "

March 24, 2017 12:40 PM MDT

• Ha!
      March 24, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

Thanks for your feedback m2c.  My first thought was, this is a very clever ad.   Never occurred to me that anyone would think it was anything more than a smart marketing campaign.
      March 24, 2017 9:49 AM MDT

• Before even reading the article I knew this was way to PC. When I saw the picture, I thought the exact same thing the owners said that it was a clever play on words from the old playground days up to the proposal, not domestic violence against women...
      March 24, 2017 5:31 AM MDT

Thanks for your thoughts Corey.  You are mirroring what initially went through my mind. 
      March 24, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

• Oh puhleeze....rolls eyes.....these people have waaaaay too much time on their hands! Throw rocks at me! I dare ya....(as I pick them up in my bag) throwing rocks comes nowhere near domestic violence, and to think it does is kinda obsurd imo.
      March 24, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

• When has 'throwing rocks' become synonymous with giving women jewelry, I just looked it up and it isn't as far as I know. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and I will accept that. 
    But even the billboard implies - by the use of the word 'sometimes' - that there are occasions when it is not ok to throw rocks at women. When would those inappropriate times be.
      March 24, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

Hi again Lucia.  I am quite concerned at your distress over this.  I am sorry it has upset you so.  I tried to explain the wording in one of my responses above.  I think it might have to do with our phraseology here.  But, evidently, there are some women in this country that view it the way you do.  I dare say, it's become quite the conundrum for the owners of the jewelry store.  But, it has also led to nationwide free publicity which, who knows, may have been the intention all along.
      March 24, 2017 11:21 AM MDT

• I think it's quite concerning your distress, Ms Lucia. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 24, 2017 12:52 PM MDT
      March 24, 2017 12:51 PM MDT

Lago, do you believe my comment to Lucia was insincere?  It wasn't.  I posted something that I thought was interesting and people could have a reasoned discussion over, since I've read complaints that we just don't have enough questions.  I never expected anyone to become as upset and angry over this as has occurred today.      
      March 24, 2017 3:51 PM MDT

• Believe me Harry, my style can be direct in a round about sort of why. It's all good.
      March 24, 2017 11:12 PM MDT

Thank for responding Angela.  I've pretty much stated what my thoughts are in a couple of my responses above but what you are stating is pretty much my initial response when I saw the report. 
      March 24, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

• I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's pretty good myself. I sure don't see anything that's not PC correct. This is getting out of hand!
      March 24, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

I couldn't decide whether to laugh or shake my damn head...so I'm doing both.
      March 24, 2017 6:29 AM MDT

• I agree!
      March 24, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

• Careful,  that's an easy way top throw one's back out.
      March 24, 2017 10:50 AM MDT