Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » How do you feel about this?

How do you feel about this?

Just saw a news story out of North Carolina.  A jewelry store changed up their billboard which is located over an interstate, with a new marketing campaign.  It has upset a number of people who are insisting the new advertisement be taken down.  

Is this another example of our society becoming too PC?  Or should the sign be removed because it incites violence against women?

What do you think and why do you feel this way?

Here's one link to the story:

http://counton2.com/2017/03/24/north-carolina-billboard-sparks-plans-for-protest/

Posted - March 24, 2017

Responses

• Dear Harry,
    I started learning political correctness back in 1967 and really enjoyed it, and that was long before the term even came into vogue.

But this sign I really enjoyed the cleverness, I see it as just fine!
      March 24, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

The people wanting it down should get a life.

If it were up to me I'd make political correctness illegal. Time Mr Trump took action. 
      March 24, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

If you see the sign as support for anti PC, and Trump as something to strive for I'll have to disagree.
      March 24, 2017 8:06 AM MDT

• So showing a collective common decency towards people should be made illegal, should it. Now I agree with you up to a point - it's that sort of consideration that's stopping me calling you a mindless, reactionary tw*t. And you're right, I should be able do that and in doing that I would be getting a life.
    Good point.
      March 24, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

Not sure how to respond to this Malizz.  I don't know you well enough to know how to interpret your response.  I agree that I think the hubbub over it is a bit out of hand but, are you being serious here or just joking?    
      March 24, 2017 10:45 AM MDT

• How bout this, 
    How bout you tell me about your life, and I tell you about mine, then we go the section of the site where everything goes, and we can have a conversation without ANY considerations for political correctness, whatsoever.
    I tell you more, you can bring as many anti PC friends you want.
    Im game...
      March 24, 2017 10:49 AM MDT

True with the one you love. I like that one.
      March 24, 2017 8:07 AM MDT

• Hmmm...I rather like that also...'the one you love'...it does remove any level of reference to violence against women, also. Nice job, WW!
      March 24, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

I like that better too.
      March 24, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

Hi WW.  Thank you for such a thoughtful reply.  I've responded to others that, initially I thought it was a very clever marketing campaign.  Then, seeing the response from some women, I realized as you did, that this ad was being directed solely at the straight population.  I absolutely agree with you about the sign being sexist.  I too think they would have avoided this whole firestorm if they didn't use the word "girls" in it and just said "sometimes it's okay to throw rocks...."  However, one thing you mention just didn't occur to me.  That, as adults, we would want to throw rocks at someone we love.  I haven't ever had the impulse to throw things at people when I'm angry.  I have a tendency to walk away when tempers are flaring.  When I first saw the ad, I thought they were using "throw" as a metaphor, as we do when we say something like, "just throw a lot of money at it and the problem will go away." So I thought they were just using  the word "throw" in a playful way instead of using the usual word of "giving" someone you love, a precious gem stone.
      March 24, 2017 10:40 AM MDT

I don't know what you do for a living, but I think marketing just might be your niche. :-)
      March 24, 2017 10:48 AM MDT

• Yeah right, my first thought was to go get some rocks and fire away at some little old lady crossing the street.  The witch hunters spend their time combing through what everybody says or doesn't say and read all the signs and the emblems, etc to see if they can find something to whine about. They are the ones causing most of the division. First amendment is really just fading away.
      March 24, 2017 8:43 AM MDT

Advertising is usually aimed at a specific demographic.

And this appeals to the atavistic in us men.

So possibly not in the best of taste, but clever.

And frankly I'm tired of somebody being offended by anything and everything---Grow up, you small minded people people who need a Xanax to take a sh*t. This post was edited by tom jackson at March 28, 2017 1:57 AM MDT
      March 24, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

• Good answer Tom !
      March 24, 2017 9:02 AM MDT

Thanks, Rooster
      March 24, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

LOL!  Thanks for your input Tom.

P.S.  I thought Xanax has a tendency to make people constipated. :-) 
      March 24, 2017 10:51 AM MDT

Wasn't aware of that as a side effect.  Perhaps one should go back to Valium.
      March 24, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

• It is actually liberating finding people like you guys, that think this PC is needless and pointless, it makes it a lot easier for me to point out the stupidity of that comment. Believe me, im still being PC.
      March 24, 2017 10:55 AM MDT

• This recreational  outrage is why it's ridiculous.

Image result for I'm triggered meme
      March 24, 2017 4:15 PM MDT

LOL!
      March 24, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

• You honestly don't see the.irony on that.
      March 24, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

• Nope....

You say you hate passive-aggressive. Here's the irony.
    "It is actually liberating finding people like you guys, that think this PC is needless and pointless, it makes it a lot easier for me to point out the stupidity of that comment. Believe me, im still being PC. "
      March 24, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

• That's the irony of the recreationally outraged.   They get triggered then call it out on those who call BS on it.  It's the " I'm rubber you're glue" defence.
      March 24, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

• Do you really not see the.irony on you saying all this, going around answering to my comments, none of them directed to you , but im the one triggered. You really don't see that.
      March 24, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

• No lago,   I see it as being an answermug user.   Apparently it's only okay when Lago does it?  I didn't come running to every thread update as it was made so...     Do you understand what the word means?
      March 24, 2017 5:32 PM MDT