Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » How do you feel about this?

How do you feel about this?

Just saw a news story out of North Carolina.  A jewelry store changed up their billboard which is located over an interstate, with a new marketing campaign.  It has upset a number of people who are insisting the new advertisement be taken down.  

Is this another example of our society becoming too PC?  Or should the sign be removed because it incites violence against women?

What do you think and why do you feel this way?

Here's one link to the story:

http://counton2.com/2017/03/24/north-carolina-billboard-sparks-plans-for-protest/

Posted - March 24, 2017

Responses

• Im just going to let you be angry.
      March 24, 2017 6:06 PM MDT

• I'm perfectly calm dude. Calmer than you are.    Considering what's good for the goose is not good for the gander. We might as well end this and be done here.  Can't debate conjecture and deflection with passive-aggressive statements.  
      March 24, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

• Hey man, people are going to get pissed off, I get pissed, you get pissed,. That's just how it works, tomorrow this same group is probably going to be loling about something else. It don't mean nothing.
      March 24, 2017 6:27 PM MDT

I agree.
      March 24, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

• Oh TJ that is funny!
      March 24, 2017 9:10 AM MDT

I think it's a clever advertisement and anyone who interprets it to mean it supports violence against women is way too thin-skinned. 
      March 24, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

It is silly isn't it?
      March 24, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

• Context.
      March 24, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

• I like it, it's kinda cute. Those who are taking it as violence against women need to get a life. 
      March 24, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

The sign reminds me of Tetris. Take a look at it again and you'll see why. I don't see anything violent in the message. 
      March 24, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

Righty, lol, it did remind me of Tetris.   
      March 24, 2017 11:23 AM MDT

• I would equate that to this...
    "Sometimes, it's ok to throw christians to the lions, 
    Visit our family friendly zoo."

I think that's clever and funny. No?

What about...

"Sometimes it's ok to beat the.elderly.....at a game of cards!!" This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 24, 2017 3:34 PM MDT
      March 24, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

Lago, I know you didn't intend this but, with my twisted sense of humor, I find both those scenarios very clever and funny.  That second one really had me laughing out loud.  Growing up, I played cards with my grandmother all the time.  
      March 24, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

• You're missing the context.   It doesn't encourage violence or to actually throw rocks at anyone.

It's called a pun for crying out loud.

And yes,  those are good too.
      March 24, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

It wouldn't bother me at all if someone wanted to throw those rocks at me all day long.
    And BTW, I am not PC or ever have been.
      March 24, 2017 12:57 PM MDT

Oh gag!
      March 24, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

• That's it, that's exactly it!

You said it for me where my words failed. Thank you. I can't say that enough. 
      March 24, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

• OK, let's us take another direction. The pic you posted earlier could cause trauma for someone who has been sexually molested. It could cause someone to panic at the sight of what you posted. Did you mean it that way??? No you didn't. You have a valid question, and there is nothing wrong with that, unless someone who has been attacked sees it and has a meltdown.  There are all kinds of things that can offend someone, or cause them stress. I'm very sorry for the women who have gone through what you posted above, but, they can learn that things like the billboard are not promoting violence. 
      March 24, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

• I get a good one in sometimes. I do understand the hardships and predigest women face in other countries, I am in no way dismissing that. It's horrible what they go through, and I wish I had the power to change it, but I don't. We are PC'ing ourselves to the point of breaking. It's going to get to the point where just telling someone to have a nice day will be offensive. People need to put on their big people pants and stop crying over every little thing that happens or is said to them, or not to them. Common sense needs to make a come back, quickly. Save the fight for things that really matter and are truly offensive. When people get offended over every little bitty thing, they lose the power of their voice and the power to make changes. I'm not a conservatist, I'm not a liberal, I'm just me. I don't do anything to purposely offend anyone, I try to be polite to everyone I meet every day. I take public transportation every day to work and back, when I'm downtown I run into all kinds of people. Mentally challenged homeless, to men and women in business suits, I will talk to all of them. I've bought food for the homeless, and even given them my leftovers when they've asked if they could have them. I do not snurl my nose up at anyone, no matter their situation. The only time I've refused a favor was one afternoon when I was at the grocery store about to go in, a lady came up to me and asked if I would buy her a beer if she gave me the money. I flat out told her no. She thought for a second and thanked me. Said she really shouldn't be drinking anyway and shouldn't go to the womens' mission with beer on her breath.  
    I looked them up and they did apologize. I, personally,  do not take offense to it, it does not promote violence. 
      March 24, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

Well said!
      March 24, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

• Thank you. :)
      March 24, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

• Seriously?   If it might trigger one or offend one on some unfortunate event we can't say something?   Is that really how we want to be?  For heavens sake no can say anything then.
      March 24, 2017 4:21 PM MDT

• I hear ya' now.
      March 24, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

• As an independent woman.... I'm triggered and offended by this Ad.... Cos no one has tried to throw any rocks at me lately :(   

March 24, 2017 8:58 PM MDT

That's because you're never here when I am. Ugh.
      March 25, 2017 12:21 AM MDT