Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Is it considered unpatriotic in the States not to like Country music?

Is it considered unpatriotic in the States not to like Country music?

And before anyone gets mad, it isn't meant to be provocative. I am a huge fan, since I was 8 but most of my American friends don't like it.

Posted - March 24, 2017

Responses

• Not that I know of! I'm not a big fan of it but some of it is OK. You just don't know enough people here. Country is real popular but so is a lot of other genres. Unpatriotic? No way. Listen to whatever you wish. Personally? I like rock from the 60's and 70's and some older country too.

March 24, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

Smile great answer :) I suppose I was thinking along the lines.. well country is really about the most American of all the genres, as say rock was here and there at about the same time, country remains pretty much American. Personally I love it, always have, huge Dolly Parton fan. 
      March 24, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

let them like what they like
    and you like what you like
    everybody happy...
    Just like everybody,
    some music I like
    and some I don't like
    ...like elevator music haha
      March 24, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

Tee hee we used to tease my older son because he had something that sounded very much like elevator music coming from his room, but each to their own I suppose :P
      March 24, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

• Nope.

March 24, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

• I like Country musically well enough. But lyrically its too much god and country.  Or broken down picks and cheap beer. 
      March 24, 2017 3:51 PM MDT

Your question doesn't come across as provocative.  It comes across as sincere.  As others have pointed out, it isn't unpatriotic not to like country.  It's a popular genre, especially in the southern states.  If your American friends are from Northeastern states like New York or New Jersey for example, generally it's not the preferred choice of music.
      March 24, 2017 4:32 PM MDT

• You would be amazed at how many people from the northern states come here to Nashville during Country Music Fest. There are thousands of them here that week. :)
      March 24, 2017 7:27 PM MDT

• Was he at Vanderbilt? That's where I work now. 
    Yeah, they think we wear the dresses or shorts with boots. No self respecting Nashville resident would ever do that. I hate when they try to talk with a Southern accent too.  
      March 24, 2017 9:41 PM MDT

I'm not surprised.  Of course there are people who do like country music that live in the Northeast.  I've met quite a few people from the New England states that absolutely love country music.  And then, there are those people in the states I mentioned, that like country music but won't admit it for fear of being verbally assaulted by their non-country loving friend.  lol.
      March 25, 2017 6:46 AM MDT

• When the Country Music Fest is going on, we get people here from all over the planet. They take up pretty much all of downtown. I have never been to it myself, I just don't like country. What irritates me the most is the times I've been out of state and people ask where I'm from because of my accent. When I tell them Nashville, they get al excited and ask me how many country stars I know.....It's not like we all get together and BBQ on the weekend. I've never even been to the Grand Ole Opry. I do go to the auditorium once back in the 80's, but it was to see The Alman Brothers. :)
      March 25, 2017 6:55 AM MDT

LOL!  I am very disappointed to hear you don't get together with the country stars for BBQs.  Don't they like you?  Hahaha!

I used to get that kind of thing while traveling when I lived in New York.  They would ask me if I knew someone they met some years back, saw Robert DeNiro on a regular basis or, someone else who lives in NY.  The best was someone assuming I could see the Statue of Liberty from my window. lol.
      March 25, 2017 7:13 AM MDT

• Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. I have seen a few out and about. I was with my sister one day in a little shop downtown, she nudged me and said Conway Twitty is in here. He was buying rocks for his garden. I never even flinched, never spoke to him and just rolled my eyes. Brenda Lee used to come into the cafeteria/restaurant I used to work at, she lived just down the street from it. She is actually neighbors with my uncle and will sometimes bring him dinner. George Lindsey, the guy who played Goober on Andy Griffin, used to come in there as well. He was a very hateful A-hole. Also at the same cafeteria/restaurant, they had a sci-fi convention in the empty store across from us, it was in a mall. The actor who played Chewbacca came in for lunch. I was the one who rang up your order and gave you your ticket, you paid the cashier when you left. He got to me and I was struck a little mute. I gave him his ticket and tried to say have a good day, but I don't think it came out right. :) That man is sooooooo tall. I am also friends with Lulu Roman's son. She was the very heavy set lady who was on Hee Haw. I used to ride the bus with him, he worked for the state too, that's where I used to work. I didn't know who his mom was until almost a year after we started talking. I have never met her though. I've seen and talked to a few, but I don't know them. :) 
      March 25, 2017 7:46 AM MDT

Aha!  You do have stories! lol.  Yeah, I must admit I actually did get a glimpse of Robert DeNiro and Sandra Bernhard when they were filming The King of Comedy.
      March 25, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

• My aunt used to work at a restaurant in the airport, she got to see a lot of them. She said the only one who made her act like a fan girl was Vincent Price. I'm not sure why, but here in Nashville we leave the celebrities alone. There's not a lot of paparazzi running around here trying to catch them doing anything. They are pretty much free to roam the city at will. The other day at work, I passed a reality star in the hall. It was Evan from the Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise.  When we passed, I looked at him and my eyes did get a little big, he saw me and smiled and nodded his head. He lives here and he is a doctor so it's not unusual that he would be at a hospital. 
      March 25, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

• Bet you would have talked to Carrie Underwood if you could! LOL. I know I sure as hell would! 
      March 25, 2017 7:49 AM MDT

LOL!  
      March 25, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

• ummmm.....errrrrrr....you PROMISED to never mention that in public. I must say you cut a dashing figure in your backless chaps. The autograph thing wasn't nearly as bad as you staggering up to and proposing to Blake Shelton. Forgot about that one...huh? At least we won the karaoke trophy. 
      March 25, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

I've noticed how many people from the North as well as foreign countries were in Nashville. I'm further South than Nashville but for years, two to three times a year I would ride my HD up the Natchez Trace to Nashville and spend a night or two. Go to Music Row.
      March 25, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

• Natchez Trace is such a beautiful area. Right now we have so many people moving here that actual natives are hard to find these days. I think I read where 50 to 100 are moving here every day. It's not the Nashville I'm accustomed to anymore. :(
      March 25, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

All music suffers when the stations are taken over by big investors who only play music that is already at the top of the chart. Around here you can't tell the country station from the gospel station. Both sound like they are trying real hard not to offend anybody.
      March 24, 2017 5:40 PM MDT

• I was born and raised in Nashville, home of country music....I do not like country music. I am a classic rock fan. Give the the Stones, the Doors, Hendrix, Aerosmith, Deaf Leopard....etc. The closest I get to listening to country is when I listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd, .38 Special, or Molly Hatchet.
      March 24, 2017 7:26 PM MDT

• Embrace your roots Karen.

March 24, 2017 7:29 PM MDT

• Him and Willie I can listen to. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't get upset when I hear them. 
      March 24, 2017 7:30 PM MDT