Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Which electrical appliance would you do without?

Which electrical appliance would you do without?

During the 1940s, like many Australian families, we had no fridge, no washing machine, no TV, no car, no phone.

If you had to make do without one of our modern appliances which would you choose? What would you substitute? 

Posted - March 24, 2017

Responses

• Shipping costs between UK and US is stupidly high.  You should send it to BigCliveDotCom in Isle of Man to blow-up.

How does it heat itself without electricity?  Chemical packets or something?
      March 26, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

• You know? I've actually been looking for the damn thing and I can't find it. Whatever it was that heated was in effect boiling water in a sealed unit. I'd never get away with posting it. I'd get arrested. 
    Wasn't there an incident a couple of years ago - a woman in the US got fingered by the FBI because she bought a pressure cooker online and something else pretty random and ordinary, and was accused of potential acts of terrorism when all she wanted to do was cook lentils?

March 27, 2017 12:51 AM MDT

• Yeah, I remember that story. Her  household web search got pinged by authorities when she ordered a pressure cooker and backpack because her son was doing research about the Boston bombings around the same time.  It had something to do with her husband searching some chit on his work computers too.   I think it was his boss that got the authorities looking at them if I remember right.

So stupid.
      March 27, 2017 1:22 AM MDT

• Agreed, buddy. 
      March 27, 2017 1:26 AM MDT

• No, by the authority granted implicitly to anybody who uses this site, I authorise you to throw it into the trash and replace it with a virtual, on-line model. 
      March 25, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

• It's disappeared anyway. I'm kinda wanting it back now.
      March 27, 2017 12:52 AM MDT

Small appliance:  Electric can opener.  I hate them and I rarely use canned goods.

Large appliance:  Dishwasher is the only one I could give up easily. 

I don't consider TV, car, or phone appliances.
      March 25, 2017 12:00 PM MDT

• I gotta go along with that. An electric can opener must be in the same value area as an electric toothbrush. (I'm hoping Mrs Didge never gives up her dishwasher. It's human. It's *sigh* me.)
      March 25, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

Electric can opener for a manual one.
      March 27, 2017 12:52 AM MDT

Oh, easy for me: TV, tumble-dryer and dish-washer. I neither need nor want any of those three; and own none of them!

I have a freezer but hardly ever use it - ordinary 'fridge adequate for my food storage and cookery.

How do I dry wet clothes in times of bad weather? Use a dehumidifier to turn the bathroom into a drying-room.

I do have a car and 'phones - both portable and land-line - though.
      April 19, 2017 4:50 PM MDT