Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » What's a creative way to get out of jury duty? Humor appreciated. :)

What's a creative way to get out of jury duty? Humor appreciated. :)

Image result for jury duty meme

Posted - March 24, 2017

Responses

• I've never been called either. Like I told Rooster, if it were a murder case, I'd probably like to sit in on it.
      March 25, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

During the voir dire, ask one of the lawyers questioning you to say a few words about "jury nullification." 
      March 25, 2017 10:11 AM MDT

I've only been called for jury duty once but I got dismissed right away.  The defendant was the girl in my high school class who was a bully to me.  I really wanted to serve on that jury too lol

March 25, 2017 10:30 AM MDT

There's a difference in being excused from serving and being  stricken from the pool for a particular trial.  The answers indicate a lack of understanding.  I interpreted your question to be asking how to be excused from the process altogether (until your name pops up again and you are, again, summoned).  But your photo indicates you are talking about getting stricken from the pool for a particular trial.  So, my best idea is that when you get the summons, go do your civic duty. Smart people are needed to sit on juries.  If I were wrongly accused it would be absolutely horrifying to think no smarties would be on the jury.   If you get called for a trial which you do not want to serve as a juror, simply state during the interview that you do not feel you can be objective in a case like this. 
      March 25, 2017 11:31 AM MDT

The question asked for "creative" ways and also indicated that "humor" in the answers would be "appreciated."---I'm inclined to think that you are the one who may have missed the point and showed a "lack of understanding."---

You can postpone jury duty for a short period of time and ask to be rescheduled.---There is a list of exemptions that you may qualify for due to temporary situations in your life (a child under a certain age for example).---

The only permanent exemption that most regular people can qualify for (short of having a medical excuse or a legal disqualification) is because they are 70 years old or older. This post was edited by tom jackson at March 25, 2017 12:30 PM MDT
      March 25, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

That is not how it is here. Different jurisdictions. I was dismissed because I could not miss any college classes.
      March 25, 2017 12:32 PM MDT

You must like to hear yourself talk.

March 25, 2017 12:38 PM MDT

Tell them you are having an affair with the defendant.
      March 25, 2017 12:29 PM MDT

• When the judge ask the question about a police officers testimony be more trustworthy that someone else's answer, "Yes." 
      March 25, 2017 4:01 PM MDT