Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why is it that the most expensive restaurants give you the least amount of food?

Why is it that the most expensive restaurants give you the least amount of food?

Image result for expensive restaurant food

Posted - March 25, 2017

Responses

• It's all about the art of plating, associated with a certain status of ... well, something. 

I'd rather go more for less! Kind of joking, but it is lunch time :-/

March 25, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

I got a hoot out of that image.  I don't think I know anyone who could eat all of that in one sitting.....................................I call the onion rings!
      March 25, 2017 10:35 AM MDT

• I agree with Thrifty. :) 
      March 25, 2017 8:24 PM MDT

•   March 25, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

• Breakfast, lunch and dinner...I like it. :)
      March 25, 2017 8:24 PM MDT

• Well, many haute cuisine restaurants have tasting menus, where the focus is on many small portions of food rather than one large one. Added up in the end it may equal the amount a normal restaurant would give you, but you've sampled many creative "art" dishes instead. 
      March 25, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

• Oddly enough the food rarely, if ever,  holds a candle to a normal pot roast and carrots or meatloaf and mash from the local diner.
      March 25, 2017 10:53 AM MDT

• The only truly fancy restaurant I've been to was The French Laundry and I really enjoyed it as a new and interesting experience, but would I choose a chile verde burrito over that if given the choice? Of course. I think "high cuisine" can be an interesting experience to have every now and then but people won't want to (and wouldn't be expected to) eat that way regularly. 
      March 25, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

• I like those places you pay more money  for them to save money on electric bill by turning all the lights off.  
      March 25, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

• I've seen that on TV but don't think I'd want to try it. I have a thing about eating in the dark....
      March 25, 2017 8:26 PM MDT

• I have a thing about being in the dark with large groups of strangers.
      March 25, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

• Same here. I have to have a light on even if I'm just sitting on the couch watching TV and having a snack. 
      March 25, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

• That's why I like Christmas lights. ^_^
      March 25, 2017 8:34 PM MDT

• Those do work. :)
      March 25, 2017 8:38 PM MDT

• Maybe, but I'd rather everything be one one plate.  I just can't see paying so much for one meal. 
      March 25, 2017 8:27 PM MDT

That question has been asked by many people, I assume.  The conventional answer is that you pay for the whole dining experience.  To me that means you get to get dressed appropriately,  eat from possibly dirty dishes food that may or may not be prepared in a clean kitchen, listen to music not of your own choosing, pay way too much money for the bites you are served, and sit in chairs and eat from a table that hundreds have used before you.  Eating at an average value restaurant means all of the same things sans the amount of money you pay and you get to leave satisfied.

Fancy doesn't interest me.  I spent many years where fancy was part of life but now if I can't wear capris, flip flops,  and a T-shirt I usually politely pass on the invite. 
      March 25, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

• I guess I'm not that high maintenance either. I'd rather be comfortable and not have to take out a loan to pay for one dinner. :)
      March 25, 2017 8:29 PM MDT

• Le Beouf Sur Le Toit, somewhere in Paris. Great toilets, mind. Something equally ostentatious in Venice. But I remember my Dad nearly throwing a punch at a waiter in Athens when the bill for two coffees and two Cokes came to £25, and that was in 1982. 

March 25, 2017 10:48 AM MDT

• WOW!! What was in that coffee? 
      March 25, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

• Daylight robbery, K. )
    I had never felt so guilty about asking for a Coke in my young, little life. 
      March 26, 2017 2:41 AM MDT

• I bet they charged almost half that for water too. 
      March 26, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

• Did you like Paris?
    Have you ever lived there?
      March 25, 2017 9:21 PM MDT

• I didn't like it, no. The Haussman architcture is quite oppressive, I guess. And I remember everything being brownish. I couldn't connect, aesthetically. 
    I prefer Spanish and Italian cities. I like the Latinness
      March 26, 2017 12:39 AM MDT

Money...those kinds of dishes cost alot.
      March 25, 2017 1:26 PM MDT