Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » I think it's a good thing to take stock of yourself periodically. Make sure what you say is still what you think. How often do you do that?

I think it's a good thing to take stock of yourself periodically. Make sure what you say is still what you think. How often do you do that?

Self-reflection can be time well spent. Some folks are very good at it. Some never take the time to do it. Everything/everyone needs recalibrating from time to time. Repair. Maintenance. You can't just ignore it and expect that it will always run at optimum level. Right?

Posted - March 25, 2017

Responses

• This usually happens on annual event days like New Years and birthdays.  Or on days when my job is like even worse than usual.
      March 25, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

Oh boy whistle can I ever relate to that! "...when my job is like even worse than usual". In fact I'm gonna share with you something I have NEVER shared with anyone. On particularly tough days at work I'd think some really mean thing to say and then just put the first letter of each word on a piece of paper that I taped on the wall that I could look at from time to time. I don't remember any specific ones offhand but say I was thinking "These Jacka**es aren't worth my time or energy". I would write down TJAWMTOE" on the piece of paper, put it on the wall in front me at eye height. When asked what that meant I said it was a private reminder and let it go at that. It helped. Not a whole lot but I did have to giggle when I read it! Try it and see if helps you too! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to you. You will LOVE retirement! I promise you! :)
      March 26, 2017 6:06 AM MDT

• My way of dealing with the stress is to imagine a customer desperately choking on the meal I just served him.  Looking at me with pleading eyes and going blue.  I would stand, leaning against the counter, smirking and ask, "Do you have a smart alec comment now?"  "Do you want to give me a hard time now?"  Then just turn away laughing.  And when I was at the fecal pit, Subway, I often imagined that difficult customer leaving the store and being run over in the parking lot.  Then I'd go out laughing, clapping and dancing.
      March 26, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

Well I could have been that customer. On November 13, 2016 we took our neighbor friend to the local Sizzler to celebrate her birthday. I ordered steak. I guess I cut too big a piece and it got lodged in my throat and I started choking! Jim did the Heimlich several times and nothing happened. Wait staff arrived and took turns Heimlicking me and still I was choking. Finally another employee grabbed hold of me, told me she was going to put her fingers down m throat(she had plastic gloves on) and try to remove the piece of steak! She was successful thank goodness! I don't know how long it took but it took a few minutes for sure. They asked if I needed an ambulance and I declined. I thanked them for their concern and for helping and repeatedly told them "it was my fault" which it was. As a result I had very sore ribs for weeks afterward. I am quite slender so all the Heimliching took its toll on my rib cage. I thought I might even have had a fracture. It was very painful. But I'm here. I'm alive thanks to the stubborness and determination of the Sizzler Staff. They didn't give up. So when you say you would stand there watching someone choke I hope you are not serious. Have you ever choked on a piece of meat and had someone help you with the Heimlich whistle? It is not fun. It is scary as he**.  Just thought I'd share my experience with you. Thank you for your reply! Yep. RosieG would have been dead without the help of the Sizzler staff! Dead. Dead. Dead.  :(
      March 27, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

i think its good too and i dont do it as often as i should
      March 26, 2017 4:38 PM MDT