Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What is the nature of the soul?

What is the nature of the soul?

Is it an enduring essence that may continue to live after the physical body dies?
Is it simply the life force which animates an otherwise useless body?
Is it a series of electro-chemical interactions that boot us up at conception as we boot up a computer when we turn it on?

I'd be interested in hearing what YOU think yourself rather than just what some religious dogma teaches -- but there are no wrong answers and there will be no angst from me. I'm just looking for opinions.

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

• You know I am really cautious about such topics, because you can get really quick pushed into religion/atheist debates which seem to me always dead-end. And over the years I have learned equally much from discussions with both Zee (atheist) and Tom Jackson (Catholic), for example, both have such beautiful wisdom...which they both developed from their own DIRECT experience.

Anyway we never have any final knowledge, it's always just an interim working understanding.
    So, for the time being interim, I think of our physical existence as a tiny, tiny part of who we are...and the soul kinda connects us in with whatever reality is beyond our five senses...wisdom then being how we bring that transcendent reality into here the world of time and space...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...
      March 26, 2017 1:37 AM MDT

• And what a volume of thought there is in your etceteras. This is along the lines of something I wanted to discuss with you but I haven't clarified my thoughts yet. This was more or less a fishing trip to see what turns up. I'm hoping there won't be any heated arguments but, yeah, it's an invitation to war.
      March 26, 2017 2:54 AM MDT

Soul is a Hebrew concept, a synonym for a living breathing creature. When the creature stops breathing, the soul is dead. Anybody who uses the word in any other context either doesn't know what they are talking about, or is trying to sell something you don't need. Except musicians. Musicians are cool, and they know exactly what they mean by "soul".
      March 26, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

• What about poets? Do they stack up against musicians?
      March 26, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

I never knew any poets.
      March 26, 2017 8:25 AM MDT

"When the creature stops breathing, the soul is dead"  Sorry Jewels, it is you who doesn't understand yet,

March 26, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

Howzat? You failed to make your point.
      March 26, 2017 2:15 PM MDT

Yup.
    (Gen 2:7) And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul
    (Ezekiel 18:4) Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die.
      June 10, 2017 9:36 PM MDT

• While not believing in soul(s) as in the faith concept, I find it a quaint but useful articulation of one's innermost sentience ---that place behind our eyes were all of the business of our lives is processed. The intangible inner source of our identity and our energies, feelings, thoughts and creativity that, for lack of a better explanation of consciousness at the time, came to be dubbed, "the Soul". 

It could also be said from my secular position, that souls were contrived as a form of ransom for adherence to certain dogma. But I'll leave that discussion for another setting This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 31, 2017 6:25 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 6:39 AM MDT

• I've always equated the soul with self-awareness -- that spark that is essentially 'me'. I haven't managed to pin it down more than that. And while I agree completely with your second comment I'm trying to play nice so I won't pick that up and run with it. :)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 31, 2017 6:25 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

• I just thought to touch on it, being that the context of your question was not dogmatic. 
      March 26, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

• I actually expected some aggro on this question though I'd have preferred not. It worked out OK. I just went back and edited my comment. I can't believe the number of typing errors I've made lately but how the hell I managed "place" instead of "play" is beyond me. :(
      March 26, 2017 12:28 PM MDT

God exists within you as you,
     Thus, The Absolute 
    is the individual Soul...
         God is Love 
    God Is ever present...
    Nothing can ever separate you from
    Gods Love.
    so the nature of the Soul is Gods Love.

March 26, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

• Thank you, Baba. :)
      March 26, 2017 11:54 AM MDT

I'll just throw this out there---The soul is related to the body as Aristotle's substantial form (the perfecting principle) is related to primary matter (the limiting principle) which explains the multiplicity of human beings with "humanness," just as Aristotle explained the multiplicity of trees who share "treeness."---

(You didn't think I really had a clear, understandable answer that I could post, did you?)
      March 26, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

• Well, no, but on this particular subject I doubt that anybody can give a definitive answer. I've long thought about the nature of the soul and -- surprise! -- have never come up with a workable answer. But I still have some time left before I shuffle off and I live in hope. :) 
      March 27, 2017 12:24 AM MDT

I'll probably get chewed out for posting this but some people may be sincerely interested in what the Bible says about the soul:

Soul
    Definition: In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew neʹphesh and the Greek psy·kheʹ. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings.
    What does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?
    Gen. 2:7: “Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person.) (The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is neʹphesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.”)
    1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is.) (The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.”)
    1 Pet. 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khaiʹ, the plural form of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.”)
    Gen. 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from neʹphesh] shall I ask back.” (Here the soul is said to have blood.)
    Josh. 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” (The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.)
    Where does the Bible say that animals are souls?
    Gen. 1:20, 21, 24, 25: “God went on to say: ‘Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls* . . . ’ And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind. . . . And God went on to say: ‘Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds . . . ’ And God proceeded to make the wild beast of the earth according to its kind and the domestic animal according to its kind and every moving animal of the ground according to its kind.” (*In Hebrew the word here is neʹphesh. Ro reads “soul.” Some translations use the rendering “creature.”)
    Lev. 24:17, 18: “In case a man strikes any soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] of mankind fatally, he should be put to death without fail. And the fatal striker of the soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] of a domestic animal should make compensation for it, soul for soul.” (Notice that the same Hebrew word for soul is applied to both mankind and animals.)
    Rev. 16:3: “It became blood as of a dead man, and every living soul* died, yes, the things in the sea.” (Thus the Christian Greek Scriptures also show animals to be souls.) (*In Greek the word here is psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, and Dy render it “soul.” Some translators use the term “creature” or “thing.”)
    Do other scholars who are not Jehovah’s Witnesses acknowledge that this is what the Bible says the soul is?
    “There is no dichotomy [division] of body and soul in the O[ld] T[estament]. The Israelite saw things concretely, in their totality, and thus he considered men as persons and not as composites. The term nepeš [neʹphesh], though translated by our word soul, never means soul as distinct from the body or the individual person. . . . The term [psy·kheʹ] is the N[ew] T[estament] word corresponding with nepeš. It can mean the principle of life, life itself, or the living being.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 449, 450.
    “The Hebrew term for ‘soul’ (nefesh, that which breathes) was used by Moses . . . , signifying an ‘animated being’ and applicable equally to nonhuman beings. . . . New Testament usage of psychē (‘soul’) was comparable to nefesh.”—The New Encyclopædia Britannica (1976), Macropædia, Vol. 15, p. 152.
    “The belief that the soul continues its existence after the dissolution of the body is a matter of philosophical or theological speculation rather than of simple faith, and is accordingly nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture.”—The Jewish Encyclopedia (1910), Vol. VI, p. 564.
    Can the human soul die?
    Ezek. 18:4: “Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” (*Hebrew reads “the neʹphesh.” KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy render it “the soul.” Some translations say “the man” or “the person.”)
    Matt. 10:28: “Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul [or, “life”]; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul* and body in Gehenna.” (*Greek has the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, RS, NE, TEV, Dy, JB, and NAB all render it “soul.”)
    Acts 3:23: “Indeed, any soul [Greek, psy·kheʹ] that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.”
    Is it possible for human souls (people) to live forever?
    See pages 243-247, under the heading “Life.”
    Is the soul the same as the spirit?
    Eccl. 12:7: “Then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit [or, life-force; Hebrew, ruʹach] itself returns to the true God who gave it.” (Notice that the Hebrew word for spirit is ruʹach; but the word translated soul is neʹphesh. The text does not mean that at death the spirit travels all the way to the personal presence of God; rather, any prospect for the person to live again rests with God. In similar usage, we may say that, if required payments are not made by the buyer of a piece of property, the property “returns” to its owner.) (KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy all here render ruʹach as “spirit.” NAB reads “life breath.”)
    Eccl. 3:19: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit [Hebrew, ruʹach].” (Thus both mankind and beasts are shown to have the same ruʹach, or spirit. For comments on verses 20, 21, see page 383.)
    Heb. 4:12: “The word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul [Greek, psy·khesʹ; “life,” NE] and spirit [Greek, pneuʹma·tos], and of joints and their marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Observe that the Greek word for “spirit” is not the same as the word for “soul.”)
    Does conscious life continue for a person after the spirit leaves the body?
    Ps. 146:4: “His spirit [Hebrew, from ruʹach] goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.” (NAB, Ro, Yg, and Dy [145:4] here render ruʹach as “spirit.” Some translations say “breath.”) (Also Psalm 104:29)
    What is the origin of Christendom’s belief in an immaterial, immortal soul?
    “The Christian concept of a spiritual soul created by God and infused into the body at conception to make man a living whole is the fruit of a long development in Christian philosophy. Only with Origen [died c. 254 C.E.] in the East and St. Augustine [died 430 C.E.] in the West was the soul established as a spiritual substance and a philosophical concept formed of its nature. . . . His [Augustine’s] doctrine . . . owed much (including some shortcomings) to Neoplatonism.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 452, 454.
    “The concept of immortality is a product of Greek thinking, whereas the hope of a resurrection belongs to Jewish thought. . . . Following Alexander’s conquests Judaism gradually absorbed Greek concepts.”—Dictionnaire Encyclopédique de la Bible (Valence, France; 1935), edited by Alexandre Westphal, Vol. 2, p. 557.
    “Immortality of the soul is a Greek notion formed in ancient mystery cults and elaborated by the philosopher Plato.”—Presbyterian Life, May 1, 1970, p. 35.
    “Do we believe that there is such a thing as death? . . . Is it not the separation of soul and body? And to be dead is the completion of this; when the soul exists in herself, and is released from the body and the body is released from the soul, what is this but death? . . . And does the soul admit of death? No. Then the soul is immortal? Yes.”—Plato’s “Phaedo,” Secs. 64, 105, as published in Great Books of the Western World (1952), edited by R. M. Hutchins, Vol. 7, pp. 223, 245, 246.
    “The problem of immortality, we have seen, engaged the serious attention of the Babylonian theologians. . . . Neither the people nor the leaders of religious thought ever faced the possibility of the total annihilation of what once was called into existence. Death was a passage to another kind of life.”—The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (Boston, 1898), M. Jastrow, Jr., p. 556.
      March 27, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

What is the nature of the soul?

Is it an enduring essence that may continue to live after the physical body dies?

Is it simply the life force which animates an otherwise useless body?

Is it a series of electro-chemical interactions that boot us up at conception as we boot up a computer when we turn it on?

I'd be interested in hearing what YOU think yourself rather than just what some religious dogma teaches -- but there are no wrong answers and there will be no angst from me. I'm just looking for opinions.

=======================================================================================

I think the soul is the self, the person, as in “poor soul, he……”

I think “the life force which animates an otherwise useless body” is called the spirit. It is this which when eventually breathed into a developing zygote gives it life.
      March 31, 2017 6:41 PM MDT

• It is entirely fantasy, as are gods, heavens, hells, etc. The body is all that exists. Souls are used in the con game of organized religion to control people and take their money. Reverend Joel Osteen has $40,000,000 he swindled.
      June 10, 2017 8:31 PM MDT