Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you speak a second language?

Do you speak a second language?

How did you learn? How long did it take? How fluent are you? 

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

Ich habe es gelernt in die Schule.
      March 26, 2017 12:53 AM MDT

• It looks as though you still remember it pretty well. I forgot most of my high school French.
      March 26, 2017 1:20 AM MDT

Nür ein bißchen. Ich bin nicht fließend.
      March 27, 2017 1:04 AM MDT

• Dear Dozy,
    No I am not fluent in any second language...however what I do is learn "I love you" in as many languages as possible and that usually breaks the ice...so you can just wing it with smiles and communicate okay...

Once in Albuquerque for example I stopped for Mexican food, well no one there spoke English! So I decided to give it a go anyway, hauled out my few words of Spanish, ended up with a delicious meal and lots of compliments on my "vast" linguistic Spanish competence...

I can look at Slartibartfast words above for example, and see it is prolly German, and he is saying something about he learned it in school. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 26, 2017 6:57 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 1:24 AM MDT

• That's true. (I used Google translate.)

One of my chess opponents, an ageing American, told me that when he went to Francis with the navy his shipmates taught him how to greet a Parisienne. He didn't realise that what they had taught him was very specific indeed but it worked out well and the young lady gave him breakfast afterwards.
      March 26, 2017 3:03 AM MDT

• Oh Dozy that is so funny!
      March 26, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

• Sono fluente in Italiano, frutto di un'infanzia benetta dalla prezensa del secundo marito del mia madre, Vittorio. Un uomo davvero meraviglioso che è morto troppo presto. 

I speak and read some Spanish, can still decipher enough German to be socially functional, but am proud to be fluent in Italian. Some might say I do reasonably well with English as well.

As I described, my stepfather Vittorio (who was a merchant from Livorno) taught us Italian. A wonderful man, we became essentially a bilingual household. I traveled to Italy with him three times as a youth. Vittorio died of a stroke soon after my 13th birthday. His influence was a great gift in my life.

Even sadder, my mother's eventual third husband was more like her first, my neglectful/drunk/always broke redneck American father. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 26, 2017 11:27 AM MDT
      March 26, 2017 6:16 AM MDT

• My "step" family was also Italian. Although they frequently spoke Italian and I picked up some words and phrases....I do wish I would have asked them to teach me more. Italian is such a beautiful language.
      March 26, 2017 6:40 AM MDT

• It really is. It has a quality of flowing from the tongue that only a few others I've heard share. 
      March 26, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

• Angela and Zee, I did not know that about Italian...pleased to discover such from your thread!
      March 26, 2017 9:52 AM MDT

• Sounds as though your mother made a couple of unlucky choices. I'm glad you had the experience of Vittorio.
      March 26, 2017 11:28 AM MDT

• More than a couple, to be sure, but she hit gold for 11 years. I still raise a glass to Vito on occasion. 
      March 26, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

I speak fluent Canadian. I learned it by listening to Peter Jennings on the news.
      March 26, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

• I know this will sound crass, but I can't tell the difference between the Canadian accent and some of the US accents. I'm linguistically tone deaf. :(
      March 26, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

Not crass at all. Just another of my silly answers. There are only minor differences, but I learned how to pick up on them years ago. It's all still English and I like to pick on Canadians.
      March 30, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

• Who wouldn't?
      March 30, 2017 12:19 PM MDT

• A little bit of German passed down but not fluent.   Signed up for it in high school but German and French were dropped from curriculum from low student numbers right before the school year started. So had to change to Spanish, Latin, or ASL.   So ASL it was.
       Was forced to take Spanish in JRHS but none of it clicked and hated taking it.
    Oddly enough my JRHS Spanish teacher was an old German lady with a thick accent so I really couldn't understand a word she said in Spanish.
      March 26, 2017 7:52 AM MDT

• We had two French teachers and I doubt if either one could have made themselves understood in France. We didn't learn as much as we might have done otherwise. Like your Spanish teacher. some teachers should stick to other subjects.
      March 26, 2017 11:31 AM MDT

• She was actually a great linguist and was fluent in 7 languages.   I just couldn't hear the language I did not understand with the accent on top of it.    Then again having zero interest in it and pissy I was forced to take it   didn't help either. 
      March 26, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

• I was excited about being able to learn any foreign language. I remember bits but I only lasted a couple of years at high school so I didn't get enough to be useful.
      March 26, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

Yes, I speak English besides my native language. Furthermore another language at same level and a third one that's so rusty I could not make a full conversation in it. I read and understand several languages besides these. Hmm. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 26, 2017 6:58 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

• Europeans tend to learn languages far more easily than we colonials. I guess when you have the opportunity to interact with other languages regularly it gets easier. Or maybe there's a European language gene. :)
      March 26, 2017 11:33 AM MDT

I don't know Didge. It won't be all European countries. Besides culture, educational system and other factors will be influencers. My ex, US American was actually very great at French and she was surprisingly skilled learning my native language. I've also met a gorgeous Australian woman who seems to have skills to adapt words and phrases of my native language.
      March 26, 2017 1:54 PM MDT

Russian. I can understand it fluently but not so much speak it so. I used to be able to read it, but not anymore.
      March 26, 2017 10:27 AM MDT