Discussion » Questions » Emotions » How strong are your emotions?

How strong are your emotions?

Somebody quipped that for the thinking person life is a comedy; for the person who feels, it's a tragedy.

How strong are your emotions? Do they lift you or drag you down? 

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

What emotions?
      March 26, 2017 12:33 AM MDT

• I think yours just flat lined. :)
      March 26, 2017 12:37 AM MDT

• Hi Dozy,
    My emotions were always quite strong, and in later years I have worked on them a lot...

As you know I have been impressed by Buddhist thought, and they suggest that emotions actually block understanding, so are blocking a full experience of life. But what seems to happen for me is that as I look beneath emotions to see things more clearly, what I do see ever more clearly is the tragedy, even the horrors of life...

And so it becomes a daily decision to say YES to creation, to hold the sadness while remembering the wonder.

Bottom line for your Q, I think whoever said that missed the mark.
      March 26, 2017 1:02 AM MDT

• I think so too, Virginia. Life can be joyful! 
    Thanks for sharing.
      March 26, 2017 3:08 AM MDT

• I'm a very emotional person. I stay guarded with myself for that reason. I'm easily hurt, quick to anger but don't always express, I don't trust easily, but when I do I'm all in, and I love deeply. Sometimes it can get me down, but it's who I am!
      March 26, 2017 6:35 AM MDT

• You know yourself very well. Nothing wrong with emotions. Life must be very dull for those unfortunates who don't experience them very much.
      March 26, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

• I also have very strong emotions but I never let them drag me down. Good strong emotions keep me going day to day and keep me happy. Had a couple of failures over the years but I'm sure not going to fail again! Good strong emotions are good for you and last your lifetime! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 29, 2017 4:21 AM MDT
      March 26, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

• Completely agree, Rooster. They add the spice to your life. Enjoying and using your emotions are a far cry from "becoming emotional".
      March 26, 2017 12:20 PM MDT

• Not very.
      March 26, 2017 7:20 AM MDT

• Thanks, Glis. :)

• You're welcome.   I of course have them,  just not with the range of  intensity that some seem to. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 26, 2017 2:21 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 1:11 PM MDT

• lol..   No and it wasn't a judgement on people that are emotionally charged either.

Mostly it makes for awkward situations with some of my closest friends.  Situations were they express these intense feelings and I feel like a complete a-hole because I care for them deeply and want to help but their reaction to something evades me.   Like there is something I should say or do but I have no idea what.  So I sit and listen and feel like I'm a cold  and useless friend to them in the moment.
      March 26, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

• Thanks.
      March 26, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

Your asking this question because you think Im fat arent you? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• No, no. Your bottom looks very trim in those slacks. :)
      March 26, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

HAHAHAHAHAHHA as if. ;)
      March 26, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

• Clearly, that works very well for you WW.
      March 26, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

I've had to learn to keep my emotions pretty level.  I'm epileptic, so if I get too excited, sad, mad or anything I'm bound to have a seizure.  So although I do show my emotions I have to be careful not to get  too emotional.  With years of practice I do it with ease. I know when I've had enough of certain situations. 

I rarely get mad enough to phase me. 
    This post was edited by SA (SuperA) at March 26, 2017 2:27 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 1:18 PM MDT

• Ouch! That's something I'm glad I never had to cope with. It must be tough.
      March 26, 2017 1:30 PM MDT

It was TOUGH when I was young. I was super sensitive. My feelings would get hurt easily.  I had to learn that I am NOT in control over anybody but myself.  Once I quit trying to make everybody around me nice, I just accepted what was. It also taught me to avoid certain personality types and situations.  Lol I take everything with a grain of salt now.
      March 26, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

• Yes, that.  That's it.
      March 26, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

YUP.....it is Glis!  :) 
      March 26, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

I feel things very passionately, be it love, grief, joy, anger or whatever.  I am also empathic, I absorb what others are feeling and emanating.  That can make it difficult for me to be around people, especially in large groups or highly-charged situations.  It can be overwhelming at times, and I have to step back.  Obviously, one cannot step back from oneself, but I have learned there are things that I can do, if I need to.  Distancing myself can sometimes make me appear cold to others, and people who know me as very fiery are taken aback when I am in "step-back mode".  
      March 26, 2017 2:20 PM MDT

• It's hard to imagine you as being cold. Your responses on here are anything but.

But your reaction to crowds is interesting. An off-beat question that may relate: are you a sensitive?
      March 27, 2017 12:39 AM MDT