Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are you shy in front of large crowds? Do you get embarrassed/freeze up/withdraw? What's the largest group you spoke to? Howja do?

Are you shy in front of large crowds? Do you get embarrassed/freeze up/withdraw? What's the largest group you spoke to? Howja do?

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

Not at all. I think you know why.
      March 26, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

Yes m'dear I do! Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Sunday. I often wonder if any teachers EVER get stage fright in front of their students? Or college professors in large classes speaking in front of HUNDREDS of people. Of course often the TA does the lecturing but still. Are they all self-assured, confident or do some of them get butterflies and feel like barfing? :)
      March 26, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

One of my Professors, fresh off the plane from Germany, gave her first lecture to my chem class. She apologized for her accent and appeared quite embarrassed. I approached her in private and told her she did a great job and that seemed to help.
      March 30, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

That was very kind of you to do and I'm sure it helped her a lot! Thank you for your reply Ele! :)
      March 30, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

• Not I.  I am the proverbial ham. I learned early on how to work an audience. I should have been an actor or something like that 
      March 26, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

Maybe stand up comic?
      March 30, 2017 8:01 AM MDT

• Yes...that too. I'd probably be booed off the stage...
      March 30, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

Wow! Lucky you! In high school if I had to get up in front of the class and give a speech I got all red, my palms sweated and I wished I could just faint or something to get out of it! Strangely though I was in Acting Class in high school. My Radio Arts teacher also taught the Drama Class and she asked me to join the Drama class. I was surprised and honored and scared to death but I did. Much to my surprise I found that in front of an audience as SOMEONE ELSE I wasn't scared at all! In fact during one of the plays we did a couple of the kids went up on their lines so I ad libbed until they found their way back to the script. Go Figger!  Also I have a fear of heights but I'm fine in a plane and like the window seat. I don't get it either! Thank you for your reply GJ and Happy Thursday!  :)
      March 30, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

Those are the reasons why you caught my eye and also your susceptibility to "piledriving". 
      March 26, 2017 8:28 AM MDT

• Much of that sounds familiar
    I ooze confidence...literally OOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZe it, but... I have not always been that way 

March 26, 2017 8:51 AM MDT

• Please do. I've always been a straight shooter. You gotta a target on you

lol
      March 30, 2017 11:50 AM MDT

So you transformed yourself...at least outwardly. That is what brave is my dear. You're scared but you do it anyway. Doing something that doesn't scare isn't brave at all. No challenge to overcome. You overcome! Good for you! Thank you for your reply WW and Happy Thursday! :)
      March 30, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

I can be reserved at times but I am never shy.
      March 26, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

What causes you to be reserved "at times" Lulu'sMom but not all the time? I react to vibes. If I feel comfy I'm open and relaxed. If I perceive hostility I usually don't hang around for long! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      March 30, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

I will react in a way that makes me feel most comfortable.
    Happy Friday Rosie.
      March 31, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

Unlike the majority of people, I have little fear of public speaking, I love to be in front of a crowd. 

~
      March 26, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

Do you or did you have a job that took advantage of that? Thank you for your reply RandyD and Happy Thursday to thee!  :)
      March 30, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

It's job-related to a certain extent, wherein every now and then I may speak at meetings or address groups.  At a party, in church or other social gatherings, I don't mind getting up and addressing the crowd.  I've been called upon to be the master of ceremonies for events.
     I've also had positions training people before, and my grand claim to fame was as a Marine Corps Drill Instructor back in my youth.  No shyness allowed there, that's for sure.
    ~

March 30, 2017 9:46 PM MDT

its not so much that im shy, i just dont always know what to say
      March 26, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

That would certainly put a damper on public speaking. Thank you for your reply pearl! :)
      March 30, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

• Well it wasn't speaking but I've played bagpipes at All Soul's Day about 30,000 in attendance.
      March 26, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

Just you all alone or with other musicians too whistle? 30,000 people would probably cause me to swoon or throw up or faint. That's a LOT of people watching you and listening too! This reminds me of a day long ago I spent with my folks at Laguna Beach...a very nice southern California beach. We got there early in the morning. From a distance I heard bagpipes. I thought at first it must be from a radio. But after I acclimated myself and looked around in the distance on a cliff overlooking the ocean was in fact a person playing the bagpipes. He was walking back and forth back and forth back and forth while playing his instrument. It was beautiful and surreal and I figured maybe that was the best place for him to practice. You wouldn't bother the neighbors! I think I must have been around 14 so that was 65 years ago! It's a treasured memory though. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 30, 2017 9:52 AM MDT

• I was there with my bandmates.  Probably 15 pipes and a drum corps of 6 or 8.  However in my mind the crowds were cheering just for me.
    And remember pipers march when they paly in an effort to get away from the sound!
      March 30, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

I wondered WHY the piper I saw was walking back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.  How do you get away from the sound though when you are the one making it? Thank you for your reply whistle. Is a bagpipe hard to learn how to play? It's a unique sound and one I have always enjoyed.  But the time at the beach was so  awesomely beautiful... maybe because it was off in the distance and seemed to be coming down from the sky. Happy Friday! :)
      March 31, 2017 2:48 AM MDT