Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are your first thoughts when you come across someone who is really advanced in years?

What are your first thoughts when you come across someone who is really advanced in years?

I was parked at the Wal-Mart the other day, and saw a very very very old man walking across the parking lot on his way in. 
It took him about ten minutes to get to the main door.
I thought about all the stuff he'd seen, and all the things he must know about. I wondered if he had a deep truth hidden in between his wrinkles, about something. . .perhaps he has the answer to some big world problem. .
Then I thought that when he dies, all of that knowledge is going to go into the grave at the same time he does. . .poof! . . Just like that.
Somebody should write a book and capture this, before it's gone forever.
I wondered about what others focus on when coming across someone very advanced in years?

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

I usually think to myself..."That'll be me in a few years. I hope I'll still be able to walk."
      March 26, 2017 7:41 AM MDT

• Yeah, I think about that too.
    Then I remember that im a smoker and that I probably won't.
    Thanks E.
      March 26, 2017 7:45 AM MDT

• You know,
    I called my mother, and told her about it. .. she said, "who's going to want to read about that?....
    I said that I would, and that I was going to start interviewing her.
    Would You believe that About three quarters of the things she has told me, I did not know about. It's like meeting a different person for the first time. We've been able to talk about things and for the first time ever, I thanked her for everything she did for us.
    All because of that one old man walking across the parking lot. Ain't that something?
    Thanks for your response, W , it's very pretty. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2017 2:20 AM MDT
      March 26, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

Nice question...
    Since only the body Dies
    and consciousness continues on
    maybe He will, if he has some deep knowledge
    about something,  manifest that knowledge
    while in his next body.
      March 26, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

• One of these big science scientists postulated not too long ago that, like energy, Information doesn't ever get lost. 
    When I read that, I wondered if reincarnation would be a mechanism for our whole of the human consciousness to be preserved and passed on.
    Does that make sense?
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 26, 2017 11:33 AM MDT
      March 26, 2017 9:28 AM MDT

indeed
    agree that nothing is 
    lost.
      March 26, 2017 11:40 AM MDT

• Im afraid that encompasses the whole of my knowledge about that. 
    Oh. . .and something about certain children that suddenly start talking about other families and other lives and other places "from before". 
    I do wonder about that. 
    You know what I mean?
      March 26, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

OK, Rosie, spill your guts !  You too, Beans!  I know there are lots of old timers on here that would enjoy telling their life stories. I can tell everybody that you should enjoy sex when you are still young enough to enjoy it because as men get older, they run low of testosterone and have less interest in 'doing it'.  
      March 26, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

• I think that would be great actually. I like sitting and listening to their stories. It's like a living history book, that you can ask questions to. I have not had the chance to talk to Beans, but I have had some conversations with Ms Rosie and did enjoy them. So. . .yeah. . .that would be pretty alright.
    Thanks bh.
      March 26, 2017 11:43 AM MDT

• I posted this a couple of weeks ago but it has some bearing on "what do you think" when you see a geezer (or a geezeress):

Two scholars were arguing the merits of Keats and Shakespeare. They found no common ground so the Shakespearean pointed to a bow-legged old man, hobbling up the hill on his walking stick. He said, "How would Keats describe him?"
    "Behold the man who yonder went, with legs so bowed and back so bent. How would Shakespeare have put it?"
    "Forsooth, what manner of man is this, who carries his balls in parenthesis?"

March 26, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

i would wonder how they get around at their age
      March 26, 2017 3:19 PM MDT

• I do too Ms Pearl.
      March 26, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

• We hobble. :(
      March 26, 2017 7:45 PM MDT

• I tell you what, Mr D.
    I was thinking the other day.
    I knew age was knocking on my door, when I'd take advantage of tying my shoes to do other things while I was down there. You know, pick something up, or look under the couch, or anything to that effect. Just so I only had to get up from way down there once. You know?
      March 26, 2017 8:54 PM MDT

• Ah, Lago, you really do undderstand...
      March 26, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

A beautiful question Lago! I too happened to see a very aged couple, the lady was pushing the trolley....I watched for awhile and I noticed that she was in fact holding on to it for support. Her husband I presume was walking along, he seemed able bodied but walked slowly to be there for his wife, they looked so old, so wrinkled yet had pride in their eyes.....I luved it!
      March 26, 2017 9:05 PM MDT

• Im glad you liked the question V, is not as much a question as it is a thought I suppose.
    To me it just seems like such a waste of experience and knowledge. 
    It's like being surrounded by experts in life but for some evil wizard curse we don't pay attention to what they have to say. It's silly to be honest.
    Do you understand what im saying??
    Thanks V, 
      March 26, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

Yes I do Lago, my maternal grandpa stayed with us after grandma died, my paternal grandparents died at an early age. My maternal granpa was a reservoir of knowledge, he would tell us anecdotes from his life, in India, joint family is still in vogue....aged parents live with the family .....sadly old age homes are mushrooming there too....I can't understand...'didn't our parents clean us,bathe us,gave us food,clothes,shelter, were we a burden to them.....then why are aged parents a burden.....why throw them away into a strange place with strangers.....sad.....oh I'm losing track....excuse me;((
    Thanks Lago. This post was edited by Veena.K at March 26, 2017 10:37 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 10:36 PM MDT

• What does "joint family" mean, Veena?
      March 26, 2017 11:08 PM MDT

Umm as opposed to nuclear family which consists of husband, wife, kids a joint family lives together with all family members up to 2nd generation like grand parents, parents, uncle, aunts and their children .Basically India was an agricultural country and this sort of joint family was common, but with industrialization people migrated from rural areas to urban areas, with space constraint and other constraints joint families slowly disappeared, but not entirely.
      March 26, 2017 11:22 PM MDT

• I see,  
    If you don't mind me asking you, how does authority work in a situAtion like that?
    Let's suppose there's a husband, wife, children, Grandfather, and Grandmother. Who has the last word in terms of authority? Is it  a case by case situation, or is there some sort of traditionally accepted hierarchy?
    I don't want to sound too ignorant, but im thinking if my mother were to come live with me, I think there would be problems in terms of authority.
    Am I explaining myself right?
      March 26, 2017 11:34 PM MDT

Authority? Ummm it stays with the eldest member...there's mutual understanding but many a time differences arise....usually they get solved amicably...but sometimes relationships sour and there maybe big fights...
    umm Lago...why will there be problems in authority? Your mother will be eager to live with you,but she might not interfere and turn bossy.....dunno....I'm just talking hypothetically!
      March 26, 2017 11:50 PM MDT

• Well, Veena, 
    My mother doesn't take too kindly being under anybody's authority. She's been married three times and the last guy who tried to tell her what to do found himself in a hasty retreat out the front door.
    It's strange actually, she will do anything for anybody to the point of servitude, until she feels she's being "told" what to do. Then you better take.cover.
    So.answering your question, yes, I think she'd be very pleased to come live with me, I just don't know how that would work. . .she'd try to run the house...
    Thanks for answering my questions so candidly, you have.taught me things today, Veena.
      March 27, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

I wish old people were appreciated here in the USA as much as they are appreciated in some other countries abroad.
      March 26, 2017 9:23 PM MDT