Discussion » Questions » Jobs » How can i prove discrimination in the workplace?

How can i prove discrimination in the workplace?

I cant get or keep a job which is creating problems , im forced to live on nothing cause of it. If people do hire me they find some excuse to dump me later, like for instance my last job i was handing out samples in the stores, everything was going great at first, the manager liked me, then the company sent someone over to train me, Im 4ft5, the trainer did mention about how i would be able to reach stuff on the higher shelves. the next thing I know im being told I cant come back cause they have too many people in my area doing the job, which is nonsense cause i had been told they had noone in my area by someone else, i did nothing wrong so I dont get why the canning all of a sudden, any suggestions? Im trying to see if I can get ssi on the fact of being a dwarf. how can i get and keep a job if people are doing this? 

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

• Can't really.   It's employment-at-will with the exception of race, creed, sexuality, and gender/ gender identification.  Outside of that you can be hired and fired for any reason or no reason at all.
      March 26, 2017 10:23 AM MDT

Here in Ohio, at 4' 5" you would be considered handicapped and be able to get SSI.
      March 26, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

thanks, maybe i should go live in ohio then
      March 26, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

• Hi Pearl, I have been thinking of you...and I am so very sorry about the job, they are idiots not to see your value and worth.

Since you pretty much know what is going on with your height, I wonder if it might work to just deal with that pre-emptively? That is, YOU yourself address it before the employer has a chance to kick in with the discrimination?

So my ideas, first of all yes, pursue the Social Security but at the same time, keep job-hunting...and then when an employer sees you in person, you just say; "Look, I am xx years old, with a good education and excellent references." Then you hand over copies of written references from school, pastor, family, whatever...and continue, "I am reliable, I have integrity, I can be one of your best employees. But you must be the one to see further than my height of 4'5".

You mention once your family is from South America, is that correct? Well if you come from a population who are all small, maybe even mention that; "My heritage is the ......... people of the Andes (or whatever) in South America; there is nothing wrong with us, our height is a genetic adaptation over the centuries."
    One other idea, depending on the circumstances: Why not even take those references to your previous manager, the one who liked you, tell him/her you really liked that job, and see if he/she might be willing to forward your references 'upstairs,' and see if it might still be possible to get your termination reversed!
    I certainly do wish you well...hoping for something wonderful for you.
      March 26, 2017 11:21 AM MDT

• I agree with Glis .. proving that would be very doubtful. 

As a past hiring manager, my eyes would have glazed over to take the approach Virginia just shared. My interest would be solely focused on your ability to perform the job, based on your presentation and any related experience. Most potential employers will never look past the first page of a resume or listen to any explanation or dissertation of my genetics in family history. 

Unless you are applying for a highly skilled or required skill sets job, no one really cares about reading reference letters. What are you going to do, provide a bad reference? Helpful, perhaps ... would not be for me.

Of course I wish you the very best and feel that you would make a great hire in any number of jobs. Always take into account, transportation, cost of uniforms, distance, hours and any other factors.

Much luck and success! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2017 10:39 AM MDT
      March 26, 2017 12:12 PM MDT

I think, that the problem is that the jobs you are getting are pretty flaky to start with. This is NOT your fault but they are the exact kind that are sink or swim jobs, AND are inherently unreliable. To give an example, my son was working as a temp at a pharmaceutical place... he was reliable, hard working, AND contributed lots of ideas for improvements - that didn't stop them ringing him one morning saying, 'don't come back' He didn't do anything wrong AND they kept one of his inventions! 

SO what I am saying is.. that kind of job is like that.. they want you when they want you and when they don't or if even they just decide on a whim that your face doesn't fit, they will get rid of you without hesitation. it's unfair! But sadly there is nothing you can do about it, just like it was unfair about my son :(

I know you have realistically few options and choices, but if at all possible try to avoid zero hours contracts and jobs where you don't have set hours and days.. they tend to be unreliable.
      March 26, 2017 12:56 PM MDT

You can't prove discrimination because you do not fall into a protected class unless your height is considered a disability in your state.  You have tried to get SSI before so I have to think your state does not consider 4'5" to be a challenge to regular life activities.  I don't agree.  I' m 5'2" and drag a stool around with me so I can reach what most people can with no assistance.  I suggest you go see a Social Security attorney.  That does not mean a government attorney; it means a lawyer who handles Social Security and Disability claims.  If you need help finding one you can message me with your city.  I've never known another person try so hard to work and be consistently told no.  God bless you, sweet girl. 
      March 26, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

• This is a fine message, Thriftymaid.

Dear Pearl,
    I had Social Security disability for a while, and it was an attorney who helped me; virtually impossible without one, I found. And when he decided to take my case, it was on contingency; that is, I did not have to pay up front, the attorney took his fee out of my award.
      March 27, 2017 8:27 AM MDT