Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Why would the police charge someone with animal cruelty when his actions are not animal cruelty?

Why would the police charge someone with animal cruelty when his actions are not animal cruelty?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pet-owner-says-he-shot-15-year-old-dog-to-death-to-end-her-suffering/

FACT: Only people who are not capable of logical thinking consider his actions as animal cruelty.

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

I challenge anyone to logically explain to me why FACT looks like F  ACT when I know that I typed FACT. 
      March 26, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

It has to do with typing after posting a link, it was considering the F as part of the link. I have issues with it sometimes as well. But I was able to fix it for you.
      March 27, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

• In some places that is defined on the books as an act of cruelty.   Without knowing the specifics of the locale, the universal truth is that the police are tasked with enforcing whatever the written law says.     Now that he is charged it is up to the courts and jury to find if he breeched any of the laws as written.  
    It's worth noting that the dog was discovered by a passer by who noticed the dead dogs paw protruding from the beach sand.   Which suggest the owner didn't really do much in properly disposing or burying the beloved pet.   That little nugget brings a lot of questioning to this story and is in itself somewhat suspicious.

It could be that he did so in an area were shooting your dog is always illegal on abuse claims or it could be that the case was deemed shady and worthy of a court hearing considering it seems that he just threw some sand over the body and left it there.

March 26, 2017 8:53 PM MDT

• There's something not quite right with this man's story.  He didn't go ahead and euthanize the dog when the vet recommended it before the dog was suffering too much he waited until the dog was dying and then he did what he says was the only option then he didn't bury her in the backyard or a pet cemetery he buried her in the beach where she was probably going to be washed up by the tide.  I've never heard of anyone burying their beloved pet on a beach.

I've had to euthanize pets, it's a horrible, horrible decision but done by a vet they just slip away in less than a minute.  The idea is to not wait until the animal is gasping before humanely ending their life, I don't believe this dog just suddenly collapsed she must have been steadily getting worse and how did he know she was going to choke in 30 minutes?

This certainly should be investigated.
      March 26, 2017 9:48 PM MDT

Well,  it's surely possible that the man shot his dog as an act of mercy, and I do not blame him for not "euthanizing" Allie just when or because the veterinarian recommended it.   

I know that Virginia Beach is a very populated area, and has been for a long time. Only someone incapable of logical thinking, would shoot their dog and bury her on a beach there. I think Whalen's story sounds rather odd, too. He has a lawyer.....perhaps he'll be acquitted of the charges. 

March 27, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

• Hey Piper! ^_^

I feel the same way as you do.  It's the way the dog's remains were handled that raises the questions.   Burying your beloved friend in a shallow sandy grave by the shore seems suspicious to me.
      March 27, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

Hey there, Glis.  :)   Yeah, there are are a few things about the man's story that seem sort of sketchy to me. 
      March 27, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

• Any reputable vet is not going to recommend euthanizing an animal unless they can see it's necessary to prevent suffering, in fact it would be financially advantageous to the vet to just keep treating the animal.  This man ignored the vet's advice and waited until the poor dog was choking to death which is probably what the vet was trying to avoid.
      March 27, 2017 10:20 PM MDT

That has not been my experience, even with some supposedly "reputable vets". I agree that no ethical veterinarian would. Yes, you DO have a point there,  about it  being more financially advantageous to continue treating an animal.   

I do not know if the dog was choking to death, or would have on the way to an animal hospital. 

March 28, 2017 1:37 PM MDT