Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Can you recall any faux pas that were committed when somebody forgot a live microphone?

Can you recall any faux pas that were committed when somebody forgot a live microphone?

Ronald Reagan didn't realise he was broadcasting during a microphone test when he announced, "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you that I signed legislation today that will outlaw Russia forever. The bombing starts in five minutes."

Know any more?

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

My mother told me this: There was a children's show host in the Golden Age of Radio who used to sing This is Your Uncle Bob,goodnight good kiddies good night..and one night he added "That oughta hold the bastards!"
    Evidently quite a scandal at the time
      March 27, 2017 4:02 AM MDT

Evidently his name was Uncle Don and Snopes said its false,good story,though:
    http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/radio/uncledon.asp
      March 27, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

• Oops! That sort of thing must have happened more than once. 
      March 27, 2017 1:06 PM MDT

One was mine. Playing my guitar in church before the service one morning, the third highest pitched string broke - the one tuned to "G". Without thinking, I said out loud, "Blast, I've broken my 'G' string" - and my mike was 'hot'. The entire congregation roared laughing.
    One of those facepalm moments ...
      March 27, 2017 6:26 AM MDT

• Oh boy, Mrs Didge is gonna love that! I certainly did. 
      March 27, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

An apocryphal one attributed to cricket commentator Brian Johnston who was prone to on-air gaffes.
    England vs West Indies, 1976. England batsman Peter Willey was on strike and lethally fast Michael Holding of the West Indies was about to bowl at him. Johnston supposedly made the following immortal quote:
    "Play is about to resume now, the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey."

Hilarious stuff but sadly it never happened????
      March 27, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

• Did you ever hear Jonathan Agnew's unfortunate bit of commentary about getting a rubber over the bat handle. I thought Michael Vaughn was going to explode sitting next to him.
      March 27, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

• If it didn't happen it most certainly should have. That deserves its place in any Gaffe Hall of Fame.

I watched a debate on Australian racism one night hosted by Jana Wendt. The lead antagonist was a horrible little radio broadcaster named Ron Casey who seemed to hate everybody. When it was all over and the group of participants were starting to leave, Jana said, "You're a real gentleman, Mr Casey." And he flew at her. Even with his radio background the fool didn't think that the cameras were still running. He was set up, of course, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. 
      March 27, 2017 1:12 PM MDT

The most obvious and recent one that comes to mind, is the current president's "locker room banter" with Billy Bush. I figure most every one knows what he said. He was 59 years old and newly married to his third wife, who was pregnant. It was okay though, 'cause boys will be boys....   
      March 27, 2017 1:12 PM MDT

• Yep, it is top of the list. But he's not alone. 
      March 27, 2017 1:13 PM MDT