Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Did you know aM moderators engaging is censorship and delete innocuous comments exchanged between adult members?

Did you know aM moderators engaging is censorship and delete innocuous comments exchanged between adult members?

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

AM moderators are good. I used to be one on here. I know they do a good job. Everything by the TOS. We're the champs.
      March 27, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

• Censorship is never good.  And I cannot get a full answer if the moderator took it upon herself to delete the comments or if the member I posted to requested they be removed.  
      March 27, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

http://answermug.com/faq/view/23/1/4/0/how-do-i-find-out-who-reported-me
      March 27, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

• My concern is not to know who, but if.  I had a mildly and mutually rancorous exchange with a member.  If my responses displeased this individual enough that he requested their removable this is one thing.  If a moderator, uninvolved in this exchange, stumbled upon our exchange and decided of her own volition to remove them, it is quite another.  Two adults do not need a babysitter.  If neither participant in the exchange was put off, let it stand.  
      March 27, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

i dont blame them
      March 27, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

• Personally I think the rules about dialogue are a tad strict and turn many more people off than it does welcome but at the same time it's not my sandbox and I signed up to it.
    I do think the site would benefit from getting rid of or using much more discretion in letting things slide in terms of language and video posting in general discussion if my opinion matters on it.
      March 27, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

• It matters to me and I'm sure others too!
      March 27, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

• Yes, this is a site with mostly adult membership.  It is not grade school.  I suspect that some people who have  marginal authority like to use that authority to lord it over others.   Perhaps it is a means of compensating for lack in other aspects of their life.
      March 27, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

• Okay now you're just trying to fan flames.  Your complaint isn't going to get heard going about it like that. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 28, 2017 5:33 AM MDT
      March 27, 2017 3:27 PM MDT

• Why do you conclude this?
      March 27, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

• The tone an evidence before me in your previous comment.  If this is truly an issue ( as it is for many of us users here) using ad hominem attacks on the administration and conjecture over motive is only making the complaint look childish.  It's worth noting this isn't a big corporate site and the site owner actually gives a rat's-*** about it and the experience of the users.  That is until someone uses their complaints and moderation issues to make verbal punches towards her and staff in the public sphere.

Legitimate issues and questions don't excuse tantrums. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 28, 2017 7:48 AM MDT
      March 27, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

• Unfortunately the original exchange is not available that I might present it to defend my position or for other members to read and reach there own conclusion.  I will endeavor to present a fair overview.  Yes, the exchange was mildly and mutually rancorous.  This seemed acceptable to each of us.  No, neither of us used obscenities, insults or attacks, or so I would access it.  Possibly each of us was engaged in a bit of posturing prattle.  This is of no matter. Unless the other member filed complaint I will hold firmly to my position the moderator overstepped in entering a conversation and censoring it.
      March 28, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

• Possibly.   Talk to JA about it in a respectful manner and see what happens.
      March 28, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

• I have been given links to the TOS and hold they were not violated. The entire issue rests on if a complaint was filed or not.  That one was seems doubtful.  Which ever the case the issue has grown more than it merits.
      March 28, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

Sounds like they need corrected.

March 27, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

• Who is this person? And who needs corrected the TOS or members?
      March 28, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

Delbert Grady from The Shining. He told Jack Torrence that his family needed "correcting". The TOS need *corrected*.
      March 28, 2017 10:30 AM MDT

• Dear Whistle6,
    I have not been on aMug all that long, but I am impressed by the consistency and quality of moderation. If anything, I would say the moderators are too lenient...but then I even appreciate that, to err on the side of leniency.

I am not sure what role Just Asking has with aMug, but I know her philosophy shapes much of the site. So below are two links where if you look up her post, you will see how the site is shaped overall. 

And truly, you Whistle6 should have seen Ask.com...for one whole year, about half of my posts were removed by bots, mindless software trigger programs which are not even used here. This site truly seems to make special efforts for user-friendly, user-fairness.

http://answermug.com/forums/topic/26337/what-is-social-engineering
    http://answermug.com/forums/topic/26210/why-do-the-q-a-websites-close-down/view/page/2
      March 27, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

I really can't comment -seriously I CAN'T, or not properly... All I can say is.. we agree to be here so unfortunately we just have to endure their rules...you and me both
      March 27, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

• Anarchy doesn't work. There should be rules and there should be somebody in control. If the site was allowed to freewheel down hill we'd quickly lose far too many valued contributors. I've been to a few sites like this and I applaud the attitude and skill of both mods and owner.

If any member prefers to function on a site where "adult content" is allowed freely, that's OK too, and adultMug has been provided. Everybody has an outlet.
      March 27, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

• You and I have both seen that - the difficulties of moderating...and I still recall with all the moderation problems on Ask.com, you were consistent in not blaming the mods themselves, in commending them for hard job conscientiously carried out. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 28, 2017 7:47 AM MDT
      March 27, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

• A few people -- mostly Pamper and her friends -- accused me of brown nosing and the mods of favouritism, but I applauded the job they did. And, if I got away with more than Pamper, it was because I took the trouble to do it within the guidelines -- barely. :)
      March 27, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

• I did not even know that!
    Well, now we do know what happens when those folks get a looser rein...brought down sweet Sephira's site, if I recall...
      March 27, 2017 5:22 PM MDT

• They destroyed it within months.
      March 27, 2017 5:42 PM MDT