Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever experienced culture shock in another country?

Have you ever experienced culture shock in another country?

Or even in another community? What happened? How did you cope?

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

• Only going through customs at Rome... The guy was a dead ring for Peter Sellers as Closeau.. Was hard to keep a straight gave and I was dying to ask him about his minky This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2017 10:46 PM MDT
      March 27, 2017 7:59 PM MDT

• I wonder if he was used to it? Maybe he deliberately chose to look like that.
      March 27, 2017 8:04 PM MDT

Every country I've been to is trying to mimic Western Culture methink, but hard to tell if tis a true mimic. Perhaps Western Culture just promotes progress more so than others and by doing so becomes representative of progress. I now understand progress can be had without it and NOT dependent on any one culture. So far Western Culture has been the best and most nurturing. Answer to your question, No, not so much. This post was edited by O-uknow at March 28, 2017 4:29 AM MDT
      March 27, 2017 9:58 PM MDT

• Interesting response. Thanks, O.
      March 28, 2017 4:29 AM MDT

When I first arrived in Seoul I realized I did not understand a word written on bill boards or street signs. 
      March 28, 2017 5:15 AM MDT

• That HAD to pull you up short. It's so easy to forget how dependent we become on signs.
      March 28, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

Americans are overly concerned about keeping food sanitary so when I saw Parisians carrying a loaf of unwrapped bread under their arm, or Turks wrapping a sandwich in newspaper, I was taken aback. In Morocco we had a large dead cockroach on a plate of olives. When we pointed it out to the waiter, he removed it and set the plate back on our table.
      March 28, 2017 5:27 AM MDT

• Yech! I don't think it's too much to expect food to be clean and germ free. You're probably lucky he didn't charge extra for the cockroach. 
      March 28, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

• I've been to a lot of countries but I think when I went to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania that I really saw a whole different way of life and I liked it. Don't know what it's like now but that was a total shock to me. Never met nicer welcoming people like that before. It was quite a shock being treated so nicely after some of the rudeness in other countries.
      March 28, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

• It's nice to be able to say that, Rooster.Good memory.
      March 28, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

not that i remember but i was only 7 when i came here
      April 3, 2017 5:29 PM MDT