Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » There was a disussion recently about food in prisons (US)...

There was a disussion recently about food in prisons (US)...

In this discussion it was stated that prisons provide Kosher and Halal meals for inmates.  I have asked several vets about this in the military and was told the military has no such obligation.  so why do prisons? 

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

• I guess without the provision it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment... As a guess This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2017 10:44 PM MDT
      March 27, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

• I don't know .... Just give them a bagel and be done with it. 
      March 27, 2017 7:51 PM MDT

the everchanging logistics for a moving army becomes even more impossible when trying to allow for such dietary differences. It is much easier for a prison that have lots of time to find as single stable supplier of fx "halal meat"
      March 27, 2017 10:31 PM MDT

Were those vets you asked strictly observant Jews or Muslims?  The U.S. military does provide those meals upon request.

http://jewishworldreview.com/kosher/kosher_soldiers.php3 
      March 28, 2017 6:00 AM MDT

• Good point. No, they were not Jews or Muslims.
      March 28, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

It is written policy that the military services will accommodate "religious" food requirements when ever possible and it is not detrimental to the service members or the mission. They have also received dispensations for all affected personnel, from all major organized religions to serve what is available when necessary during combat or other adverse conditions even if the meals are not according to their religious practices. On another subject, Chaplains in all military services are trained and authorized (by their own religious order) to perform religious rights and services of all the major religions represented in the military services. I have seen a Rabbi Chaplain give the Catholic last rights to a soldier who was about to die. As an example.
      March 28, 2017 7:43 AM MDT

• Your last sentence is intriguing and may lead to very interesting theological discussions.  How could a rabbi sincerely and efficaciously offer extreme unction?  Setting aside whether there is truth to any  of it I wonder what other members think.    
      March 28, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

I am not a theologian by any means and the history of the Chaplain Corps is not only interesting but fascinating. As it was explained to me many years ago in a very steamy jungle after many, many years of meetings and negotiations the major "organized religions" came to some sort of agreement.
      March 28, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

didnt know they serve all that
      April 3, 2017 5:24 PM MDT