Discussion » Questions » Environment » Wouldn't it be great if refuse collection started to put the same focus on seperating organic and non-organic waste as it does on recycling?

Wouldn't it be great if refuse collection started to put the same focus on seperating organic and non-organic waste as it does on recycling?

Recycling is sort of a red-herring.   In many ways it actually contributes more to over-all pollution and increases the production and  the use of plastics.   How come there is no focus on separating organic waste that when added to the land benefits it from inorganic waste that damages it?
The decomposed organic waste can even be saved and put into the market to offset costs and decrease the use of chemical fertilizers and soil compounds taken from the land.
This would greatly reduce the size used for our dumping grounds of less environmentally friendly waste.

Plastic recycling still needs new plastic for the process and requires more energy than virgin plastics.   Glass can be 100% recycled but has no significant damaging health effect on the environment and transporting it to recycling just adds to the air pollution.   Paper recycling is about a wash. The recycling of metal is really the only good that is concrete in being better to recycle than throw away.

Got to better way.

Posted - March 28, 2017

Responses

Separating organic waste from non organic waste must require even greater resources and probably contributes to pollution. A cost and effect analysis should be done before we can know if it would be so great.
      March 28, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

• Encourage it  at the source .   As has been done over the years for recyclables. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 28, 2017 9:09 AM MDT
      March 28, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

• It's a good idea but would probably cost too much money to implement. I know I'm an avid re-cycler and I'm really good at separating things each week and we do have have a green waste bin for all grass and organic material but you are right about plastics. They try pretty hard here to separate everything but not everyone bothers to help do it. Many just throw everything in the trash and don't care. Make the people aware first and then implement a new plan for recycle. It could be done but getting the people to take the time to help out will be the hard part! 
    Good ideas Glis!
      March 28, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

• Yeah it does require a big effort.   However it worked fr recycling plastics.  Sure not everybody does it, but  a lot do now.  Starts off slow but encouraging people to do it and giving them the option leads to good things.
    The incentive to do it would be what I saw being the incentive to recycle when I was a kid.   Most people didn't care but when they realized they had to buy fewer garbage bags by using the recycle bin they gave it a go.

Same could be true for compostable can.

Personally I try to put most of my food and organic scraps in a compost pile with the fall leaves.  I'd be lying if I said I'm always consistent on it though.
      March 28, 2017 8:25 AM MDT

• It's just getting the dang people to do it!
      March 28, 2017 8:31 AM MDT

•   March 28, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

• That one didn't come through!

March 28, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

• the proposal would require the participation of the customers.  To what degree they'd participate is in question.
      March 28, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

Since we have become trained monkeys when it comes to recycling, I don't see why one additional separation would make any difference. Composting is big business where I live.  I think arrangements could easily be made with local farmers or entrepreneurs.  I actually already recycle it myself.  I chuck all the organic waste on a wooded part of my property for the critters.

Write to your representatives to create a bill.  If they don't respond, run for office and create the bill yourself.  You appear to possess more common sense than most of our politicians put together.

March 28, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

• You bring up another good point.   Just throw it in a pile or hole in your yard if you have one.

You're thinking like I am though.   If we were able to get people to separate and recycle paper, glass, and metal.   I'm sure over time getting people to put organic waste in a dedicated bin separate from other junk could happen.   Hell, people weren't half as conscious about the environment when the recycling started.
      March 28, 2017 5:10 PM MDT