Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Did you know house republicans voted to allow your ISP to sell your Internet activity to anyone willing to pay for it?

Did you know house republicans voted to allow your ISP to sell your Internet activity to anyone willing to pay for it?

Republican lawmakers in the US Senate approved a measure on Thursday designed to kill federal broadband privacy protections and allow internet service providers like AT&T and Verizon to sell your sensitive private information to the highest bidder.     50-48 
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/senate-republicans-vote-to-allow-isps-to-sell-your-private-data

Posted - March 28, 2017

Responses

I think they are already doing that. My spam folder is full of junk mail everyday.
    If I am searching for something, pretty soon it shows up in my spam folder.
      March 28, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

After reading up on it. This law changes nothing. It is getting rid of a regulation that was passed in October 2016...That NEVER went into effect.

The law actually protects the larger companies like Google, Facebook etc from competition from smaller ISPs. In fact the regulation that the regulation passed in October 2016 did not apply to Google etc.
    This just makes it where all the data sellers (Google, Facebook, website, ISPs etc) on the same rules.

There is a reason Google, Facebook etc are free, because they are already doing it. We are the product Google sells.  There is a reason when you view  a product it is suddenly in your email and in ads on sites. It is already happening and the law would not have stopped it. It puts them all under the same laws....Why do we want laws that protect the big guys from fair competition?
      March 30, 2017 6:31 AM MDT

The regulation only applied to ISPs...they are not free.  We pay for our internet service.  It would have made it so they had to give us the option to opt out.  Revoking the regulation puts ISPs at the advantage because they know everywhere you go online.  The free services only track you when you are using those services.
      March 30, 2017 7:20 AM MDT

Why should the government protect Google etc from competition from the ISPs? 
    The law NEVER went into effect.

Google is the only thing on all my devices. My provider is different at home, at work and on my phone.  This post was edited by my2cents at March 30, 2017 8:02 AM MDT
      March 30, 2017 7:26 AM MDT

Why should a service we pay for be able to sell our information?  

I know that, m2c, and I never claimed otherwise.
      March 30, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

We do for everything else. Even the DMV sells our info as well. 
      March 30, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

And they should not be allowed to do so, nor should any government entity.  

This regulation did not even prevent ISPs from selling information, it simply required a clear notification and giving people a chance to opt out.  It was a step in the right direction.   This post was edited by Bozette at March 30, 2017 11:09 AM MDT
      March 30, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

But they are and they do...If we are going to make it illegal regulate it, we should not favor on type of company over another.  The government should not pick winners and losers. If it is going to require an opt out for one then there should be an opt out for all.

March 30, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

Do you seriously think the government isn't favoring certain conpanies every frigging day???  Wow.  

You feel sorry for Comcast and AT&T?  Really?  Wow.

We pay Google, FB, and other free services with our information.  We have an opt out, we can choose not to use them.  We pay the ISPs in cash for the services they provide.  The ISPs also have broad access to every site we visit online and every app we use, the other companies do not.  
      March 30, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

No I feel sorry for no body. I just think the gov should not pick and choose. 
      March 30, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

The FCC has no say over Google or FB making an agreement with you. They do regulate ISPs.

You have an opt-out with online services that are not ISPs...you can choose to use them or not. Choosing to opt opt of using FB, say, doesn't prevent you from using the internet completely.
      March 30, 2017 9:45 AM MDT

• It wasn't protecting Google!  It was the start of protecting users and consumers.  Now the precedent is reversed that could have led to wrangling in the bigger evils of Google, Facebook, and the rest.

Reversing this is protecting corporations and further giving them the rights of a person and citizen.  The other factor is that Don't have to use Google and facebook.  There are other options.   ISP spying is impossible to stop if you are going to have service.   Google and Facebook are by choice.

You're opt out for Google is to use a privacy minded search engine. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 30, 2017 11:10 AM MDT
      March 30, 2017 9:26 AM MDT

The gov should treat all the same. You think Google money and lobbyists were not behind that law? I guarantee you they were. 
    Make them all have the opt out. 

March 30, 2017 9:33 AM MDT

• I think they should too but we at least have a choice with them.  None with ISPs and reverting this law brings us farther away from it.
    I totally disagree that Google lobby's were likely  behind this law, since it spelled trouble for them.
    You have to use an ISP,  you don't have to use google services.  No one is forcing you to use Google or facebook on the internet. They only track what you allow them by your own decision to use their free services.  Now if we want to use the internet we have to pay someone to track us in everything we do online.  As Bozetter also said.  The FCC only has authority to regulate providers so your point isn't even square.
    I think your biting the propaganda bait here.
      March 30, 2017 10:27 AM MDT