Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Concerning privacy, do you feel there's a difference between government/ law enforcement monitoring and monitoring for corporate profit?

Concerning privacy, do you feel there's a difference between government/ law enforcement monitoring and monitoring for corporate profit?

Does your feeling on it change depending on who's watching you and why?

Posted - March 28, 2017

Responses

• Personally no not really.    I don't think anyone should be recorded without a warrant first.  Honestly?   I think government NSA style monitoring is worse.
    Nothing should be recorded or tracked without a warrant first and providers shouldn't be allowed to watch the traffic.
      March 28, 2017 11:11 AM MDT

Does your opinion differ when a provider monitors things to improve services?
      March 28, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

• Yes.   It's too easy an excuse.   When an issue arises then it should be asked if the user wants it reported.
    I don't see any reason for tracking what and where a person who isn't part of an investigation is doing or going other than to sell data.
      March 28, 2017 11:21 AM MDT

• There's a very great difference, and yet when we install all manner of software we give companies the authority to monitor us simply by clicking on the user agreement. Sometimes I resent that but mostly accept that it's the price I have to pay to get "free" downloads. 
      March 28, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

There are differences, but with very rare exceptions, neither should be allowed to monitor us. 
      March 28, 2017 6:37 PM MDT