Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are Open Borders the ideaology behind Sanctuary Cities that put the welfare of dangerous, criminal, illegal aliens before the safety of its

Are Open Borders the ideaology behind Sanctuary Cities that put the welfare of dangerous, criminal, illegal aliens before the safety of its

own citizens?

Posted - March 29, 2017

Responses

I believe so. 
    ~
      March 29, 2017 7:06 AM MDT

• Mmmm.   That's excessively hyperbolic but yes to the underlying idea.

March 29, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

Yes exactly.
      March 29, 2017 7:45 AM MDT

NO. NO. A million times NO.

This is a huge misconception about sanctuary cities. They do NOT protect criminals - illegal or otherwise. They cooperate 100% with the authorities in apprehending the bad guys. 
      March 29, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

Huh?

Sanctuary cities "cooperate 100% with the authorities in apprehending the bad guys", even though by their very definition that's the exact opposite of what they do?

:|
      March 29, 2017 10:29 PM MDT

Randy - their purpose is to protect illegal immigrants from the authorities who wish to deport them. As we all know, they are often decent people who have been here for years and raised families, etc etc.

You can make a valid argument that just by being "illegal" they are criminals. However, some believe they deserve sanctuary. I believe so.

They do NOT protect criminals in the usual sense of murder, robbery. etc etc. Those are the ones I meant when I said the sanctuary people cooperate with the police in apprehending them.

March 29, 2017 11:56 PM MDT

Falsities in your premise:

1. "As we all know"  This presumes that everyone has the same perspective on an issue.
    2. "You can make a valid argument that just by being 'illegal' they are criminals. " The mere act a non-citizen of being in the United States without benefit of legal status is not a criminal act, it is an infraction of administrative law, much like a code violation or a traffic offense.
    3. "Those are the ones I meant when I said the sanctuary people cooperate with the police in apprehending them." Many jurisdictions wherein the powers that be have designated as sanctuary cities have expressly stated that no cooperation whatsoever will take place, regardless of the charges against a foreign national.  While the leaders and police chiefs in some such cities have stated otherwise, it is not a fact that all sanctuary cities distinguish themselves in the exact same way.  That's like saying that all illegal aliens are exactly alike, or that all people who oppose illegal immigration are exactly alike.
    ~
      March 30, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

You're missing the spirit of the thing, but that's ok.
      March 30, 2017 12:35 AM MDT

That's certainly the pot calling the kettle black.  That's not ok.

:|

March 30, 2017 12:40 AM MDT