Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » theological dilemma...

theological dilemma...

I had an interesting exchange with another member about military clerics.  Military cleric are cross trained in several religions.  So a rabbi might perform extreme unction.  A Baptist here confession.  This seems to created substantial theological dilemmas.  What do you think?

Posted - March 29, 2017

Responses

• Theology is a dilemma.
      March 29, 2017 8:08 PM MDT

• Well now you have only multiplied the dilemmas! Gods save us!
      March 29, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

• It's a work-around. It wouldn't be practical to have too many different denominations represented in a single unit. You'd have almost as many sky pilots as you would warriors. 

We all attended church parade when I did my military training? Why? Because each Sunday morning they called volunteers for church parade to form up on the right, and volunteers to carry rocks to form up on the left. We all went right.
      March 29, 2017 8:50 PM MDT

• Hi Whistle6,
    No, there is no dilemma, theological or otherwise - unless the individual clerics are bothered.

For many years I taught a class called variously SEEDS OF TRUTH...all the basic truths are found in all the religions, and atheism too for that matter. Confession, the Golden Rule, the trinity...communion and the other sacraments...substantially they are all there, just the form varies.

So if a cleric is on his or her game, it's just no problem whatsoever.
    This remnant of an ancient Wiccan rede can be seen as a version of The Golden Rule:
    ...an' it harm none, do what ye will...
      March 29, 2017 9:36 PM MDT

• Fr Bede Kenny (I think) compiled the scriptures of all the great religions in a book called Universal Wisdom. I remember his preface was very interesting but it's a long time since I read it. 
      March 29, 2017 10:53 PM MDT

• Dozy for a long time I actually thought that idea was my own bright idea...turns out lots of folks have thought of it, even written books!

I have not read Fr. Bede Kenny, but you are extremely well read on such matters...
      March 29, 2017 11:52 PM MDT

• Now if only I could remember all the things I've read... :(
      March 30, 2017 12:36 AM MDT

the Golden Rule, okay, but Confession, the trinity...communion, in Buddhism or Islam? hmmm... must have involved some very clever twisting of beliefs and doctrines.
      April 3, 2017 2:47 PM MDT

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
      March 29, 2017 10:13 PM MDT

Is it the clerics job to convince the soldiers that God wants them to kill the members of their same religion on the other side of the battle field like in WWI and WWII and almost all civil wars?
      March 30, 2017 5:22 AM MDT

• Good point.   People should only kill those of different religions.  
      April 3, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

I sure didn't say that. Most religions seem to have no problem killing people of other religions. I think it takes a little more coaxing to get them to kill those of their own religion. But I don't really know how they think.
      April 3, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

theological dilemma...

I had an interesting exchange with another member about military clerics.  Military cleric are cross trained in several religions.  So a rabbi might perform extreme unction.  A Baptist here confession.  This seems to created substantial theological dilemmas.  What do you think?

==========================================================================================

That tends to happen. I remember visiting a hospital which was literally on the opposite side of a road to the largest mosque in town. Yet this hospital had a chaplaincy group in which various faiths were represented, except Islam. Apparently the Rabbi was called whenever a Muslim patient needed religious attention.

As for army chaplains, I think they tend to be of the majority faith. In the US that would be Christianity. That’s ok, but what is questionable is their forming a church group of soldiers to proselytise to the locals when posted overseas. Here’s a video of their preparation for such work in Afghanistan.

April 3, 2017 3:58 PM MDT