Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Business » How much business do telemarketers drum up by being rude as opposed to what they might drum up by not being rude?

How much business do telemarketers drum up by being rude as opposed to what they might drum up by not being rude?

It's 8:30 at night here, my cell phone just rang showing a number from a city approximately 450 miles north of my home (so it's still in the same time zone that I'm in).  Although it's extremely rare for me to receive a work-related call when I'm at home in the evenings, it's not entirely out of the question that someone in one of our distant offices was the caller. Also, many of our employees have transferred from other cities/states, and have not changed their cell phone numbers, another possibility that it was work-related. Either way, instead of ignoring the unknown number, I answered it. Here's what transpired:

Me: Hello?
He: Hello, I'm calling from [garbled] Company, how are you?
Me: I'm sorry, but I didn't hear what you said the name of your company is.
He: Well, the reason for my call is that we'd like to offer you a . . .
Me: Excuse me, but what did you say is the name of your company is?
He: We have a special promotion going on right now . . .
Me: Can you hear me at all?
He: . . . that I'd like to tell you about . . .
Me: Are you even listening to a word I've said?
He: . . . and I'm sure you'll like what we've put together here.
Me: (Perturbed) Would you mind telling me what is the name of your company, please?
He: This offer is only good for a short while, so . . .

That's where I gave up and ended the call. 

Do you think many consumers or potential customers fall for these tactics and eventually reward salespeople like this one by closing a deal?

:|

Posted - March 29, 2017

Responses

No, methink deals are closed on a more personal level or before hand by those who have already thought out the pros and cons and don't need an offer or sales pitch. Even afterwards when the pitch is done and an analysis rendered. This post was edited by O-uknow at March 29, 2017 10:19 PM MDT
      March 29, 2017 10:18 PM MDT

Thank you. 
    -
      March 29, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

• This sort of exchange is easily avoided by Caller ID or screening calls.
      March 29, 2017 10:18 PM MDT

Don't forget ignoring them as an option. Landlines are for sending out not receiving.
      March 29, 2017 10:21 PM MDT

That's why I covered in the description field why I answered a call from an unknown number. 
    Thanks, but I'm not seeking tips as to how to avoid it in the future, I'm seeking opinions on what a seller gains or hopes to gain by carrying on the way this character did. 
    -
      March 29, 2017 10:24 PM MDT

• It is likely he is a bored, frustrated drone working for some marginal base wage and commission.  The pitch is spoken running on automatic and he wishes to get through it quickly and make a sale to you or get you off the line and to go on to someone else.  Had you spoken only gibberish to him it may well gone unnoticed, just get the pitch out and move on.
      March 29, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

He sounded more pushy and aggressive than bored or frustrated.

~
      March 29, 2017 10:48 PM MDT

• Yes. That is part of sales.
      March 30, 2017 9:06 AM MDT

Hold on. Are we sure the caller was not automated? The responses seem very automated.
      March 29, 2017 10:31 PM MDT

• Ah!  This is good, like the Turing Test.
      March 29, 2017 10:34 PM MDT

That would have been a possibility, except that there were none of the tell-tale pauses before he spoke which I have heard in previous robo-calls. I think you do bring up a very good point though: what if their software has improved that much?  Hmmmmm.

~
      March 29, 2017 10:45 PM MDT

The software is matching key words and phrases from you to automated responses. The next logical step.
      March 29, 2017 10:52 PM MDT

It's definitely a robocall. The question I have with these calls is who is behind them? I can't imagine anyone buying whatever they're selling. If you stick it out to the end, they wind up asking you for an ok to sign up. Or assuming an ok. Or a credit card. It's all very strange.

I picture some poor soul creating these auto-mechanisms and selling them to other poor souls with auto-dialers and promises of riches. Blanket the marketlace seems to be the goal. SOMEONE will buy - it's just a matter of numbers. A concept as old as the hills in sales that rarely if ever works.

Expect more of them because the ISPs are going to sell your personal info based on where you surf on the internet. So be careful where you go on the net. And thank the Republican House for this bit of wisdom canceling the restrictions that were in place to prevent the ISPs from doing this very thing.

Welcom to Brave New World. 
      March 29, 2017 11:48 PM MDT

Ha ha Randy.....they might like to irk you and provoke you to react;))
      March 30, 2017 12:01 AM MDT

If so, how does that generate sales?  Companies are in business to make profits.
    Paying good money to install a phone system and to pay workers (or installing an automated system) that angers customers and causes them to hang up seems blatantly counterproductive. 

Irking ol' Randy D can't possibly have positive outcomes on the bottom line. 

-
      March 30, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

I agree with you about it being a losing proposition for them. They usually don't get a chance to be rude to me as I am usually the one who gets rude first.
      March 30, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

youre not the only one, theyre bothering me too even if im on the donotcall list i still hear from them
      March 30, 2017 11:28 AM MDT