Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Besides a holiday, birthday or anniversary, is there an event you look forward to every year?

Besides a holiday, birthday or anniversary, is there an event you look forward to every year?

Tomorrow I'm going to the Southern Women's Home Show. There will be lots of freebies, local celebrities, lots of vendors, contest give-a-ways, food and at 6:00 each night of the event, local firemen put on a strip show for charity. Most of them don't even get down to the tighty whities, so it stays in decent taste. :)
I look forward to this every year. 

Posted - March 31, 2017

Responses

That sounds like fun Karen.  I wish I could go with you.  There's nothing I know of like that around here in my part of NH.  We have chili, chowder, & apple pie contests/fairs in the fall.  But, once you've gone a few times, it' nothing special outside of the socialization factor.

BTW, I REALLY wish I was there with you.  We are expecting another snow storm today into late tomorrow with anywhere from 5 to 12 inches of heavy wet snow.  Normally I love the winter/cold but, I'm done.  Shoveling heavy wet snow is akin to shoveling concrete.  I'm DONE I tell ya!  :-(  
      March 31, 2017 4:25 AM MDT

• I wish you could come with us as well. I go with two friends and my niece. I always leave with at least two big bags of freebies. We always go out for Chinese buffet after, too. It's such a fun day. :)
    That really sucks about the snow. We barely get any here. When we do get it, it's mostly ice. The ice is the major factor in why we have so many accidents. It's not that Nashville people can't drive in the snow, it's that the ice is the problem. Can't drive when you're sliding all over the road. We are in storm/tornado season right now. We get a lot of severe storms in the Spring. 
      March 31, 2017 4:42 AM MDT

Sounds like you will have an awesome time!  I'm envious.

No matter where you live, ice is always an issue.  There is nothing you can do about it and it does cause a lot of accidents up here too.  As bad as the snow is, I guess I should shut up and suck it up.  Nothing is worse than a tornado.  I feel for everyone that lives in Tornado Alley.
      March 31, 2017 5:07 AM MDT

• We get a lot of damage from them every year. I think I'd rather have several feet of snow too. 
      March 31, 2017 5:09 AM MDT

• Since childhood, I still love the local fairs - carnival, music, food, displays.
    Also since learning history, people have done that for prolly thousands of years in Old Europe, for so many of us our ancestors! Maybe everywhere in the world too...
      March 31, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

• I like them too. Some of the rides I refuse to get on though. I'm a big sissy baby. :)
      March 31, 2017 9:00 AM MDT

• Me and the Sun do not get along very well. He/She causes me to get headaches if I'm outside too long on a sunny day.
      March 31, 2017 9:02 AM MDT

• Is that girl my long lost sister? I'm kinda pale complected and will get lobster red in less than 10 minutes. Then I peel, then I'm all pale again. My best friend is allergic to one of the sun's rays and she breaks out in a rash if she's in direct sunlight. I call us the Vampire Sisters. :)
      March 31, 2017 5:45 PM MDT

• August 8th and September 1st.
      March 31, 2017 5:30 AM MDT

hmmm.  Very cryptic.
      March 31, 2017 5:57 AM MDT

• August 8, 1966 first presentation of Star Trek.  September 1 Ber Day!  The nest four months end with "ber".
      March 31, 2017 4:21 PM MDT

• Ahhhhh.........I should have known that about Star Trek....Love this answer. :)
      March 31, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

• Echoes Harry's answer.....
      March 31, 2017 9:02 AM MDT

• see reply above...
      March 31, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

My annual potato harvest day - I make a day of it digging them up and having a BBQ. Cheers and happy weekend!
      March 31, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

• BBQ????? When will the taters be ready for harvest?? I love BBQ!!
      March 31, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

It always came through town back home.  I never went to it but lots of my friends did.  I hope you have a great day tomorrow.  I'm going to be taxiing family tomorrow, one airport pickup here and one in Atlanta early afternoon.  We're going to grab lunch at The Varsity before heading back here (I'm at my daughter's house).  Gonzaga plays at 5 and NC after that.  A fun and busy day for sure.  :) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at March 31, 2017 5:40 PM MDT
      March 31, 2017 12:32 PM MDT

• I have something else I'm kinda looking forward to and dreading all at the same time. I found Bailey's dad and we are going to fly out to Tacoma in June so they can meet face to face. We are also going to work on getting the divorce started. 
      March 31, 2017 5:42 PM MDT

Wow!  I can see feeling both.   How is Bailey about it?  I hope it will be a positive experience; I bet it will be.  I hope you don't find it too hard.  I think dissolving the marriage (finally) is wise.  I hope yall can stay out there a while.  Washington is beautiful!  I didn't like Seattle particularly but the rest of the state is grand.  I love it over on the Pacific coast.   I'm excited for yall!!

March 31, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

• She wants to go. I asked her about it and was going to do whatever she decided she wanted to do. She was 18 months old when he left, she has no memories of him at all. I think a face to face will finally put some closure on a lot of things for her. We are only going to stay two nights. I figured we would leave out on a Friday and come back on a Sunday. I think that's about all the time I would want to spend there. He said there is a fairly cheap motel close to where he lives, so that won't break my budget too bad. I'm going to try for the middle of June. She's never been in a plane before, I think she will like it. 
      March 31, 2017 10:47 PM MDT

This is a big trip for Bailey....first time flying is just BIG. 
      April 2, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

• Yep. I can't wait to see how she does. 
      April 2, 2017 6:33 PM MDT

not really to be honest since i always get stuck celebrating by myself
      April 3, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

I always look forward to the annual observance of the death of Jesus Christ. He instructed his followers to remember that day (Luke 22:19)every year millions gather with Jehovah's Witnesses to observe this important event. This year (2017)according to the biblical lunar calendar that date falls on Tuesday April 11th, held after sundown. To find out where in your community to attend consult with a local Jehovah's witness. It truly is the most sacred and auspicious night of the entire year!! I have been attending since 1962. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at April 8, 2017 12:56 AM MDT
      April 8, 2017 12:53 AM MDT