Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Easter will soon be here...

Easter will soon be here...

Is Easter and Christianity in general diminished by having its foremost holy day represented by Peter Cottontail, plastic eggs. Peeps and chocolate treats?

Posted - March 31, 2017

Responses

• No more so than some dude  serving his flesh and blood to his best friends for diner and then him being hammered to a cross till he dies so  his zombie corpse can rise from the dead.

March 31, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

• Actually the dogmatic  story is a lot cooler when it's broken down like this.
      April 1, 2017 5:22 AM MDT

• Glis...I don't know if you were on the old Ask.com, but you will prolly appreciate this from nerosmom there, Sept. 14, 2014...she gave some excellent posts!

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree... 

Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

April 1, 2017 11:27 AM MDT

• lmao...
      April 1, 2017 11:41 AM MDT

• WW, I appreciate that you take things like this in stride, with humour...
    I also am devotional, a close relationship with Yeshua ben Joseph...unwilling to conform to dogma, I will find my own way...nerosmom who posted this on Ask was Jewish (I think, maybe Dozy will recall for sure).
    I have seen your own connection with the Divine, and it is lovely.
      April 1, 2017 12:28 PM MDT

• Of course not. Easter celebrates the spring equinox and was a pagan festival long before Christians climbed aboard the bandwagon. 

Nobody objects to Christians sharing the festival and joining in the festivities but when they try to claim it as solely their own it's a bit much, don't you think. BTW Good Friday this year falls on Mrs Didge's birthday. She doesn't mind sharing her celebration, either.

Here's a link about Easter's origin

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 1, 2017 11:08 AM MDT
      March 31, 2017 6:47 PM MDT

• Is Mrs. Didge a savior then?
      March 31, 2017 6:49 PM MDT

• She certainly saved me from going troppo on more than one occasion. 
      March 31, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

• Troppo?
      March 31, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

• In the wet season in tropical areas people can begin to act erratically. They're said to have gone troppo. Synonyms: nuts, crazy, bonkers, ga-ga.
      March 31, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

• Like in the Ray Bradbury story?
      March 31, 2017 6:58 PM MDT

• I've read a few Bradburys but don't recall that one. 
      March 31, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

• One of the Illustrated Man stories. There are several spacefarers lost on a planet where it endlessly rains.  They are hunting for dry, safe accommodations in a Sundome.  Ah!  From the omniscient Google, "The Endless Rain" This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 1, 2017 11:08 AM MDT
      March 31, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

• Think of it as cabin fever...
      March 31, 2017 7:07 PM MDT

Pagan? Hmm, that's food for thought for those trying to follow the Christ of the Bible.
      March 31, 2017 7:58 PM MDT

• Food for thought, yes, but that doesn't make it less true. There's no reason why Christians shouldn'ty have climbed aboard an ancient festival and made it their own., Very practical. But Paganism and Christianity have few similarities their treatment of the festival produces quite different attitudes. 

I'm gonna do something I rarely do this year. I'm gonna buy a chocolate Easter egg. 
      March 31, 2017 8:48 PM MDT

• That's what happens when you plagiarise....
      March 31, 2017 7:07 PM MDT

• I guess that I was one of the fortunate ones growing up. We were presented with the spiritual importance of the occasion and we had the fun of the fantasy side of it all. I can honestly say that it didn't diminish our faith nor did it demean our testimony as Christians. We're in our third generation of pastors and clergy in the family and yes, we're still dyeing eggs and hiding plastic variety. It's all in the way you present it. 
      March 31, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

If the 'Christians' in the past would have held to the scriptures, they would not have adopted pagan festivals then and they wouldn't be so popular now. Fertility worship and its symbols like eggs and bunnies have nothing to do with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  The scriptures are there for a reason. (2 Tim 3:16)

(2 Corinthians 6:14-17) Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’”

(John 4:24) God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

(1 Timothy 1:3, 4) Just as I encouraged you to stay in Ephʹe·sus when I was about to go to Mac·e·doʹni·a, so I do now, in order for you to command certain ones not to teach different doctrine, 4 nor to pay attention to false stories and to genealogies. Such things end up in nothing useful but merely give rise to speculations rather than providing anything from God in connection with faith.

(2 Peter 1:16) No, it was not by following artfully contrived false stories that we made known to you the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but rather, we were eyewitnesses of his magnificence.

March 31, 2017 7:56 PM MDT

• Well, it seems like everywhere you go there's gonna be at least one out there that wants to beat you over the head with scripture. I'll just leave you with a suggestion. Read the Gospel of John. Sounds like you could use a little love to soften that approach. Then, there will always be some that are so Heavenly minded that they're no earthly good to themselves or anyone else. 
      March 31, 2017 8:11 PM MDT

Wasn't John inspired to write for us to worship with spirit and TRUTH? I just don't think that you should overstep the scriptures for a pagan tradition. Just because you are used to having your ears tickled by those that peddle the word of God. Does hearing and reading the scriptures in context irritate you and make those that quote them have a foul smell to you? 3rd generation of following pagan traditions doesn't make it right in God's eyes. Just saying.

(Mark 7:13) Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”
    (2 Timothy 4:3, 4) For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.
    (2 Corinthians 2:14-17) But thanks be to God, who always leads us in a triumphal procession in company with the Christ and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him in every place! 15 For to God we are a sweet fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 16 to the latter ones an odor of death leading to death, to the former ones a fragrance of life leading to life. And who is adequately qualified for these things? 17 We are, for we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but we speak in all sincerity as sent from God, yes, in the sight of God and in company with Christ.

EDIT: Would you say that Jesus "beat you over the head with scripture"? (Mark 7:9,13, Matt 4, etc) This post was edited by texasescimo at April 1, 2017 12:57 PM MDT
      April 1, 2017 3:10 AM MDT

• Thank goodness for a little sanity on the subject. :)

No, I didn't watch it all but I did watch the first few minutes. 
      March 31, 2017 8:51 PM MDT

• Dozy, I saw that red hair on the puppet and began to wonder if it was Danny Kaye...seeing this just gives you a good feeling - even though I also saw just the first few moments!
      April 1, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

• I missed that. It could easily have been modelled on him, couldn't it. 
      April 1, 2017 5:08 PM MDT