Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Who still remembers Representative Bella Abzug?

Who still remembers Representative Bella Abzug?

Bella Savitsky Abzug (July 24, 1920 – March 31, 1998), nicknamed "Battling Bella", was an American lawyerU.S. Representativesocial activist and a leader of the Women's Movement. In 1971, Abzug joined other leading feminists such as Gloria SteinemShirley Chisholm, and Betty Friedan to found the National Women's Political Caucus.

Abzug declared, "This woman's place is in the House—the House of Representatives", in her successful 1970 campaign. She was later appointed to chair the National Commission on the Observance of International Women's Year and to plan the 1977 National Women's Conference by President Gerald Ford and led President Jimmy Carter's commission on women.

Posted - April 2, 2017

Responses

The lady politician who always wore big hats and had a big personality. :)

April 2, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

I remember her very well.  She was a fighter, smart, and a very quick wit.  My father used to make fun of her which just made me pay closer to attention to what she was saying and doing.  She isn't given enough credit for her work in the advancement of women's rights.

This post was edited by Harry at April 4, 2017 4:37 PM MDT
      April 2, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

I remember seeing her somewhere. At a press conference, I think. 
      April 2, 2017 11:13 AM MDT

I don't know if you are joking or not.  So, I'll assume you are being serious and unfortunately your search for her photo gave you the wrong woman.  

That's a photo of Helen Thomas who was a reporter and the first woman to be a member of the White House Press Corp.  She passed away in 2013 at the ripe old age of 92 

Bella Abzug was a lawyer and U.S. Representative for New York.  

April 2, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

• I remember her 
      April 2, 2017 12:28 PM MDT