Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is metamodernism?

What is metamodernism?

There is modernism, postmodernism, and now metamodernism, apparently a movement. I'm finding it in art, literature, and architecture, but I'm not sure I understand it. (Metamodernism for kids: "Batman: The Lego Movie"). 

Posted - April 2, 2017

Responses

• As I understand it's applying the classical art styles with the modern interpretation of art.   Sorta like if you took the grandiosity of baroque and combined it with the absurdity of Dada. Not that exactly but as a possible example.  Or take the stylistic attributes of impressionism and applied them surrealism.
      April 2, 2017 1:30 PM MDT

• The Batman Lego movie would classify as metamodernism because it's telling the story and characters of Batman trough the world of Legos.  It's not the classical Batman and it's not a movie about Legos.   It's two things that already existed combined to create something entirely ( or arguably somewhat ) new.
      April 2, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

@Glis, thanks! That helps a lot! 
      April 2, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

• I'm not sure I entirely understand what encompasses it or how exactly it's different than postmodernism.  I've also heard described as postmodernism without the pretentiousness and without the focus on cynicism and on a more romanticised outlook.
      April 2, 2017 4:05 PM MDT

• Beyond modernism? 
      April 3, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

• I have no idea, but my immediate response is that it is a rubbish word used by prattling, pedantic academics.
      April 2, 2017 3:47 PM MDT