Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Could a race of sentient, intelligent but emotional- less beings survive and accomplish anything?

Could a race of sentient, intelligent but emotional- less beings survive and accomplish anything?

This was inspired by Element 99's recent question.  I'm thinking of Star Trek's Vulcans.  without emotions what would drive or inspire a race, or individual, to strive towards anything? 

Posted - April 2, 2017

Responses

At risk of sounding nerd-like. Vulcans accomplished much before they gave up emotions. It was the embrace of pure logic that saved an otherwise smart but savage race from the brink of extinction. Therefore we may conclude the answer is no for in the beginning but yes later on in order to survive. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 2, 2017 8:30 PM MDT
      April 2, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

• I too considered this.  But the difficulty come in maintaining the society after giving up emotions, 
      April 2, 2017 9:14 PM MDT

If you do anything, there is some kind of motivation behind it. Isn't motivation driven by emotion?

Therefore Xenomorphs are the true pinnacle of the sci-fi hierarchy.
      April 2, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

• Yes, you question is the point.
      April 2, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

• I suppose an instinct of cooperation, of some kind, sorta like ants or bees.
      April 2, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

Hive mentality could be a substitute for emotional drive. You then have a built in directive to advance the collective. Trouble is, is there much original thought? Animals and insects have been doing the same things for thousands of years perhaps more. Ant nests and beaver dams show little improvement over time. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 3, 2017 7:38 AM MDT
      April 3, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

• Is there really anything truly original? Isn't everything new just a rearranging of old originals.
    From far enough you can't see any of that originality, we all look like ants moving about . . Just like ants look to us from our heads. .  . Maybe the difference is one of degree and not of substance. . . I hope that makes sense.
      April 3, 2017 1:13 PM MDT