Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Calexit getting big support from Brexit organizer. Not to succeed but to make an East and West California? Good or bad?

Calexit getting big support from Brexit organizer. Not to succeed but to make an East and West California? Good or bad?

http://sfist.com/2017/03/26/latest_calexit_gambit_split_califor.php

Posted - April 2, 2017

Responses

In case you never heard it, there was a joke about sixty years ago proposing to split the state into Northern CA and Southern CA with the line at San Francisco. Well, San Jose wanted to be in Northern CA so they moved the line. Then Santa Barbara wanted to be in Northern CA so they moved the line again. This went on and on until San Diego wanted to be in Northern CA and the only city left in Southern CA was Los Angeles. That was all anybody wanted, but they didn't want to be so blatant about it, so they dropped the plan.
      April 2, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

The entire state is ungovernable and is one of the world's top ten economies in spite of itself NOT because.
      April 2, 2017 8:21 PM MDT

If California was to split, the eastern part would have to be absorbed by Nevada, because it would be unsustainable as a State. There's nothing there.
    Unless Tronald Dump is assassinated, we could see the return of the CSA - but it won't be split along the Mason-Dixon line, this time the Confederate States will be NY and CA. Possibly Hawaii as well, but that could simply declare independence. I'm sure there's a pretender to the throne of Kamehameha somewhere.
      April 2, 2017 7:38 PM MDT

It has agriculture and a berry picker workforce. It also has my love, San Diego with the military that is there. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 3, 2017 6:38 AM MDT
      April 2, 2017 8:24 PM MDT

• What do you know about NYS?   Obviously nothing.
      April 2, 2017 9:24 PM MDT

• San Diego would never agree to join "Eastern California". I had a plan to divide it into four states: Jefferson in the north, El Dorado in the center and east, Ohlone in the west, and Ventura in the south. Each state gets a fair piece of the geography and each one gets decent cities. I'll have to show my map of that some time...

In all seriousness, I'm a Californian and I have no desire to see the state split. 
      April 2, 2017 8:52 PM MDT

If that's what they want, let them vote on it. I'm indifferent. 

I was speaking to a person a work a few days ago. She asked; "Have you ever been out West?". I said; "Only to LA". Her response went something like; "That's not what I meant, baby, California is BS! It could fall off in to the ocean for all I care". She was so mad, she walked away. lol 

April 2, 2017 8:59 PM MDT

I just found it interesting. I am from Illinois originally and we have always said we need a North and South Illinois because the North decides for tbe South everything and the south get cheated on the school money etc. 
      April 3, 2017 4:21 AM MDT

Did you mean secede rather than succeed?

I don't understand how this relates to Brexit. I don't think California is going to be divided into two states, and I don't think that any states are going to successfully secede from this (presently) sh*tshow of a country. If they do manage to, I hope they'll accept refugees! :)
      April 2, 2017 11:32 PM MDT

Yes. Secede. 
    I don't know either. Just seen where that Nigel guy from Brexit was getting involved.
      April 3, 2017 4:18 AM MDT

And that really tells us that it's complete crap. Ask any Brit about him and his lies.  
      April 3, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

I personally don't see the northern part of "West California" agreeing to this. I have family and friends who live in CA and they don't want to be lumped in with LA in any kind of split.

Also there was a group in south Florida that wanted to split Florida into a North and South Florida. They wanted to take the I-4 corridor and points south for Southern Florida because they felt the state government were not taking their needs seriously. This particular group had built on swamp land and they started having flooding issues. They basically wanted Central Florida to pay for their water abatement. It was quickly squashed when Central Florida laughed at them, and told them if there would be a split we'll go with the northern part of the state. This post was edited by Gatorblu at April 3, 2017 6:40 AM MDT
      April 3, 2017 6:10 AM MDT

• After reading the article? I had to chuckle at it. There has been a North-South debate before but nothing like this garbage. People seem to forget that we've had Republican governors plenty of times. This is funny actually. It'll never happen. Guess that would put me in the Northeast! Just more hot air.
      April 3, 2017 7:25 AM MDT