Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Anyone here ever have to deal with Rose of Sharron?

Anyone here ever have to deal with Rose of Sharron?

I really would love some advice for dealing with this awful  plant.  It's not only ugly as hell but spreads like  herpes  in a whorehouse  and is equally as hard to get rid of.

I curse the people who ever planted this monstrosity of a plant.   Any advice for getting rid of it?  It's one plant I have not been able to find a game plan for in all my years of doing brush clearing and landscape work.

Posted - April 3, 2017

Responses

• Hibiscus syriacus.  for clarity since Rose of Sharon is applied to different plants.
    Image result for Hibiscus syriacus
      April 3, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

The house across from my sister has one. It is gorgeous. I want to get one. I had a lilac bush that did that. It spread everywhere. I finally had a friend with a Jeep come over and yank it out.
      April 3, 2017 1:05 PM MDT

• Don't do it man.   It send shoots out like crazy,   kills neighboring plants.   It loves to send it's shoots to driveway edges and to the foundations of houses were it is impossible to dig up and does damage  to the foundation. On top of the ground shoots it seeds like a mofo.  It's a terrible plant.
     Well do as you please but know what your getting into.
    The flowers also have a terrible smell.

It's the foundation and driveway edge ground shoots and seedings that are the hard part.   When it can't be dug up or pulled really..
      April 3, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

• Hahahahahaha!  That was quite a lively analogy!
      April 3, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

• Glad you like it.
      April 3, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

I don't know why, but it is probably the only flowering bush I can't stand. 
      April 3, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

ive never had one but ive had other plants
      April 3, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

Ahh that's right.. i was going to say that if I remember rightly what you call rose of sharon isn't the same as what we call same.. Your's looks like a hibiscus. a prized plant here... I have two... and am proud of them... THis is like the hosta question.. we would love to be able to grow them like you do... take comfort in my envy.
      April 3, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

• Yes it's a hibiscus.   It's actually invasive here.   I've delt with it on my own and for other people.   The problem is that it spreads so horribly and into crevices were it ruins foundations and patios.   Very hard to keep control of and does a lot of damage.  It's one of those problem plants that I loath when someone asks me to take care of it since it is nearly immortal.  It's when it grows shoots against foundations and under driveways that it becomes a real nightmare.  One of those plants that needs constant attention or will take over.
      April 3, 2017 4:18 PM MDT

Sharon IS a herpe. You're right about that. 
      April 4, 2017 3:27 AM MDT