Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What do you do that makes your life worth living?

What do you do that makes your life worth living?

For me relationships, nature, and music are the things that come to mind at the moment.

Posted - April 4, 2017

Responses

Nothing deliberate I suppose....my parents taught me and my siblings to harm no one purposefully and spread cheer and be helpful whenever and wherever we can....I try doing that.....now it comes naturally;))
      April 4, 2017 11:02 PM MDT

• I commune with my laptop. It communes back.
      April 5, 2017 12:33 AM MDT

• Hello Call Me Ishmael,

One fascinating part of my life right now is to learn about reality...in terms of consciousness and for me the basic concepts have come from Buddhism, and then to correlate that with the post-classical physical sciences: relativity, quantum field theory, chaos theory, fractal geometry, cosmology and such. We are such a fascinating species, all made of star-stuff! (I read books and haunt YouTube for this.)

Then, in the process of learning how I myself 'tick,' I started reading about the history of Western civilization to see what I could learn about why we act like we do, all our wonderful things but the 20th century the most violent and murderous ever!
    And then in my spare time, I work on saving the world and that is only 90% joking.
      April 5, 2017 1:42 AM MDT

• Impressive stuff, Virginia.
      April 5, 2017 4:52 AM MDT

• (sigh), who ever thought it, Dozy, who knew where life would lead...
      April 5, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

• This unification or merger is something I've been seeking to bring about in my own life and for myself. I shall thank you to share through PM how you've gone about it. 
      April 7, 2017 4:55 AM MDT

• WT, I will give it some thought...see if I can come up with something to fit in a note...
    Sometimes, however, I wonder if there might be a natural healing dynamic at work in the universe, where we just naturally "find" whatever is most helpful/useful to us... 

As you know I encountered Buddhist philosophy and Yogananda in the 1980's, and life finally started to make sense...now with the discoveries of these science, those amazing findings seem already familiar!
      April 7, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

Wake up in the morning. 
      April 5, 2017 4:46 AM MDT

(Holds pinky  up to one corner of mouth) It's a start. (Nods condescendingly) 
      April 5, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

• THIS IS NOT TO START AN ARGUMENT...Knowing we have a Heavenly Father who is in control.
      April 5, 2017 6:31 AM MDT

No argument here.  Read my blog about life after death.
      April 5, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

Many little things. I like keeping track of what is going on in the world. 
      April 5, 2017 6:51 AM MDT

Kind of scary though, isn't it?  It does make me thankful that I don't live in Somalia, Syria or Yemen.
      April 5, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

Fer sure.
      April 5, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

Nothing makes life 'worth' living, we're alive without a choice.. really. There are things that make life worth enduring, though, if I had to choose just one I'd go with music. 
      April 5, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

• NobodyLair, your avatar appears you are young, but your comments are quite mature, and realistic.
      April 7, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

Thank you, your words are very kind, Virginia and so are you :)
      April 7, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

I grow organic potatoes them after I harvest them the wife makes me a big plate of french fries. Then well I'm eating them I start dreaming about what variety of potatoes I will grow next season. Cheers!
      April 5, 2017 8:31 AM MDT

• Dear Nanoose,
    I did almost a double-take when you mentioned growing potatoes, and you are on Vancouver Island...but then I thought maybe you are on the eastern side.

I have tended to head toward Tofino, with all the storms...was fascinated and delighted with the candelabra trees, like these in the photo near Port Renfrew. I lived on Mt. Baker at the time, and you could see candelabra trees there too, in areas of storms where the trees were exposed to very stressful weather conditions.
      April 5, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

I do live on the east side of the Island but I'm pretty sure you can grow potatoes any were on the Island. The area I live in is know around the Word as the Banana Belt Of Canada because we almost have tropical weather. One of my grounds keeping customers has a couple of lemon trees probably couldn't grow them any were else in Canada. Was wondering about those candelabra trees and them being weather stressed and if that area was that logged out. In the 70's they logged almost ever Costal Mountain Fir tree on the Island and it was like a domino affect because there were other trees that depended on them for shelter and nutrients. Then the trees that depended on those other trees started to die out. Pretty soon will have nothing left but Alders (nothing can kill them besides a chain saw and luckily there's no market for Alder so there safe for now).  Cheers!
      April 5, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

• Lemon trees!!! Almost hard to believe, Nanoose.
    I am guessing the Port Renfrew area would have been quite well logged over...found your observation about the domino effect very interesting.
    Alders are fine of course, but nothing like the diverse potential forest of that amazing raincoast country!
      April 5, 2017 7:16 PM MDT

Making friends and just listening to the things they have to say. Sometimes I'm able to help people through their problems without trying to "fix" it. I never expect anything in return except their friendship. Still, it's bitten me in the butt more than once.
      April 5, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

• My aim: To live respected, and die regretted. 
      April 7, 2017 4:59 AM MDT

I'm not to that point.

I's just trying to get the bucket list put together.
      April 7, 2017 5:02 AM MDT