Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Have you ever wished you could walk around in a black and white world?

Have you ever wished you could walk around in a black and white world?

There is just something seductive about black and white films and photos.  Sometimes I wish there was a way to turn the color on and off so as to walk around in those black and white worlds.
Like Pleasantville but minus the Leave it to Beaver blandness.

Posted - April 5, 2017

Responses

The "Twilight Zone" has already been there.  An actress was able to join her friends in a black and white film from "back in her day."
      April 5, 2017 1:39 AM MDT

• Dear Glis,
    My question for you does not need an answer...but I am wondering if you have experienced depression...

...because what this reminds me of is my own depression of even brilliant sunlight actually appearing black, and just staying with that as people did in the 1950's-'60's...and then suddenly/or slowly, eventually realizing, omg, this is beautiful...

April 5, 2017 3:01 AM MDT

• Interesting answer. Lovely picture, too, although I'm worried about the girl. She's running to get out of the rain which is impossible -- there's nowhere for her to go. Why isn't she opening up and enjoying the experience?
      April 5, 2017 4:58 AM MDT

• Dozy, look at her feet...she MIGHT be barefoot...also no raincoat...might be running for the pure joy, the exuberance?
      April 5, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

• I'll concede both. It's a very vibrant picture. I like it a lot.
      April 5, 2017 12:14 PM MDT

• Just the normal brief episodes a few times.

I want to run down that black and white street.  It looks so nice to me.
      April 5, 2017 5:36 AM MDT

No.  I'll give it some thought though.

No. 

April 5, 2017 4:00 AM MDT

Even black and white photos contains a lot of shades in grey. I wouldn't want it any different.
      April 5, 2017 4:18 AM MDT

• I don't mean it in the literal binary sense.
      April 5, 2017 5:32 AM MDT

I think there is a great analogy here. What is right, and what is wrong. Who are the good, and who are the bad. Does black never do anything of white, and white never step into the dark? I think the fascinating and inspiring can be found inside all these shades. Just like beauty, the imperfect perfections add that last edge. Hmm.
      April 5, 2017 5:42 AM MDT

• Yeah.   I think it would be hot to hit the switch and make out in black and white. 
      April 5, 2017 6:44 AM MDT

Lolz. Would fit with a little red mixed into it, no?

April 5, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

• :D
    Now you're getting it!
      April 5, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

Think I did all along. ;-)
      April 5, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

• No.  I mean you're getting it now.
    Image result for black and white paddle spanking
      April 5, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

Ouch, Uncle. 
      April 5, 2017 7:43 AM MDT

• Not exactly, but about 50 years ago I attended a meditation group and saw something in black and white that was one of the most incredible memories of my life. It wasn't quite the black and white we understand but had qualities that were quite different from either colour or lack of colour.

I could live in a black and white world. Heck, I don't even mind watching old black and white movies.
      April 5, 2017 4:55 AM MDT

• I love black and white movies.   Personally to me  it's better than color.  It's more effective at creating different moods and atmospheres.
      April 5, 2017 6:44 AM MDT

• I have sometimes looked really closely at the old B&W movies...and perhaps there is something else; the resolution is often very very good alongside colour movies which can look almost blurry. And, the cinematography can be especially highly artistic, maybe because they knew they had to convey without colour?
      April 5, 2017 9:38 AM MDT

• Very true about the resolution and sharpness.

It's just the nature of the medium really.   Color isn't able to capture shadows the way black and white does.  That's a big reason Flim Nior doesn't translate very well into color cinema.    They do both require different set designs and cinematography techniques for sure though.

The reason B&W often looks so much better than old color movies has to do with the quality of films available at the time and also how the two mediums age on the old reels.  B&W film at that time was just better at capturing clear images and sharp lines better than color film in the early years of color and later years of B&W.
      April 5, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

• Hmmm...interesting, Glis...you have checked into it, and I had indeed wondered if the early years of colour the technology might not have been there...

I was quite young when Film Noir was at its peak, 1940's and 1950's, and took it for granted at the time. However, after 2000 I discovered it was a whole genre with its own label, and thoroughly enjoyed going back and exploring that impressive work, the local library had a good collection.
      April 5, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

• No ..... I love black and white photography.... But I love live life in colour....messy colours ... Cos I said so:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qrRRhoS3KFk
      April 5, 2017 7:49 PM MDT