Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What Is the Fascination, the Beauty, of Film Noir?

What Is the Fascination, the Beauty, of Film Noir?

Unlike daily news stories that leave you dirty and disgusted, the horrors of film noir could fascinate, even soothe and darkly uplift…

Classic film noir (~1940~1950) grew out of German expressionism and then the angst of The Great Depression; “grit and reality, in counterpoint to the American Dream - film noir is all about losers remaining losers.”

Lighting is critical in these haunting classics… “a perfect blend of form and content, where the desperation and hopelessness of the situations is reflected in the visual style, which drenches the world in shadows and only occasional bursts of sunlight…Harsh highlights and expressionist shadows are played to the max.”

So what is going on, why does the fascination now continue long after? Also, what is your favourite, and maybe do you just have some free association?

http://www.boxing.com/boxing_film_noir.html

First photo, closing scene from THE BIG COMBO; John Alton crafting many of the iconic images of film noir.
Second photo, beautiful Rita Hayworth did many pin-up photos but look at her depth of beauty in LADY FROM SHANGHAI. 
Third, a dark thriller panned at the time, A LONELY PLACE is now considered to be one of Humphrey Bogart's finest performances (and Gloria Grahame exquisite too, imo).

Posted - April 5, 2017

Responses

• Being that Turner Classic Movies is my favorite channel, I watch all these movies all the time no matter how many times I've seen them. What I really notice about the actors and actresses in those movies is that they really put all of themselves into their parts and you sit there thinking this is all real with real people. The acting back then was simply superb and mesmerizing. The acting today is just that, acting. The older movies really make you believe and entertain you. I love them. 30's, 40's, 50's movies were the best! The wartime movies were great also! Like these two that are sad.
      April 5, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

• Rooster, it is interesting you should mention the acting...at first, I assumed I was just getting more cynical as I got older not so drawn into later films; but you go back to some of those old ones and YES the acting still compelling...pulls you in over and over, some of them.
      April 5, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

• I just finished watching both of the trailers...and I know if you like the movies, that means they will have lots of historical accuracy!
      April 5, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

• For me it's the visuals.. I love photography and specially B and W.. I once read a description of it as painting with light... That'll do me.
      April 5, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

• I had not heard that description of the photography Ozgirl, painting with light...it is so apropos...thank you.
      April 5, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

• Don't know if you are familiar with Ansell Adams works... But if you are you'll get it :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 5, 2017 5:29 PM MDT
      April 5, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

• Ozgirl...yes, Ansell Adams; all of his work, and very impressed too by his (courageous) use of the medium for conveying the poignancy of the underdog, the oppression.
      April 5, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

• Yep... Funny how these topics diverge.. :)
      April 5, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

• It's not a genre I particularly enjoyed. There were plenty of exceptions of course -- The Third Man and Key Largo among them. That probably says more about me than about film noir. 

But your question brought to mind a French short I once saw which, if not noir, was definitly a murky shade of grey. It was called Morte du Rat and there wasn't a single syllable uttered through the whole thing. It was all pantomimed. 

Process worker ogling voluptuous woman in brief dress allows production line to stuff up. 
    He gets sack goes home and is met by smiling wife. He snarls at her.
    Wife, no longer smiling, shouts at young son. 
    Son kicks the dog. 
    Dog chases the cat. 
    Cat kills a rat. 

And the rat died because the man was ogling. There's no justice, is there? 
      April 5, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

• Oh Dozy...what a powerful parable, Morte du Rat, actually both a parable and a direct statement of fact.

And I also certainly loved The Third Man and Key Largo.
      April 5, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

I once met a man... who mentally I was so in tune with.... and he was very into Bob Dylan and Film Noir... so... I went to meet him and... watched a film noir - what struck me was how much the film gets inside your head...as in it really makes you think; in a away many other genres don't.  
    He also copied for me a couple of series of Bob Dylan talking on a radio show about American music.. fascinating and it was this guy who, unlike anyone else made me actually appreciate SOME Dylan... 

LOL unfortunately said guy and i were erm incompatible in other areas but I am thankful I experienced film noir and bob dylan :)
      April 5, 2017 3:11 PM MDT

• Hi DDB, I had not actually considered that perspective...how the films noir get you to think...very good point! And yes, one of the lovely aspects of friendship...how we can see new and different sometimes...ty...
      April 5, 2017 4:14 PM MDT

Out of the Past - Mitchum & Greer.
      April 5, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

• Oh Dear Louie,
    I had never even heard of that film, and Googling, it is considered one of the very greatest of all!
    I am definitely adding it to my list, thank you!
      April 5, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

Film Noir simply intrigues me. It's beautiful to watch and it speaks to my twisted self. It's never as it seems, and when you think you know what's going to happen, it surprises you. 
      April 5, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

• Yes, it surprises you!
    Hi Dear DragonFly...that is what made me think of the question...in a strange kind of way it speaks to something dark within us all, maybe...and for some reason, at the same time it is truly beautiful.
      April 5, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

It is! I love all of the old ones, but I love a newer film that is considered Film Noir but its mixed with Science Fiction. Its called Blade Runner. Not everyone's cup of tea. 
      April 5, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

• I know Blade Runner well.
      April 5, 2017 5:59 PM MDT

Hey Rooster, Hope you are well. :)
      April 5, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

• I have heard of it only, Dragonfly...and I see that Rooster knows of it...I may want to add it to my list!
      April 5, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

I haven't found many who liked it. I loved it. If you like both genres then you might like it. I really loved Rutger Hauer. He plays a replicant who is being hunted by Harrison Ford. The whole movie is in dark and shadows. Very beautiful. There will be a sequel that many have been waiting for. Its called Blade Runner 2049 supposed to be due at the end of the year. Ridley Scott will again be directing. 
      April 5, 2017 6:19 PM MDT

• Okay that does it, BLADE RUNNER is now officially going on my list!
      April 5, 2017 6:58 PM MDT

Enjoy! 
      April 5, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

Best film noir ever:

This one tells you everything you need to know:

The "original" is great too:

Not strictly a "flim noir", but great:

Lessons learned: Make the wrong decision, life will get you. Make the right decision, life will get you. You're screwed.

This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at April 5, 2017 7:21 PM MDT
      April 5, 2017 7:05 PM MDT