Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » I sometimes receive replies that are not responsive to the question I asked. See below for an example. Why is that?

I sometimes receive replies that are not responsive to the question I asked. See below for an example. Why is that?

QUESTION: "Do you think Stalin was a monster?"

REPLY: "Hitler was the real monster and here's why"

Do you think  such a reply is responsive to that specific question? How?

Posted - April 7, 2017

Responses

• In a way, Yes. In that particular question because no one really knows who was worse. Stalin or Hitler. But they should have made references to Stalin while answering your question. I know I would have because I've read a lot about both of them and they were both evil monsters.
    But you have a point there. First answer your question and then bring Hitler into the equation.
      April 7, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

((hugs)) Precisely! I didn't ask for a  comparison with Hitler or anyone. I asked SPECIFICALLY about Stalin. Answer the question I asked FIRST and then do your thing on Hitler. I think it is very rude to ignore the question asked and reply with something they'd rather talk about. They should  talk about it on their own time, not mine. They should ask the question they are answering to get it out of their system. It is very aggravating and some folks do it consistently! AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Saturday! :)
      April 8, 2017 5:43 AM MDT

My favorite movie is Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
      April 7, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

• Hi RosieG,
    Yes I would say the reply in your example is indeed responsive, but with qualifications.

Logically, however, we are trained to keep our answers tight and to the point...in which case the example does not respond adequately to your question.

As to how the answer could be considered responsive, just look to the literature emerging in the early twentieth century called stream-of-consciousness...a kind of free association that is believed to be more in keeping with how our minds actually work. James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, Faulkner...
    So the stream of consciousness answer could be considered to give you more of a personal heart-felt response than the more technically accurate, logical response.
    I myself sometimes prefer the free association answers...as the person may be giving more of him/herself, but hopefully you would receive both kinds. 

April 7, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

"Remembrance of Things Past". Marcel Proust.  I am familiar with stream-of-consciousness literature Vriginia. Here's how I look at it  from the perspective of being a question asker on an internet social site. It's a matter of following the directions. Responding to the request. Listening to the requester. Providing a response that is thoughtful/useful/helpful/informative and PERTINENT. I ask a specific question because I am interested in what people think about that specific subject. Now being flooded with their thoughts..variations on a theme..riffs...rants.. is not what I'm after. First and foremost answer the question that is asked. That is the polite thing to do in my opinion. THEN you can go off on various tangents and explore countless things that are tertiary to me but could well be of great/greater value. But there is no value at all if one's request is ignored. That's just my opinion. Since I'm the one asking the question I have a vested interest in having it respected and treated kindly. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday m'dear! :)
      April 8, 2017 6:03 AM MDT

I was told on here that as a poster one should be grateful for people taking the trouble to reply :P  But that aside, I think it was a relevant answer but the poster didn't spend time explaining why... in their mind though there was a  connection.. or probably was.
      April 7, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

I ask specific questions for a reason Addb. If I wanted the discussion to include Hitler I would have said so in my question. I asked the question to which I wanted an answer and I did not want my question to be used as a springboard for something that the respondent was more interested in discussing. They should answer the question and not reconfigure mine to suit their needs. I don't like it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. I am not grateful for people replying who are rude/insulting. I appreciate replies from those who contribute thoughtful, useful, helpful, informative responses. That's how I learn about things I didn't know. However I still expect to have people who show up ANSWER THE QUESTION I ASK. At least first. Then if they want to go off on a riff about  tertiary subjects that's ok. But ANSWER THE QUESTION I  ASK FIRST.
      April 8, 2017 5:39 AM MDT

This type of thing usually happens in the political section when a question is asked that puts a negative slant to a position/action of a party or more often specific politician. The answerer will point to a party/politician who did the same or worse showing that it is the same stuff different party. Seeing if the op will agree both sides are wrong or both sides are fine.
      April 8, 2017 7:01 AM MDT

maybe they dont understand the question and dont know how to answer it
      April 9, 2017 5:32 PM MDT