Active Now

Thebigd
Spunky
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think this is actually true?

Do you think this is actually true?

Source: Paul Ryan: Black Men Are Lazy and the Cause of Poverty in the United States

Posted - April 7, 2017

Responses

In about the same proportions as any other group of people.
      April 7, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

Woah. No way do I believe in a y stereotyping. Has he totally lost it? Sheesh. 
      April 7, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

It bears noting that he didn't actually say that...
      April 7, 2017 3:27 PM MDT

Absolutely not true and what is true is the level of ignorance, bigotry and stupidity on the part of the person saying that. 
      April 7, 2017 2:22 PM MDT

Paul Ryan did not say it. 
      April 7, 2017 9:16 PM MDT

Terrible!!
      April 7, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

It is terrible when people lie and spread fake news. Paul Ryan did not say that.
      April 7, 2017 9:18 PM MDT

Sounds kinda funny and tending to hypocritical, when only calling out one side. 
      April 8, 2017 3:20 AM MDT

I am calling out the article it is a lie and spreading fake news.
      April 8, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

You do so well. But always defending misspoken, misinterpreted, not what he meant etc. when it's the other way. Is what makes it hypocrite and partisan. 
      April 8, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

Just pointing out a false quote/paraphrase. I may be partisan but I am not hypocritical. Trust me there is plenty of false news that is sent out by the right that I don't bother with cause it is BS.
    If it is not in the format of a quote, why did your answer above sound like you believe Ryan actually said it? Perhaps because the way it is written looks like it is quoting Paul Ryan.

SapphicHeart (good girl):  Woah. No way do I believe in a y stereotyping. Has he totally lost it? Sheesh

April 8, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

See, the tending hypocrisy starts right here... you call something out when you think it's BS created by an opposition, but simply ignore when it's your own. If you can't see yourself, well...
      April 9, 2017 12:27 AM MDT

Ignore....Meaning I don't post questions here implying that it is true. That is all I can do. I have no authority to remove all fake news from websites. Yes, I am a mod here but I have no authority to remove something simply because it is false. Only if it violates the rules here set by JA not me. 
    Show me a fake news question here from someone on the right. They are very few and very far between. I know there have been some and I have posted answers saying it was incorrect. 

I noticed you did not explain why your answer and assumed Ryan had actually said those words. If it was not a quote.
      April 9, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

You have the authority to make the same comments inside questions based on fake news from your own partisan viewpoint, and you are a great user of some of the sources using such tactics. It's your choice to present yourself any way you wish. Think we already were here once before. Hmm.

I don't have to explain. Make it what you want. I am done here, you do any way. Never seen you change a stand point in a discussion. I'm out of here and leave it to you making the last word if you want to. 

April 9, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

And when I have seen BS posted by the right, I have called BS. 
      April 9, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

Totally agree with you!
      April 7, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

XOXOXOXO
      April 8, 2017 11:10 PM MDT

• Dear Zack,
    I don't think that is what Paul Ryan was saying...or at least, I think he should be given the opportunity to respond to that interpretation.

However, I DO have a quarrel with what I think he is really saying...which is, that somehow the poor inner city folk have a "culture problem" and the others do not. And his solution, that 'civil society' people have themselves SO together that they are somehow superior enough to mentor, 'get involved' and 'make a difference.'

For sanity, integrity and good sense, I would cast my lot with those poor inner city folk any day, also the lower middle class, over the wealthy classes.
    ”You know your buddy (conservative scholar) Charles Murray or (public policy professor) Bob Putnam over at Harvard, those guys have written books on this, which is we have got this tailspin of culture in our inner cities, in particular, of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning the value and the culture of work; and so there’s a real culture problem here that has to be dealt with. Everybody’s got to get involved. So, this is what we talk about when we talk about civil society. If you’re driving from the suburb to the sports arena downtown by these blighted neighborhoods, you can’t just say: I’m paying my taxes,  government’s going to fix that. You need to get involved. You need to get involved yourself – whether through a good mentor program or some religious charity, whatever it is, to make a difference, and that’s how we help resuscitate our culture.” This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 7, 2017 9:30 PM MDT
      April 7, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

You beat me to it!
      April 7, 2017 3:26 PM MDT

I think you should have posted the actual audio here if you wanted an honest answer. I suppose if the *site / author that wrote this story wanted to have an honest discussion about this they could have posted the full audio. It's pretty obvious that the *site /author put the words "Black Men are Lazy and the Cause of Poverty in the United States" into Paul's mouth, he didn't actually say that.

I guess when you (the site / author) pretend to quote him in the headline and then link to audio in the bottom, many will instinctively believe he made the statement without actually listening to discover that was in no way what he said. Some will listen and think: "Eh, close enough." They're actively manipulating their readers, when they want to know why they're thought of as a "fringe" site, this may have something to do with it. If people want to know where the cries of "fake news" come from, articles like this may have something to do with it.

You can disagree with someone without branding them a racist by claiming they said something they didn't say.

This post was edited by ForkNdaRoad at April 7, 2017 9:25 PM MDT
      April 7, 2017 3:26 PM MDT

Click on my link under my question and scroll down. The full interview is there already. This post was edited by Zack at April 8, 2017 12:36 AM MDT
      April 7, 2017 8:00 PM MDT

So, you know you are misquoting Ryan.
      April 7, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

Interpreting isn't quoting. Hmm. 
      April 8, 2017 12:36 AM MDT

The link to the article is formatted as if it is a quote. 

April 8, 2017 6:25 AM MDT