Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think this is actually true?

Do you think this is actually true?

Source: Paul Ryan: Black Men Are Lazy and the Cause of Poverty in the United States

Posted - April 7, 2017

Responses

No it isn't. It doesn't say it's citing him, there are furthermore no quotes around the interpretation. Furthermore the question opens for you to tell if it's true. Nope. No quote.
      April 8, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

Yet, your answer replied as if it was a quote. 
      April 9, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

Which evidences that the author was psychologically manipulating the reader who might only glance at the headline without scrutinizing the veracity of the information contained within the article.

It achieved it's desired outcome and this sort of trickery is the telltale distinction between "opinion" and outright propaganda.
      April 9, 2017 10:54 AM MDT

It is when your 'interpretation" looks like this:

Source: Paul Ryan: Black Men are Lazy and the Cause of Poverty in America

This article is at best disingenuous, at worst it's deliberate psychological manipulation.
      April 9, 2017 10:51 AM MDT

Is not mine. As for the rest, help yourself read my reply any way you want. I am sure you already do with or without my helping you.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 9, 2017 1:56 PM MDT
      April 9, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

I know it is not your interpretation, sorry if you thought I was suggesting it was. Though you did react to it as if it was a quote in your initial response.

Not sure where you're going with your last statement, but I stand by my assertion that the author of this article knew that people would interpret the headline as an actual quote because of how it was framed.

I pointed this deception out to you not to defend Ryan---I don't even like the guy and I don't agree with him either---but because I think deliberate psychological manipulation is an affront to intellectual honesty. It makes the casual reader appear stupid or deceptive if they pass it on to someone else or take it as fact, it shifts the blame of spreading propaganda to the reader who repeats it rather than the author with whom it originated. It's a disgusting game to play with peoples heads. That's all, it wasn't intended as an insult to you or anyone else.

April 9, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

I might be biased, or I am... but I unfortunately mostly see these objections towards outlets criticizing the current POTUS and the GOP. Sorry counting you into the group without knowing you, or having seen you much around. I have no issue with people making the same sort of critical angle as you, or m2c do here as long as it's fair and goes for everyone making such manipulative interpretations independent of side they have been made. As said, I can't for sure say you do the same as m2c and was a bit too snarky in my comment. I should let the benefit of doubt play your way. However such massive appearance inside one post do alert me. 

As for the OP, I do believe all he did was posting a question based on an article he read. He did not state whether he believed this or not, in fact this was raised as the main question here, in one of the angles one can take it.

I wish you a god day/night and look forward seeing you opposing as strongly when the same happens the other way.

April 9, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

I don't think your or my bias necessarily has anything to do with it, truly. And I'll grant the same to the OP, that's why I was careful to point out my remarks applied to the author of the article in my initial response.

It was the author of this article that was being disingenuous, all of the disagreement here that followed was due to the deception of the author. It's near impossible to look at this headline and not think: "WTH is Ryan smoking, who could say such a thing?" The author knew that, it was worded that way for just that reason.

I suspect if you read through my responses on other posts you'll see I've already done that here. I just despise seeing people taken for a mental ride like that. The last time I saw something this deceptive was a headline that read: "Obama gives Iran $1 Billion for Nukes." He was returning their money, we were holding it due to sanctions. That was equally awful, just as an example.

Same to you and again, I'm sorry if my words were perceived as an insult of you, that truly was not the intent.

This post was edited by ForkNdaRoad at April 9, 2017 3:09 PM MDT
      April 9, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

Is all good. The media lives by these headings. I never take it for granted that a heading is telling me the truth. I don't do it one way or another. As goes for the US politics I am blessed with additional angles seen from an European side. Not that it always makes it better though. Politics here is influenced by US politics, and it's being used in our domestic politics too. Just like Europe has been used in the US politics, not the least during the campaigns up to election. Much has been presented falsely and outside context. I am used to build my own picture based on various sources. :-)
      April 9, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

I didn't realize you were in Europe, is that right?

The media do that here too, much of our news is presented in that context: *Gasp* "What will the other world power think???" lol I know it this sort of thing must happen in other parts of the world, but it certainly seems like our media is worse when we look abroad sometimes, we're pretty sheltered here from the realities that exist elsewhere.

Thanks again, have a good one :)

April 9, 2017 2:04 PM MDT

It is right, I am in Europe. Biased press will be everywhere. I think they might be less bombastic here, but could be me being used to read them and filter that stuff. Lol. ;-)
      April 9, 2017 2:06 PM MDT

No, the article has only a 59 second snippet of the interview. I had to go to ThinkProgress' audio cloud to get the full almost 8 minute interview which is posted above. I went to the link you provided, it is that article with which I take issue.

I would hope that all reasonable minds would take issue with that headline, it's* pure hyperbole. For a site claiming that Paul attempts to make himself look smart with number gimmicks, they should offer more than straw-men and association fallacies. This post was edited by ForkNdaRoad at April 8, 2017 6:23 AM MDT
      April 7, 2017 9:21 PM MDT

Can you say FAKE NEWS??? I can.
      April 7, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

No, I don't think your quoted statement is actually true. This post was edited by my2cents at April 8, 2017 7:23 PM MDT
      April 7, 2017 7:58 PM MDT

Oh my, aren't we overly aggressive here? Bad hair day?
      April 8, 2017 12:32 AM MDT

no, i think someone is being racist for even saying something like that
      April 8, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

I don't think it is true, I might be lazy and the cause of Poverty tho.

Is there a reputable source saying that he said that?
    That sounds like a class-action lawsuit ready to happen but better act fast, the statute of limitations is really short on defamation.

"Ryan used thinly-veiled, coded language during the interview when he claimed that black men are perfectly satisfied with being poor and do not wish to have a job with a working wage. "  Coded language? This is interesting.

The following is absolutely true though:

Flashback: Hillary Clinton Praised Former KKK Member Sen. Robert Byrd(D)

April 8, 2017 11:42 PM MDT

Yes Clinton sure did. 
      April 9, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

Tt article title in the question is a link to the actual article, I am still uncertain what was actually said and by who, but the whole proposal to have 'upstanding whites' going into the Ghettos and mentor the people there sound a bit too much like a rehash of "white mans burden". Not an idea that should be reawakened. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at April 9, 2017 12:14 PM MDT
      April 9, 2017 12:12 PM MDT

Now I know there are not a lot of inner-city trailer parks, but doesent trailer parks share many of their problems  with the inner-city 'ghettoes'. Maybe we should ask some of the many blacks who have gotten out of ''their' hell to step in and mentor the white trash in the trailerparks.
    How about it 2-cent wouldnt that be a great idea ;-))
      April 9, 2017 12:07 PM MDT

Yes I think any one who needs help learning  how to get ahead in life should get it.  And I don't care who gives it if they want it. 
    And I know personally many trailer park people who need help. Sadly many don't want to it. 
      April 9, 2017 3:23 PM MDT