Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » If you could be the best there ever was at one thing, what would it be and why? Is/was Tiger Woods the best-ever golfer?

If you could be the best there ever was at one thing, what would it be and why? Is/was Tiger Woods the best-ever golfer?

Is Roger Federer the best-ever tennis player?
Who is the best-ever baseball player/football player/hockey player?

Posted - April 8, 2017

Responses

• Every whirlwind cuts a path and makes an impression but then subsides. So it is with many athletes or stars in other endeavors. I think we get too caught up in hype to understand the skills of these people and what it takes to bring those talents to the forefront. We're too busy beating the drum for the "fight of the century" or the "game of the century" (which seem to happen every two or three years). When I was young, I felt that I had the raw talent for boxing. In the right hands, it might have been developed. My problem was that I possessed neither the fire nor the stomach for it. I enjoyed pursuing acting, even though I really had no talent in that area. The stage was great despite mediocre ability. Regarding Tiger Woods, he has made his impact on the game with a tremendous amount of skill. But of all the pro golfers I've been around over the years, he never seemed to have the integrity that so many of the greats of the game possess. Character has its day both on and off the course. 
      April 8, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply driftwood. I think to excel at anything you have to have the passion for it!  Happy Saturday! :)
      April 8, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

Some people call Tiger Woods "arrogant" or "lacking integrity". Those are code words and we all know what they mean.

Tiger Woods had more talent than Nicklaus, Palmer and Trevino - all greats - combined. A cursory look at the stats will prove that. 
      April 8, 2017 12:22 PM MDT

Apologies for butting in here my dear but Tiger Woods does lack integrity! He cheated on his wife with multiple partners. That was very arrogant as well. Thinking he could get away with it. I also feel the same about Kobe Bryant for the exact same reason. He cheated on his wife and created a huge scandal. I have no respect for people like that. I don't give a rat's a** how talented they may be they are rotten human beings. Now I realize that your take on men cheating may be different from mine. I relate to the person who was treated shabbily and cheated on and maybe you relate to the guy and don't think that's so awful. The color of their skin has zero to do with it. That is what you were implying isn't it? Well I despise  Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly, Roger Ailes, Bill Cosby equally for the same reason. Scumbags come in all colors. Again. Apologies for breaking in uninvited but I had to give you my two cents' worth! Bad Rosie made me do it! :)
      April 11, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

Amazingly, I completely forgot about Tiger's bad behavior re the extra-curricular business. You, of course, are correct in what you wrote. My apologies to you and to Driftwood. And, yes, I WAS implying the skin color with code words.

There is no question that on the golf course, Tiger had no competition. But elsewhere, as pointed out by yourself and driftwood, he clearly lacked integrity. 
      April 11, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

I am not a golfer but Jim is. We have seen old tapes of Bobby Jones and I'm kinda partial to him. I can't tell the diff between a great swing and lousy one so I could never evaluate "greatness" formwise. The more wins the better you are I guess. Bobby Jones' demeanor/character appeals to me plus the bloomer pants he wore! I was privileged to watch the recent Master's wherein after 19 years of trying Sergio Garcia won! He deserved it. I saw a movie called "Seve" which was about the life of Severiano Ballesteros. He seemed really nifty to me as well. Sergio won the Green Jacket on what would have been Seve's 60th birthday. Both are Spaniards of course and so it was especially meaningful to Sergio. Seve was a mentor of his as was  Olazabal(sp?)? Both Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus have done so much for children outside of their golf careers which were  exceptional! They have more than given back. I have no idea what or if Tiger ever was interested in anyone but himself. I think he even cheated on his girlfriend Lindsay Vaughn after his divorce. Golf-wise he may be the greatest ever! That means nothing to me.  Thank you for your reply m'dear! Oh. Something you might find disgusting. I read a couple of days ago that a 15-year-old was raped and she was told by some school official that she "wanted it"! Her parents are suing. The attitude of too many I truly believe. Very disheartening. I hope they win millions. No woman "wants it" via RAPE. Unless she is as perverted and sick as the rapist. But there is that "good old boy" attitude and "boys will be boys" that some shrug off. I don't understand it. Do you? Happy Thursday Louie!  :)
      April 13, 2017 5:47 AM MDT

You guess "the more wins the better you are". Precisely. Tiger, in a career shortened by injuries, had greater statistics than anyone who ever played the game, including Bobby Jones. At his peak, sports columnists were writing that Tiger wasn't playing "golf" - he was playing some new game that hadn't been named yet, so far above the field was Tiger.

Citing Palmer and Nicklaus' work for children, you wrote "I have no idea what or if Tiger ever was interested in anyone but himself".  Tiger Woods has done enormously more for children than Palmer or Nicklaus ever dreamed of. The Tiger Woods Foundaton is a multi-million dollar charity serving many thousands of kids for 20 years and still going strong.

You wrote "Golf-wise he may be the greatest ever. That means nothing to me". THAT WAS THE VERY QUESTION YOU ASKED. IS TIGER WOODS THE BEST-EVER GOLFER". YOUR WORDS !!!!!! If it meant "nothing to you" why did you ask it in the first place?

Then you ask if I "understand it", referring to a totally unrelated story about rape. I understand it far better than you ever will if this post represents YOUR understanding about anything. It is filled with malicious slander, misinformation, and downright avoidance of the truth. You should hide your head in shame.
      April 13, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

I did not e xpect this from you Louie. What I said about Tiger is true. I think he is a  scumbag! He cheated on his wife and children with multiple mistresses. After his divorce I believe he even cheated on Lindsay Vaughn, his girlfriend. So whatever his magnificent accomplishments may be I am NOT impressed. They mean nothing to me. Character is what counts with me. All the greatness in the world means nothing if you are a liar and a cheater and a betrayer and a womanizer. That also takes a lot of arrogance thinking he could get away with it! You say I should hide in shame. I think not. I did not know about his foundation. Perhaps he is trying to expiate the guilt he feels for betraying his wife and children so horribly. I don't know. But your diatribe is uncalled for and quite unexpected. The upside is that now I know what lies beneath and will take proper precautionary measures. I won't thank you for this reply. I'm not a hypocrite. But I do wish everyone a Happy whatever day it is so I wish you a Happy Friday. I do hope your response here makes you proud of yourself. You seem so confident and certain of your position. You left no wiggle room. This post was edited by RosieG at April 14, 2017 4:52 AM MDT
      April 14, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

You did NOT reply to ANY of the points in my "diatribe". I expected no better. As a point of fact, Tiger's foundation began BEFORE his divorce. You just won't give up with the innuendo, will you?

No need to reply. I'm done reading your posts. 
      April 14, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

I raced motorcycles with intent to be the best. However, I had no backing, financial or otherwise. At some races, I had as many as 184 fellow competitors. 
      April 8, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

Whoa! That's a LOT bh! What brand motorcycle? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      April 8, 2017 9:59 AM MDT

Yamaha. Always Yamaha. (I worked at a Yamaha dealer)
      April 9, 2017 12:09 PM MDT

My son LOVES Indian bikes bh. I think those are the only brand he has ever owned. Thanks for the info. Was it working there that gave you the passion for them or did you work there BECAUSE of your passion for them?  Jim's youngest son owns a Honda, a Kawasaki and another one but neither Jim nor I remember the brand. He doesn't like Harley Davidson at all. :)
      April 11, 2017 7:20 AM MDT

Yes, Tiger Woods was easly the best-ever golfer (see my reply above to driftwood).

To answer your other question, my wannabee best ever would probably be something in sports. Not only for the recognition, but mostly for the sheer joy of the physicality of sports.  
      April 8, 2017 12:26 PM MDT

Don't know if you're a golfer Louie but Sergio Garcia (after trying for 19 years)  WON the Master's Tournament in Augusta and finally has his green jacket! It was an awesome Sunday! I'd like to be something graceful. Greatest ice skater who ever lived. Greatest ballerina! Greatest dancer! Something like that!  Thank you for your reply. I'll read driftwood next and read what you said! :)
      April 11, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

not sure, i would just want to be the best at whatever i do
      April 8, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply pearl! :)
      April 11, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

• If I could be the best at any  sport I want I'd pick one that actually means something like MMA, boxing, wrestling.  One that translates into  something real.
      April 10, 2017 9:53 PM MDT

Bloody? Physically punishing?  Not me. Maybe it's the girly within me but I abhor all of those "sports" Bunny! Just as I do bullfighting. Different strokes. What does it "mean" to you because none of the ones you listed are meaningful to me for any positive reason. I think of pain/bruises/concussions/broken body parts. Nothing to which I would want any loved one to aspire to. I'm just sayin'! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 11, 2017 7:27 AM MDT

• It's real competition in a real life skill of domination. 
      April 11, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

"Domination"? Physically? A chessmaster, a gold medal athlete, a Nobel prize winner.  They dominate in the real world engaged in real competition but no bruises are involved, no blood is spilled. Maybe it's a macho dude thing Glis. I have no idea how many women enjoy such sports as you describe. There may well be lots of them. I am not among them! Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 15, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

• Chess??  Nobel Prize?   Now you're just moving the goal posts and changing things  to fit your own narrative once again.

As I stated in my answer.  SPORT.

Wrestling and Boxing are Olympic sports BTW.
      April 15, 2017 7:42 AM MDT